Maintenance Errors

Robin Long

Guest
After having new forks fitted to my road bike I proceeded to refit the
sensor for the computer. I placed it in the rough position I wanted and
threaded through the zip tie. Next, I spun the wheel to see if the
compouter worke but the wheel wouldn't revolve. I checked the brakes in
case they were catching and the forks, in case they were fitted wrongly. It
wasn't either of those things. No, I had fed the zip tie round one of the
spokes! Not a bad security measure though.

Have you got a more silly (or sillier) maintenance error? The best one wins
all the muck my mountain bike picked up on the Grizedale Mountain Bike
Challenge. Winner must collect.

Robin.

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:47:38 +0100, Robin Long wrote:

>Have you got a more silly (or sillier) maintenance error? The best one wins
>all the muck my mountain bike picked up on the Grizedale Mountain Bike
>Challenge. Winner must collect.

I once put the cranks on at 0 deg rather than 180 :-(
--
Phil Cook

On 21/9/04 1:40 pm, in article [email protected],
"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:47:38 +0100, Robin Long wrote:
>
>> Have you got a more silly (or sillier) maintenance error? The best one wins
>> all the muck my mountain bike picked up on the Grizedale Mountain Bike
>> Challenge. Winner must collect.

> I once put the cranks on at 0 deg rather than 180 :-(

I had a bolt fall out of the cranks about 10K into a 40K group ride (groupt
of novices) I was leading.. I didn't notice for a while, until the crank
fell off.

30K with one crank was entertaining.

David Martin wrote:
> On 21/9/04 1:40 pm, in article
> [email protected], "Phil Cook"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:47:38 +0100, Robin Long wrote:
>>
>>> Have you got a more silly (or sillier) maintenance error?
>>> The best one wins all the muck my mountain bike picked up on
>>> the Grizedale Mountain Bike Challenge. Winner must collect.

>> I once put the cranks on at 0 deg rather than 180 :-(

> I had a bolt fall out of the cranks about 10K into a 40K group
> ride (groupt of novices) I was leading.. I didn't notice for a
> while, until the crank fell off.
>
> 30K with one crank was entertaining.

Bummer. That happened to me once but I only had half a mile to go but in my
case the bolt didnt come loose the crank cracked.
--
Mark

1x1 wheel, 3x2 wheels & 1x3 wheels.

Robin Long wrote:

> Have you got a more silly (or sillier) maintenance error? The best one wins
> all the muck my mountain bike picked up on the Grizedale Mountain Bike
> Challenge. Winner must collect.

(not on my bike) Replacing a brake cable inner and outer, getting some
brake blocks and only then realising that there was nothing on the
bike to connect them together with.

Colin McKenzie

Phil Cook <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:47:38 +0100, Robin Long wrote:
>
> >Have you got a more silly (or sillier) maintenance error? The best one wins
> >all the muck my mountain bike picked up on the Grizedale Mountain Bike
> >Challenge. Winner must collect.

> I once put the cranks on at 0 deg rather than 180 :-(

I did a similar thing years ago, and refitted the cranks at 90
degrees. I didn't actually twig what I'd done until I rode the bike
and wondered why I couldn't get in the R/H toeclip at the right point
of the L/H pedal stroke....

David E. Belcher

.....OP's example - zip-tied computer to spokes.....

That's novice stuff. It takes a real expert to fit the forks in upside down.

I stuffed the forks into the headset, adjusted the bearings, and only then
noticed that I had carfully placed the bike upside down; resting on the
saddle to make the job easier. Whoops...

I rather doubt if anyone can beat that.....

Hywel