Major Taylor A Forgotten Hero (World Champion Cyclist)

Dancier

New Member
Jul 26, 2005

I found this site while trawling through the web, it provides good reading for all but Trackies would probably get more out of it.

Extract from - Cyclists Armstrong, Taylor have much in common

Separated by exactly a century, they are two of the supreme bike riders in U.S. history. In 1902, Major Taylor was at the pinnacle of his career, recognized on three continents as the finest living cyclist. In 2002, Lance Armstrong is widely regarded as No. 1 in the world. They both surmounted huge obstacles on the way to their lofty achievements.

http://www.majortaylorassociation.org/who.htm

cfsmtb wrote:
> Dancier Wrote:
>

>>]I found this site while trawling through the web, it provides good
>>reading for all but Trackies would probably get more out of it.
>>

> Not forgotten by some of us, Major Taylor is mentioned in this a.b
> thread (eventually)
> http://tinyurl.com/a7bpu
>
> http://cfsmtb.blogspot.com/2004/10/on-this-day-10-october-2004.html

And of course a cycling heroine Beryl Burton
" In 1967 she famously set a new 12 hour time trial record of 277.25
miles, a time that beat the existing men's record by 5.75 miles and saw
Beryl catching the men’s record holder (Mike McNamara) before the
finish, handing him a liquorice allsort as she passed!"
I believe she was the only woman in any sport to hold a womans record
that significantly beat the male record. She died on her bike at 59 and
was still winning races a couple of weeks prior.

The list of records she held is amazing. The support she got at home (in
England ) was pathetic.

One of my hero's anyway

Dave