make your own chamois cream

ilias

Feb 3, 2009
Skip to the bottom if you don't want the story!
I live opposite a Chemist who likes his occasional ride with his friends.He saw me a few times going out of the house in my cycling batman-wear and asked me if I or anyone I know can adjust his gears. Of-course I offered myself to adjust them and when he asked me if I wanted any money I told him about my bass problems!(as you do with a stranger when the opportunity arises).
My favorite cream is Assos and I have tried most of the other brands but I keep on returning to the same cream over and over again. I have tried all the incarnations of the staff and i think although it's been a long time since that I prefer the older blueish receipe. Maybe I'm wrong, as I said its been long.
Only problem is, that staff really costs a lot of money for someone like me who trains every day and sometimes even twice.
He offered to take a look in case he managed to make something that does the same and its not Vaseline. (Vaseline makes me feel like Ive soiled myself)
So he looked at it and he said : you adjust my bike every six months and I will be making it for you for free!
He made a couple of different mixes to try out, which i tried on long distances and also on roller training reaching up to 160 rpm two or three times per session, the classic spin type drills that you start with 100-110rpm for ten minutes, go down to 100 for 30 secs and then every 30secs you raise it by 5 rpm until you rich around 95% of your heart rate.
The recipe that I decided at the end will still be between your legs for almost two hours but will eventually start to absorb into your skin. You can add a bit more glycerin if you want it to stay for more or even add a bit of Vaseline for all day rides. If you want you can pimp it up by even adding a few drops of your favorite antibacterial oil. (and let me know how this works. My Chemist friend said something about eucalyptus oil.) You can even add a bit of mint for that traditional assos chill!
And here it is:

3% Propilenoglicol
3% Glycerin
3% Paraffin oil
100gr Cold Cream

It is very simple, very effective and most definitely does the job. Go ahead and make enough for a year for close to nothing.
I'm so pleased with the cream that I thought that all cyclists should now about. Please let me know if you ever use it and if you like it.
Many, many thanks to Dimitris the friendly Chemist!
I.S.

He put the 3%'s in a test tube and then slowly added them to the Cold cream while mixing it by hand. Probably you would need a blender for larger quantities but for that much he did it by hand.