Makers of Sodas Try a New Pitch: They’re Healthy

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by dougadam, Mar 28, 2007.

1. dougadam

dougadam Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/07/business/07soda.html?ex=1175227200&en=8460fa541e7d1e6a&ei=5070

Tags:

2. beauspete

beauspete New Member

what they dont say are how the sweeterners they use in the "diet" and "healthier" sodas are actually poision made from the bark of the green tree and actually contains arsenic

Novelangel likes this.
  3. Blademun

Blademun New Member

They also don't mention the extremely high acid content in soda. It can ruin your teeth easily, especially if you have any sort of genetic disposistion for weak teeth. Soda ruined my teeth for sure.

I drink hawaian punch now. Tastes great, all the time, has little acid, no carbonation and no caffiene. (Caffiene gives me heart palpitations sometimes. :( )

4. sogood

sogood New Member

Try plain water. :p

5. Blademun

Blademun New Member

I have. It sucks. Thank you for the advice. Good day.

6. JTE83

JTE83 Member

I only drink diet sodas or low calorie Hawaiian Punch. My DAD, Brother, and relative who drank lots of regular sodas all got kidney stones and painful hospital procedures. I hope diet sodas don't give kidney stone because they don't have high fructose corn syrup, because I drink a lot of it!

Yeah, I find Pepsi and Coke boring. Would rather have diet A & W or Sunkist and bring a soda can with me to a restaurant.

7. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

When I am thirsty I drink water (maybe we are spoiled with so many different mineral waters here). And then I drink a nice glass of wine. Or three. No need for sodas of any type here. :)

8. JSWin

JSWin Member

Carbonation is not good for you any way you slice it. It blocks certain vitamins from being absorbed and causes malnutrition. Good luck with that. There is not much any of them can do to make soda healthy.

9. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Active Member

There will always be a market for carbonated drinks, and they don't need to be regarded as healthy. The 'healthy' tag doesn't boost sales, take it from someone that has worked in the food industry. The manufacturers should just focus on making a tasty and refreshing soda, and not try to insult the intelligence of consumers.

10. ZXD22

ZXD22 Member

I doubt they would even be healthy. I would never drink sodas and the closest thing I would drink to would most likely be seltzer.

11. Keyan

Keyan Member

A soda is still a soda. I am not sure how can someone change that fact including the bad effects of it on the body. When I was younger I loved sodas of all kinds and did not think for a second that it was bad for me. Now that I am slowly having some issues with my health I am beginning to recollect and sort what could have I done differently

12. sharkantropo

sharkantropo Member

Marketing strategy gimmicks in worrying times for sugar bomb drink Industry. They can load up with all the "healthy" stuff they want, the Huge refined sugar content prevents them to be a suggested diet alternative.
    I would buy more drinks like these if they were more frank about it. Only recreational drinks, like alcohol and moonshine.

13. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

Do you realize that you just revived a click-bait spam topic from 2007 that hadn't had any activity since November of 2015? Some things are better off left dead. Necroposting is a lousy way to interact on forums.

To be fair, the comment in 2015 was made by notorious necroposter @JSWin, after the topic had in fact been quiet since 2007. Please don't encourage him.

14. Shark425

Shark425 Member

I drink quinine often. I started drinking it during, and after, I had malaria. Other than that I have not been much of a soda drinker. A doctor told me drinking lots of coke, pepsi, dr. pepper , etc. can send your triglycerides off the scale...

15. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

I shouldn't respond to this because it is a dead spam topic that was revived intially by @JSWin. I'm guessing he didn't have anything useful to contribute and was trying to fill some sort of quota or up his post count.

But anyway, yes consuming large amounts of sugar can affect your triglyceride levels, but consuming fats is the biggest culprit. If you have enough sugar in your diet to raise your triglycerides you have many many more problems than just soda. A high triglyceride level in and of itself isn't much of anything, it is however and indicator that somebody takes really bad care of themselves and probably has other more immediate concerns that need attention as a result.

Bottom line, sugared sodas are basically liquid candy. If consumed at all, it should be sparingly and treated like any other desert or sweet item. They should never be used for hydration or drank on a regular basis.

16. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

Precisely why I never go near diet sodas. (Or pop, as we call it here) I wasn't aware of the arsenic content but I did know that aspartame is extremely unhealthy and most of them contain copious amounts of the stuff. Now I feel like I should do even more research on pop and diet pop, just to see what is really in those drinks.