making a cassette stop spinning

10timesbetter

Oct 7, 2004
I normally would've put this in the fixed gear/SS section, but first off no one goes there but me, and i figure chances are someone here would know better since it's something that someone who works with cassettes would know,

Is there any way to jam up a cassette so it won't spin anymore? instead of getting a new rear wheel, I was wondering if i could just take off the rest of the sprockets on my cassette, just leaving the one with a bunch of spacers, and then stop the cassette from spinning. I know there's a peice you can buy to replace the cassette for about $70, i figure there's probably a better way to just brake it for real cheap, easiest would be brazing it to the hub, but i don't have equipment for that, I could try jb weld, but i don't know how long that'd last before it popped loose again

10timesbetter said:
I normally would've put this in the fixed gear/SS section, but first off no one goes there but me, and i figure chances are someone here would know better since it's something that someone who works with cassettes would know,

Is there any way to jam up a cassette so it won't spin anymore? instead of getting a new rear wheel, I was wondering if i could just take off the rest of the sprockets on my cassette, just leaving the one with a bunch of spacers, and then stop the cassette from spinning. I know there's a peice you can buy to replace the cassette for about $70, i figure there's probably a better way to just brake it for real cheap, easiest would be brazing it to the hub, but i don't have equipment for that, I could try jb weld, but i don't know how long that'd last before it popped loose again

There isn't a reliable way to make a freehub stay fixed. Since it's design is to rotate, even jamming the ratchet and pawls would self distruct under the forces of braking.
You can fill the cassette body with spacers so that you can use a single cog... and have a single speed, but it would freewheel.

there is a page that i was looking at that showed how to fix a freehub using a cut segment of a hex wrench to jam the pawls...the guy said that it worked pretty well and that it was reversible allowing him to use it for its intended purpose...there were step by step pics too...if i can find the page again i will link it here...

hmm....I can't imagine how a cut chunk of a wrench could make it stop, but if you can find it definately let me know, or even email me at [email protected] if you could, cause i don't check here all that often,

I ended up just buying a surly fixxer, which is pretty simple and works well, but knowing how to stop a cassette from spinning would just be easier, and real nice for the future

10timesbetter said:
Is there any way to jam up a cassette so it won't spin anymore?
(assuming it's a steel one) If you brought a decently cleaned body to someone with arc welding gear set up (even stick would do) it'd be a 30 seconds job to lock it up permanently. Can't be that hard to find someone willing to do that for you.
Another option that just might work is to degrease it thoroughly, mix a batch of 2-comp epoxy resin and to pour it into the mechanism. Doing it at an elevated temperature should make the epoxy very runny and enable it to penetrate quite well.
Can't vouch for this one though.

Anyhow, worst case is still that you only lose the body, which doesnt have to be too pricey.