Make it stop!

Sorni

Guest
OK, a few weeks ago my 8-spd XT shifter broke on my hardtail (which I'm TRYING to ride again).

So a nameless friend who shall remain Michael Paul sent me some links to shifters on E-bay. I
registered in order to bid on one, but then got mine repaired under warranty. (Didn't win
auction, anyway.)

But now I get a ZILLION E-bay pop-ups a day! (I use Popup Killer, and it DOES ****! em, but doesn't
stop them from starting.)

I looked on the site to try to UN-register, but couldn't find a way to even contact anyone.

Any of you have experience with this?!?

Bill "in E-bay Pop-up Hell" S.

Sorni wrote:

> But now I get a ZILLION E-bay pop-ups a day! (I use Popup Killer, and it DOES ****! em, but
> doesn't stop them from starting.)
>
> I looked on the site to try to UN-register, but couldn't find a way to even contact anyone.
>
> Any of you have experience with this?!?

Hmm, I've never registered with E-Bay, but sounds like you perhaps have adware on your pc (do you
have to install anything to register?). Anyway, running AdAware won't hurt: www.lavasoftusa.com

Sorni wrote:
> OK, a few weeks ago my 8-spd XT shifter broke on my hardtail (which I'm TRYING to ride again).
>
> So a nameless friend who shall remain Michael Paul sent me some links to shifters on E-bay. I
> registered in order to bid on one, but then got mine repaired under warranty. (Didn't win auction,
> anyway.)
>
> But now I get a ZILLION E-bay pop-ups a day! (I use Popup Killer, and it DOES ****! em, but
> doesn't stop them from starting.)
>
> I looked on the site to try to UN-register, but couldn't find a way to even contact anyone.
>
> Any of you have experience with this?!?

No, and I use E-bay alot. But my browser kills ALL pop-ups without a need for something like
popup killer.

Greg

Sorni wrote:

> But now I get a ZILLION E-bay pop-ups a day! (I use Popup Killer, and it DOES ****! em, but
> doesn't stop them from starting.)
>
> I looked on the site to try to UN-register, but couldn't find a way to even contact anyone.

It reads to me as if you picked up some spyware from an unscrupulous shareware product (you wouldn't
have Kazaa loaded, would you? It's loaded with spyware) some time over the last month or two, then
triggered it when you visited eBay.

Download, install, and run Ad-Aware. No PC should be without this utility:

http://download.com.com/3000-2094-10121984.html?tag=lst-0-1

--
Peter

news:B%[email protected]...
> But now I get a ZILLION E-bay pop-ups a day! (I use Popup Killer, and it DOES ****! em, but
> doesn't stop them from starting.)

Using IE? Try Mozilla. It has a setting to disable unrequested windows. An industry seems to have
sprung up around patching that deficiency in IE.

David

"pj" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Sorni wrote:
>
> > But now I get a ZILLION E-bay pop-ups a day! (I use Popup Killer, and
it
> > DOES ****! em, but doesn't stop them from starting.)
> >
> > I looked on the site to try to UN-register, but couldn't find a way to
even
> > contact anyone.
>
> It reads to me as if you picked up some spyware from an unscrupulous shareware product (you
> wouldn't have Kazaa loaded, would you? It's loaded with spyware) some time over the last month or
> two, then triggered it when you visited eBay.
>
> Download, install, and run Ad-Aware. No PC should be without this utility:
>
> http://download.com.com/3000-2094-10121984.html?tag=lst-0-1
>

> --
> Peter

And if it was Kazaa, get rid of it, clean your system with Ad-Aware, and get KazaaLite instead
(www.kazaalite.com).

Matt

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "pj" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Sorni wrote:
> >
> > > But now I get a ZILLION E-bay pop-ups a day! (I use Popup Killer, and
> it
> > > DOES ****! em, but doesn't stop them from starting.)
> > >
> > > I looked on the site to try to UN-register, but couldn't find a way to
> even
> > > contact anyone.
> >
> > It reads to me as if you picked up some spyware from an unscrupulous shareware product (you
> > wouldn't have Kazaa loaded, would you? It's loaded with spyware) some time over the last month
> > or two, then triggered it when you visited eBay.
> >
> > Download, install, and run Ad-Aware. No PC should be without this utility:
> >
> > http://download.com.com/3000-2094-10121984.html?tag=lst-0-1
> >

> > --
> > Peter
> >

> And if it was Kazaa, get rid of it, clean your system with Ad-Aware, and
get
> KazaaLite instead (www.kazaalite.com).

Hmmm. Ran Ad-Aware, cleaned system (like, 140 items?), searched for Kazaa but didn't find.

I'll see how things go now...

Bill "thanks for the help, all" S.

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> And if it was Kazaa, get rid of it, clean your system with Ad-Aware, and
get
> KazaaLite instead (www.kazaalite.com).
>
> Matt

Hey Matt,

On today's ride MP & I ran into a guy from GJ (yellow Haro hardtail) who said he owns a bike shop.

I asked him if he knew you and Mary, but he didn't recognize your names/descriptions. Said he's
involved with CO Points something-or-other Race Series.

Anyway, in case your ears were burning (faintly), that's why :)

Bill "why he'd be riding Mission Trails is a mystery" S.

Sorni wrote:
> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

>>> It reads to me as if you picked up some spyware from an unscrupulous shareware product (you
>>> wouldn't have Kazaa loaded, would you? It's loaded with spyware) some time over the last month
>>> or two, then triggered it when you visited eBay.
>>>
>>> Download, install, and run Ad-Aware. No PC should be without this utility:
>>>
>>> http://download.com.com/3000-2094-10121984.html?tag=lst-0-1
>>>

>>> --
>>> Peter
>>>

>> And if it was Kazaa, get rid of it, clean your system with Ad-Aware, and get KazaaLite instead
>> (www.kazaalite.com).
>
> Hmmm. Ran Ad-Aware, cleaned system (like, 140 items?), searched for Kazaa but didn't find.
>
> I'll see how things go now...

140???!!!! I've never pulled up more than 29....

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 21:19:29 GMT, "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>OK, a few weeks ago my 8-spd XT shifter broke on my hardtail (which I'm TRYING to ride again).

>But now I get a ZILLION E-bay pop-ups a day! (I use Popup Killer, and it DOES ****! em, but doesn't
>stop them from starting.)

uh...if you had taken your head out of your @ss and converted that hardtaill to an SS, you wouldn't
have needed any shifters in the first place, you wouldn't have gone on e-bay, you wouldn't have a
ZILLION pop-ups. Live and learn I say. ;-)

Bill(I know your Livin' now start learnin')Wheeler.

Could resist a fine opp. to plug the SS life.

:-]

"penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Sorni wrote:

> >> And if it was Kazaa, get rid of it, clean your system with Ad-Aware, and get KazaaLite instead
> >> (www.kazaalite.com).
> >
> > Hmmm. Ran Ad-Aware, cleaned system (like, 140 items?), searched for Kazaa but didn't find.
> >
> > I'll see how things go now...
>

> 140???!!!! I've never pulled up more than 29....

I think it's a guy thing.

Bill "Blame Greg The Moderator (he posted a link recently)" S.

> > > Kazaa but didn't find.
> > >
> > > I'll see how things go now...
> >

> > 140???!!!! I've never pulled up more than 29....
>
> I think it's a guy thing.

www.mozilla.org.

In addition to allowing you to turn off pop-ups (as opposed to killing them after they launch), you
can also block cookies on a site-specific basis.

David wrote:

> In addition to allowing you to turn off pop-ups (as opposed to killing them after they launch),
> you can also block cookies on a site-specific basis.

That is analogous to oiling a dirty chain. Sure it will momentarily suppress the symptoms, but it
does nothing for the real problem.

The real problem is scumware that installs itself discreetly on your PC, then serves up advertising
based on your web surfing activities.

--
Peter

> Could resist a fine opp. to plug the SS life.

If you "could resist" then why didn't you, and spare us yet another SS ad ;)

SS - riding for those to dumb to work out how gears work ;)

Trentus

> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > And if it was Kazaa, get rid of it, clean your system with Ad-Aware, and
> get
> > KazaaLite instead (www.kazaalite.com).
> >
> > Matt
>
> Hey Matt,
>
> On today's ride MP & I ran into a guy from GJ (yellow Haro hardtail) who said he owns a bike shop.
>
> I asked him if he knew you and Mary, but he didn't recognize your names/descriptions. Said he's
> involved with CO Points something-or-other Race Series.
>
> Anyway, in case your ears were burning (faintly), that's why :)
>
> Bill "why he'd be riding Mission Trails is a mystery" S.

Erm, uhm...if you lived in GJ, that might have made some sense!

Bill "Gunnison, Grand Junction...they both start with 'G'" S.

David wrote:

> www.mozilla.org.

Enough already. Do you work on the Mozilla project, or something?

> In addition to allowing you to turn off pop-ups (as opposed to killing them after they launch),
> you can also block cookies on a site-specific basis.

It's possible to do that in IE too. My own personal experiences are that Mozilla for Windows is
slow, clunky and sucks enormous amounts of memory (the Linux version isn't much better). However, as
a newsreader, it's not bad.

bomba wrote:

> My own personal experiences are that Mozilla for Windows is slow, clunky and sucks enormous
> amounts of memory (the Linux version isn't much better).

So use something like galeon. Mozilla engine, but lightweight.

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

Matthew Paterson wrote:

>>My own personal experiences are that Mozilla for Windows is slow, clunky and sucks enormous
>>amounts of memory (the Linux version isn't much better).
>

> So use something like galeon. Mozilla engine, but lightweight.

Or I could just carry on using Opera, which is better and doesn't require the installation of
Mozilla and Gnome.

> Matthew Paterson wrote:
>
> >>My own personal experiences are that Mozilla for Windows is slow, clunky and sucks enormous
> >>amounts of memory (the Linux version isn't much better).
> >

> > So use something like galeon. Mozilla engine, but lightweight.
>
> Or I could just carry on using Opera, which is better and doesn't require the installation of
> Mozilla and Gnome.

Yeah, Opera is the ****. It's what Mozilla is trying to be.

In article <B%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> OK, a few weeks ago my 8-spd XT shifter broke on my hardtail (which I'm TRYING to ride again).
>
> So a nameless friend who shall remain Michael Paul sent me some links to shifters on E-bay. I
> registered in order to bid on one, but then got mine repaired under warranty. (Didn't win auction,
> anyway.)
>
> But now I get a ZILLION E-bay pop-ups a day! (I use Popup Killer, and it DOES ****! em, but
> doesn't stop them from starting.)
>
> I looked on the site to try to UN-register, but couldn't find a way to even contact anyone.
>
> Any of you have experience with this?!?
>
> Bill "in E-bay Pop-up Hell" S.

The most efective way i have found is to disable client-side scripting (javascript and VBscript). it
will however make several pages either not work, or not work very well (mine for instance uses
javascript, but won't be killed by it).

99.9% of all popups come from the javascript window.open() function.

~Travis
--
Now i can receive email on my Palm i705. palm at travisfarmer dot cjb dot net checked about as often
as the moon is full