Major error in judgement!

BHOFM

Aug 8, 2010
Went by the bike shop today to pick up a seat bracket and rode a new
bike.

I knew better but did it anyway!

It is called a "tadpole" style bike, three wheels.

It looks fast sitting in the shop and when you get on it, it is a rocket.

Thirty mph is a breeze and it doesn't seem to be much of a stain to
keep up the pace a while, I was in traffic so it was hard to tell.

The price is not too bad, $1200.

I was very impressed with the bike.

http://www.catrike.com/catrike_villager.html

That looks pretty good! How much faster do you reckon an average rider would be if they rode a recumbent instead of a road bike?

I have to admit that this is one of the better looking recumbents out there. I wouldnt mind taking one out for a ride myself. What do you steer with your left hand and brake/shift with your right?

It has a steering handle on both sides and a brake lever on each side, takes a
bit of getting used to, but it comes quickly when you are out there with the cars.
The one I rode had the mirror on the left and the computer on the right.
It is a nine speed, the higher models are twenty seven. This is sort of the base
model.

The spooky part is it is only 27" high to the back of the seat.

Originally Posted by steve .

That looks pretty good! How much faster do you reckon an average rider would be if they rode a recumbent instead of a road bike?
I rode a social club ride a few weeks ago where one rider was on a recumbent (2-wheel) - 40 or 50 mile ride (can't recall exactly). We were "playing" on occasion, not serious competition. I out pulled him climbing and on flats, but he consistently pulled ahead descending. He maxed out close to 48mph and I couldn't push above 46 (not tucked as aero as possible and 50/11 gear). I was pretty much out of gears without hyper spinning and he was coasting or easy on the pedals too. On other rides he has ridden a disc rear wheel, but I don't recall him having it that day. I was riding Zipp 404's, which do make a difference over my M Ksyriums. Similar body build.

Not scientific by any means, but it seemed like he definitely had the aero advantage.

Originally Posted by BHOFM .

It has a steering handle on both sides and a brake lever on each side, takes a
bit of getting used to, but it comes quickly when you are out there with the cars.
The one I rode had the mirror on the left and the computer on the right.
It is a nine speed, the higher models are twenty seven. This is sort of the base
model.

The spooky part is it is only 27" high to the back of the seat.

Reply option not functioning properly for me...

Anyway - careful Brad, you may end up with a bike you don't need to put any elbow grese into. ... somehow I think you;d find a reason to "tinker" /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Recumbents seem awkward from a mental perspective - hands below hips seems like it would add a challenge to balance skills. Fun to experiment ... maybe something we should all try? Guess you have to take the lane on a 3-wheel, no?

Have fun!

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, Brad![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]That thing is really cute! But I think it would scare me to death to be that low, where I had to look UP to see a car beside me or a dog running at me! But I'll bet it's fun, just the same. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Keep us posted. Knowing you, you'll find one at Walmart for $59.95, fix it up, and ride it for marathons, lol. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/duck.gif[/COLOR]

Originally Posted by steve .

Fast on the straights maybe, but it can't be good in the corners. How much speed do you have to scrub before entering a turn? . . . not a facetious question, I have never ridden a recumbent, let alone a trike, and am really curious about how these things corner given that leaning into a turn doesn't really seem to be an option.

I've never a ridden a recumbent either, but I'd like to give that one a try. Looks like it would be fun....

That thing looks like a tank to me. I don't see any point to it unless the rider has a disability that makes it difficult to put a leg down when stopped.

Btw - a faired recumbent holds the world speed record for a bicycle - almost 83 mph I believe.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Brad,[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Regarding Calico's comment on cornering... (and how's that for an alliterative opening, lol?):[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Maybe you could rear back on the single wheel and pivot like a top in that thing like the guys in wheelchairs do. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Let us know when it's in your garage so we can borrow it for a ride.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra[/COLOR]

Slim may be on the right track in her own little girlie way!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif /img/vbsmilies/smilies/duck.gif

With individual brakes it may be a matter of using the inside
brake and corning may be better than a regular bike? I didn't get that
carried away with someone else's bike. How ever I did not notice in
my short, less than two miles, ride any bad habits in the corning. I did
find it took some attention to get the brakes even. Mostly when first
braking,

At 31lbs, the bike seems much lighter and has great coasting, I guess
due to the airflow.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Brad,[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]You don't have to duck after saying that I might be on the right track in my own little girlie way. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I was so astonished that any man would admit any woman was on the right track, I didn't mind it at all, LOL. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif[/COLOR]

When talking to you, it has just become a reflex action!

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/duck.gif

No way "thirty mph was a breeze." Especially the Villager model which has a more-upright seat and a high gear of 67 inches (9-spd model.) The speedo must have been calibrated for a 700C wheel. There are quite a few tads in my club, and Catrike is the most heavily-represented brand. To a man, every one of them are several mph slower on the trike than on their 2-wheelers. All agree, though, that trikes are huge fun. They corner like they're on rails; you just have to lean into the turn.

Is it used? Villagers normally start at $1650.

Getting to thirty was not a problem, I only did it for a few minutes.
The speedo seemed about right with the traffic.

The Bike shop has three of each model. Special buy he said. It was
12 something, closer to 13 maybe. The high end one was 19 I think.

I think it seems fast because you are so close to the ground. And the
damn cars are so high.

I would like to play with one on the ice??