Makes sense to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sdc

Hey yo,

So I have a crappy judy fork and V-brakes. I thought I would upgrade to a bomber and put disk brakes
on the front and keep my V-brakes at the back. After checking prices, it makes much more sense to
just buy a whole new bike with the amazing deals this time of year.

So now I would would want to remove the new rear disk brakes/wheel and put in my existing chris
king/618 v-brake wheel at the back. People are looking at me funny, but I'm so in love with my rear
wheel. It makes sense to me...

SDC

"SDC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hey yo,
>
> So I have a crappy judy fork and V-brakes. I thought I would upgrade to a bomber and put disk
> brakes on the front and keep my V-brakes at the back. After checking prices, it makes much more
> sense to just buy a whole new
bike
> with the amazing deals this time of year.

What kind of deals have you found? Anything you want to let us in on?

I don't know what kind of wheels you want to build (for what purpose); but front disc wheels, in
general, are pretty cheap and plentiful. I've seen lots of "orphaned" front disc wheels on Ebay (and
elsewhere) at fire-sale prices.

Aftermarket fork prices are damned high, though. Like you say, by the time you buy a wheel, fork and
front brake, you might as well buy a whole bike. (Not a bad idea: Then sell off the parts you don't
want on Ebay...)

> So now I would would want to remove the new rear disk brakes/wheel and put in my existing chris
> king/618 v-brake wheel at the back. People are
looking
> at me funny, but I'm so in love with my rear wheel. It makes sense to
me...

Sounds like a great plan to me. Chris King freehubs are the best on the market, AFAICT.

How about a Chris King disc wheelset? You know you want 'em.

-=B=-

"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:B7s9b.361511$Oz4.135031@rwcrnsc54...
> "SDC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hey yo,
> >
> > So I have a crappy judy fork and V-brakes. I thought I would upgrade to
a
> > bomber and put disk brakes on the front and keep my V-brakes at the
back.
> > After checking prices, it makes much more sense to just buy a whole new
> bike
> > with the amazing deals this time of year.
>
> What kind of deals have you found? Anything you want to let us in on?
>
> I don't know what kind of wheels you want to build (for what purpose); but front disc wheels, in
> general, are pretty cheap and plentiful. I've seen lots of "orphaned" front disc wheels on Ebay
> (and elsewhere) at fire-sale prices.
>
I've saved money on some nice 'new' parts on ebay.

03 XTR crankset, $335 Thomson seatpost in the queer 29.4 size I needed, $50 Fi'zi:k Nisene saddle
$39 Time pedals $53 XT cassette $36 (Supergo has them for $37) 03 RS SID Team for $385 (I've since
sold it for the same)

The remaining parts I'm after, I've seen going for decent prices. Anything King, you're not going to
get much of a deal.

> Aftermarket fork prices are damned high, though. Like you say, by the time you buy a wheel, fork
> and front brake, you might as well buy a whole bike. (Not a bad idea: Then sell off the parts you
> don't want on Ebay...)
>
Check Supergo. They're selling some nice forks at a decent price.

> > So now I would would want to remove the new rear disk brakes/wheel and
put
> > in my existing chris king/618 v-brake wheel at the back. People are
> looking
> > at me funny, but I'm so in love with my rear wheel. It makes sense to
> me...
>
> Sounds like a great plan to me. Chris King freehubs are the best on the market, AFAICT.
>
Chris King is the best.

> How about a Chris King disc wheelset? You know you want 'em.
>
Can't wait to try my X3.1/ISOs.

> > What kind of deals have you found? Anything you want to let us in on?
> >
> > I don't know what kind of wheels you want to build (for what purpose);
but
> > front disc wheels, in general, are pretty cheap and plentiful. I've seen lots of "orphaned"
> > front disc wheels on Ebay (and elsewhere) at
fire-sale
> > prices.
> >
> > Aftermarket fork prices are damned high, though. Like you say, by the
time
> > you buy a wheel, fork and front brake, you might as well buy a whole
bike.
> > (Not a bad idea: Then sell off the parts you don't want on Ebay...)

Bargain Barry strikes again?

-John Morgan

"John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<qNw9b.55011$cj1.37506@fed1read06>...
> > > What kind of deals have you found? Anything you want to let us in on?
> > >
> > > I don't know what kind of wheels you want to build (for what purpose);
> but
> > > front disc wheels, in general, are pretty cheap and plentiful. I've seen lots of "orphaned"
> > > front disc wheels on Ebay (and elsewhere) at
> fire-sale
> > > prices.
> > >
> > > Aftermarket fork prices are damned high, though. Like you say, by the
> time
> > > you buy a wheel, fork and front brake, you might as well buy a whole
> bike.
> > > (Not a bad idea: Then sell off the parts you don't want on Ebay...)
>
> Bargain Barry strikes again?

Wellll, sort of.

I got my half-disk wheelset from eBay and had them hand-tightened and stress-relieved, and they ran
very well. I got my Bomber on eBay for an insane-cheap price, mostly because it had a bunch of dirt
on it, and the paint was scratched. I took off the dirt and the paint, and the damn thing worked and
looked like a million bucks. I have no doubt I'll be able to sell it for more than I paid.

I got my Avid mech set-up from eBay for $110, front and rear, including shipping. It was missing the
front adapter, which I got from the LBS for $10.

Bargains can be had, if you know what you want, and are willing to do a little fix-up if necessary.
You just have to be smart about it.

While I don't subscribe to many of Barry's ideas, even a clock is right twice a day. ;)

Spider

"SDC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> So now I would would want to remove the new rear disk brakes/wheel and put in my existing chris
> king/618 v-brake wheel at the back.

That sounds like a decent move to me. First, most of your braking power is up front anyways. Second,
if a CK hub and a 618 are built up right, it's a great combo to hang onto.

JD

> Bargains can be had, if you know what you want, and are willing to do a little fix-up if
> necessary. You just have to be smart about it.
>
> While I don't subscribe to many of Barry's ideas, even a clock is right twice a day. ;)
>
> Spider

Not if its five minutes slow all the time. Maybe you mean a broken clock? :)

Shawn

"Spider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<qNw9b.55011$cj1.37506@fed1read06>...
> > > > What kind of deals have you found? Anything you want to let us in
on?
> > > >
> > > > I don't know what kind of wheels you want to build (for what
purpose);
> > but
> > > > front disc wheels, in general, are pretty cheap and plentiful. I've
seen
> > > > lots of "orphaned" front disc wheels on Ebay (and elsewhere) at
> > fire-sale
> > > > prices.
> > > >
> > > > Aftermarket fork prices are damned high, though. Like you say, by
the
> > time
> > > > you buy a wheel, fork and front brake, you might as well buy a whole
> > bike.
> > > > (Not a bad idea: Then sell off the parts you don't want on Ebay...)

> Wellll, sort of.
>
> I got my half-disk wheelset from eBay and had them hand-tightened and stress-relieved, and they
> ran very well. I got my Bomber on eBay for an insane-cheap price, mostly because it had a bunch
> of dirt on it, and the paint was scratched. I took off the dirt and the paint, and the damn
> thing worked and looked like a million bucks. I have no doubt I'll be able to sell it for more
> than I paid.

Nice strategy. I've done this kind of thing several times with various frames (Fisher, Cannondale,
Specialized) and various components. Dirt, grease and scratches really drop the Ebay prices.

Once, I bought a mostly-complete Cannondale from a scrapyard for $10. Took it home, stripped the
badly scratched-up paint and polished the frame. I built it up with some stuff from my parts box,
and sold it on Ebay for $185.

> I got my Avid mech set-up from eBay for $110, front and rear, including shipping. It was missing
> the front adapter, which I got from the LBS for $10.

The seller probably had a Manitou fork, and tossed the adapter in the trash. "Parts missing" always
drops the price on Ebay.

> Bargains can be had, if you know what you want, and are willing to do a little fix-up if
> necessary. You just have to be smart about it.

You got it. That's exactly my strategy in a nutshell, and I've scored dozens of great deals (not
just on Ebay, of course).

> While I don't subscribe to many of Barry's ideas...

Actually, you do. You're employing some of my best strategies for getting great deals. It's based
upon knowledge, and vigilance, as much as anything. It works if you know what you're doing. If you
don't, well, caveat emptor and all that.

For those among us who don't seem to appreciate bargain hunting, check this out: Most of my upgrades
cost me nothing, because I buy stuff below market value, and sell them for more than it costs to
upgrade. I've done it for many years, constantly moving up to better and better bikes without any
net cost to me. Certain items hold their value very well: XTR, RaceFace, Chris King and other trendy
brands that newbies instantly recognize and bid on. For me, my bikes are actually a wise investment.
They quite often *appreciate* in value.

-=B=-

Shawn Curry <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Bargains can be had, if you know what you want, and are willing to do a little fix-up if
> > necessary. You just have to be smart about it.
> >
> > While I don't subscribe to many of Barry's ideas, even a clock is right twice a day. ;)
> >
> > Spider
>
> Not if its five minutes slow all the time. Maybe you mean a broken clock? :)

*blush*

Yup.

Spider

"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<GMP9b.368213$cF.110248@rwcrnsc53>...
> "Spider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... in message
> news:<qNw9b.55011$cj1.37506@fed1read06>...

[snip]

> > While I don't subscribe to many of Barry's ideas...
>
> Actually, you do.

No, I really don't.

Your goofy ideas on disk vs. V-brakes are one.

Your characterization of XT hubs as "bombproof." (Should be "more than enough for most
casual riders.")

Third, your wacky take on a.m-b. and how it "oughta be."

In addition, your hypocritical stance on ad hominem commentary.

Finally (to keep the list short) your absolutely bizarre notion that if someone is in the
Bomberhood, that they somehow are slavish trend followers or tribal in nature.

Barry, I checked out a bunch of forks on a lot of bikes. Bombers are expensive and heavy, but they
are good gear. Better than a lot of their lower-priced competition. They have a following for a
reason, and it's a good one.

Your interaction in a.m-b. makes me shake my head, especially when you act as though you have some
moral superiority.

Sorry, guy, I just don't buy any of it.

> For those among us who don't seem to appreciate bargain hunting, check this out: Most of my
> upgrades cost me nothing, because I buy stuff below market value, and sell them for more than it
> costs to upgrade. I've done it for many years, constantly moving up to better and better bikes
> without any net cost to me. Certain items hold their value very well: XTR, RaceFace, Chris King
> and other trendy brands that newbies instantly recognize and bid on. For me, my bikes are actually
> a wise investment. They quite often *appreciate* in value.

This is yet another tale that I find implausible. It may be true, but I doubt it.

Spider

Status
Not open for further replies.