make your own recovery drink?

peite

Jan 16, 2006
Hey all,
New to the forum, seems you all have alot of experience and good advice, so here is my question. I've been reading alot about recovery drinks, specifically drinking/eating in a 3:1 carb to protein ratio immediatly afer excersise, and it seems that there is alot of science to suport this. I've heard of people making there own sports drinks using protein (from protein powder or milk), powdered gatorade (or other carb drink) etc. Does anyone have a formula they like or any suggestions? My main goal here is to save money and use the most common ingredianets possibile, but it has to be drinkable. Also I don't have a blender so that makes things more difficule. Am I asking too much?
-peite

The mix that I use and personally like at present time is:

Cytomax 15 grams
Glutamine 1 grams
Whey Protein 10 grams
Maltodextrin 15 grams

Mixed into a 24 ounce bottle and I take two of these bottles.

2 tablespoons of maltodextrin (for example Carbo-Gain) and 1/3 a tablespoon of soy protein in 24 oz of water serves me to both prevent bonking during the ride and as a recovery drink afterwards. I flavor with a dash of cranberry juice, but even without added flavor, it doesn't taste half bad. And at less than 10 cents per serving. Why be ripped off by paying more than 10 times this for a package and extra ingredients that you don't need?

I buy at www. bodybuilding.com