Make It Right

oportosanto

Oct 28, 2015
I have two kids and what's been happening is that the younger one gets the bike from the older and the older gets a new bike. This doesn't look fair does it, but I am not buying a new bike for the younger because the other is still good! How can I make it up for the smaller guy? :)

Reactions: Damien Lee
Hopefully, the younger of the two will appreciate that he is getting his older sibling's bike. Sometimes, younger brothers and sisters can be envious of the things their older siblings own. Hand-me-downs are normal in most families and as a parent you have to stick to a budget. It's not as if the younger brother is not benefiting from this. Perhaps, it doesn't look 100% fair on the surface but then most things in life are not fair. But I'm sure that he will be happy with the bike after a while.

What age?

My youngest is usually just happy to get his big brother's bike because big brother is cool. You can always jazz up the bike with accessories, my guy loves getting a new bell or lights for his ride.

Or buy a used bike for the older child - then life is fair.

I am the youngest in the family of 12 children. Got it? That situation of passing on older items to the younger ones is a practice, maybe in all families. I don't see anything wrong is the younger kid gets a hand-me-down bike as long as it is in good working condition. For me, that is a good practice to teach the children the trait of sharing. Even in rich families here with several children, they also do that hand-me-down style because it is a waste to throw or just store a bike just like that.

Hello. Well, a nice thing to do, in my opinion, would be a little investment in the old bike. Something like pimp my bike thing. Nothing excessive , maybe a paint change in some colors he prefers or with some symbols that he likes. Depending on his age and things he like, you could just get him some cool gadget for a bike, if trere are some on the market. If you put some effort and imagination and make it a surprise he will appreciate it, be sure of that. I really can not think of something cool for kids nowdays, except the paint with some symbols of his favourite sport club ( football, baseball,etc.) It may be a challange for you but if you get it right, a smile on your boy's face will be worth it. And of course make sure that the bike is in a top shape, tyres and everything.

Reactions: sunshiney
I like the idea of fixing the bike up with some fun new accessories. Things like decals, bells, and lights would be some easy ways to add a little excitement to the whole hand-me-down thing (although speaking as a younger sibling, I was always super excited just to be big enough to ride my brother's old bike).

Another option might be taking him shopping for a fun new helmet :)

I come from a family where every house has at least three children so hand me downs are nothing new to me, and I've learned not to complain about those. It's just how life is. However, if it's only two kids you have and the younger one doesn't like it, you can try selling the old bike and then investing a smaller sum into buying a new one for him, but be careful because this can set a precedent and you can end up having to always buy him new stuff when his older sibling is getting something new.

My friend has two other male siblings. He is not much of a fan when it comes to cycling. For the very long period of time they had only one bike at home. The youngest one started to express his interest to riding a bike at the age of 7, when the middle brother was 15. So, during the summer vacation he managed to earn enough money and bought himself a new bike. And the old one, which is by the way is still pretty decent, now belongs to the youngest.

The attitude is a key factor, I'd say.

I would get the younger child a brand new bike of his or her own choice. He too deserves his own choices, and should not be required to accept hand-me-downs. Part of growing up is having something of your very own that is new and is just for you and no one else. I'm not talking about just bikes, either. There are other things too where "brand new" is your guideline in total fairness.

Bikes are highly visible things, especially among children. With a hand-me-down, the younger child will end up having a heavily used bike where other children his age have brand new bikes, which are probably safer to use, too, and he and his friends will be very conscious of that.

Being small and younger doesn't mean his safety is smaller and less important. You want your child to have the safest new bike and the safest new equipment possible, as well.

I think it is fairest of all to give the younger child a new bicycle, shiny and sparkling, and new safety equipment, also shiny and sparkling.

Bob

Reactions: Susimi
I have to say that I quite like the system you run, but I can also imagine the younger kiddie might feel a little left out at being given a second-hand bike while the older one gets a brnad new one.

I don't have kids but I think if I did I would probably give the younger one the second-hand bike as a first starter or learner bike and then when they get just a little bit older I wuld purchase them a new one. As for the older bike, seeing as it is still in good condition I wowuld see if a relative wanted it and failing that I would try and sell it on.

The old potential "hand me down" bike can be donated to any number of groups for giving to a child who is genuinely poor and without. Or donate it to a group like Washington Area Bicyclist Association, which has bicycling programs for kids, including giveaway bicycles.

Thanks a ton

Bob