Making a Fixed/Single speed bike

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by MikeyOz, Jun 8, 2006.

  1. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    Probably not going to get around to it straight away, however, my old Road bike, I tend to now ride around to get from place A to place B and obviously Ive noticed, I don't change gears, so what is the easiest way for someone like me to go about converting it to a "Fixed" or "Single" speed bike.

    Firstly,

    do I go fixed or single, fixed means no coasting correct ? you always have to peddle ?
    What will I need, to do it ?

    Can I use 1 onf the existing cogs from the rear cassette ? do I need a new hub ?

    Mikey

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
  3. Terryc

    Terryc Guest

    MikeyOz wrote:
    > Probably not going to get around to it straight away, however, my old
    > Road bike, I tend to now ride around to get from place A to place B and
    > obviously Ive noticed, I don't change gears, so what is the easiest way
    > for someone like me to go about converting it to a "Fixed" or "Single"
    > speed bike.

    For single speed.

    Set it in the gear you want and screw in the range adjusting screws on
    the two derailleurs to lock it into place. Remove gear cables and levers
    if you like. {:).

    For fixed, i'd probably go the whole hog oa new wheels and cog with
    front chain ring and chain. It is so fiddly to open the cluster and bog
    it up with metal putty.

  4. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Here's an interesting frame for an MTB single/fixed:
    http://tinyurl.com/ruc9g
    "Go singlespeed with the Zion 660EBB! The eccentric bottom bracket
    allows for perfect chain tension, disc caliper alignment, and chainline
    - with no special rear wheel needed! Any standard quick release wheel
    can be used."

    donga

  5. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 01:24:57 +1000, Terryc wrote:

    > Set it in the gear you want and screw in the range adjusting screws on
    > the two derailleurs to lock it into place. Remove gear cables and levers
    > if you like. {:).

    A better option is to find an old derailleur (MTBers often have a few
    broken ones....) and chop the cage so you're only running the top jockey
    wheel. Adjust using the limit screws so it's sitting in the right gear.

    Now pull the main pivot spring out, put a washer over the body, and you
    can screw it on to the hanger so that it'll stay where it's put. If you
    get the screw tension right you can "adjust" the chain tension using brute
    force, but it won't move under pedalling. This means you get less chain
    slap and you're less likely to drop the chain, particularly if you're
    running without a front derailleur (see David Millar's effort at Le Tour a
    few years back for why this can be bad).

    Pulling old clusters apart for spacers and to only run the appropriate
    gear is an advanced option.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    "Coming to work with a faraway look and a really heavy gym bag starts to

  6. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CS611B00-Gusset+Single+Speed+Conversion+Kit.aspx

    Does this seem like a good option, seems to make things a little easier, by the looks of it ?? And I have to admit, my bike fixing/tinkering skills are down there with the worst of them :)

  7. JayWoo

    JayWoo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    The problem I see with this is you cannot fine tune your chain line. If you have the hand full of cassette spacers you can add\subtract with small increments.

    Like this;
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/46326865/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/46326867/
    This was my 1st go at a SS conversion.

  8. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    Thanks for all the feedback guys... i'm starting to see the issues, I want to basically do away with the derailluers, shifters, all that stuff.

    I read those 2 articles FD, which "kind" of cleared things up a little, so its looks like I might go for a single speed, not sure If I am to keen to go for the fixed just yet, I can see myself almost killing myself initially :)

    so basically, I remove the small ring at the front, either pull apart my rear cassette and use the sprocket I want to use, buy spacers or obtain them to give myself a straight chainline and get one of the funky chain tensioner that Jaywoo uses to tension the chain. And I should be set to go yeah ?

    And then new handle bars and possibly an add on break to save myself in time of emergency.

    Does this sound ok....? Or should I really consider a Fixed ?

  9. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-06-10, MikeyOz (aka Bruce)
    > Thanks for all the feedback guys... i'm starting to see the issues, I
    > want to basically do away with the derailluers, shifters, all that
    > stuff.
    >
    > I read those 2 articles FD, which "kind" of cleared things up a little,
    > so its looks like I might go for a single speed, not sure If I am to
    > keen to go for the fixed just yet, I can see myself almost killing
    > myself initially :)

    Ah, it's not that hard. I borrowed someone's fixie (thanks Resound!),
    and went straight from having never ridden a big-boy's single speed
    (actually, the single speed/accidental fixie I rode when I was a kid
    was actually a girl's bike anyway) to riding a fixie for a week. And
    in that time, I didn't crash once -- if I can do it, then anyone can!

    > Does this sound ok....? Or should I really consider a Fixed ?

    Yes.

    --
    TimC
    Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall

  10. Rory Williams

    Rory Williams New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2003
    A brake is essential on a SS (Front+ rear) - you don't have the option of any "backpedal' retarding force on a SS.

    If you can find the hub a SS/fixed convertable with a flip-flop hub is a good plan. - look it up on Sheldon's site. best of both worlds, but it still needs brakes

    RoryW

  11. Gags

    Gags Guest

    JayWoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > MikeyOz Wrote:

    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CS611B00-Gusset+Single+Speed+Conversion+Kit.aspx

    > > Does this seem like a good option, seems to make things a little
    > > easier, by the looks of it ?? And I have to admit, my bike
    > > fixing/tinkering skills are down there with the worst of them :)The

    problem I see with this is you cannot fine tune your chain line. If
    > you have the hand full of cassette spacers you can add\subtract with
    > small increments.
    >
    > Like this;
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/46326865/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/46326867/
    > This was my 1st go at a SS conversion.
    >
    > --
    > JayWoo

    JayWoo......where did you get the handlebars from and how much were they??
    I have been looking for some cowhorns for a while now that don't have too
    much in the way of drop and aren't too long but with little success so
    far.....also looking for a set of TT style brakes to go with them.

    Gags

  12. JayWoo

    JayWoo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    Hmmm, now you are testing my feeble little mind....

    I Think they are these...

  13. JayWoo

    JayWoo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    Forgot to say how much I love 'the drop' on these too. Real comfy when sitting up & crusin' along.

  14. HughMann

    HughMann New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004
    I took an easy way out. Track hub with a Suntour 17T BMX freewheel. Sealed BB with a short axle and track cranks fitted with 39T ring. Adjust chain line with spacers ( old cones screwed onto axle) on the non drive side.
    Its just a clean SS with no "stuff". No probs with tension, dropping chain or pulling wheel out of line.

    Unlike MoZ I was starting from scratch with a $ 10 Malvern Star 27" steel frame and not converting an existing "goer"

    By all means consider fixed, then go FREE. Its just me, I cant get my head around not being able to coast at will.

    Cheers
    Hugh

  15. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "JayWoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Gags Wrote:
    > >

    > > JayWoo......where did you get the handlebars from and how much were
    > > they??
    > >
    > > Gags

    > Hmmm, now you are testing my feeble little mind....
    >
    > I Think they are 'these...' (http://tinyurl.com/jesdk)
    >
    > --
    > JayWoo

    How did you manage to get an order done through Nashbar?? I have tried a
    couple of times and despite providing the phone number of my bank in Aust,
    Nashbar couldn't verify my details or some crap like that and they wouldn't
    process the order???

    Gags

  16. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Gags wrote:
    > How did you manage to get an order done through Nashbar?? I have tried a
    > couple of times and despite providing the phone number of my bank in Aust,
    > Nashbar couldn't verify my details or some crap like that and they wouldn't
    > process the order???

    Ditto. I and others have given up on Performance and Nashbar for the
    credit card hassles. Too bad because their specials and catalogues are
    good. Supergo has also gone after being bought by Performance/Nashbar.
    It's very tempting to go back, but the problem always surfaces just
    when you think you are home and hosed, canning the deal. So I've
    unsubscribed and deleted them from my favourites.

    Donga

  17. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    well thats done it, if Tim says so, then I am going to go Free,....!!! health insurance and ambulance is all paid up :)

  18. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-06-12, MikeyOz (aka Bruce)
    > TimC Wrote:
    >> > Does this sound ok....? Or should I really consider a Fixed ?

    >> Yes.

    > well thats done it, if Tim says so, then I am going to go Free,....!!!
    > health insurance and ambulance is all paid up :)

    Heh. Upon closer inspection, you will note I did not say yes to a
    particular one of your two questions, and thus you are now in a
    dilemma. Go fixed, because TimC said "it's OK", or go free, because
    TimC said "go fixed".

    Muhahahahahahahahaha! It's a trap!

    --
    TimC
    It's the _target_ that supposed to go "F00F", not the processor.

  19. JayWoo

    JayWoo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    It ain't that bad, you are already doing it (not changing gears).

  20. Gemma_k

    Gemma_k Guest

    "Gags" <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > JayWoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> MikeyOz Wrote:
    >> >

    > http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CS611B00-Gusset+Single+Speed+Conversion+Kit.aspx
    >> >
    >> > Does this seem like a good option, seems to make things a little
    >> > easier, by the looks of it ?? And I have to admit, my bike
    >> > fixing/tinkering skills are down there with the worst of them :)The

    > problem I see with this is you cannot fine tune your chain line. If
    >> you have the hand full of cassette spacers you can add\subtract with
    >> small increments.
    >>
    >> Like this;
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/46326865/
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/46326867/
    >> This was my 1st go at a SS conversion.
    >>
    >> --
    >> JayWoo
    >>

    > JayWoo......where did you get the handlebars from and how much were they??
    > I have been looking for some cowhorns for a while now that don't have too
    > much in the way of drop and aren't too long but with little success so
    > far.....also looking for a set of TT style brakes to go with them.

    Doh, I sold my TT brakes last week - but these make nice cowhorns (aero part
    is removeable - and no drop!)
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7246664533&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

    *grin*
    Gemm