Making a Fixed/Single speed bike

MikeyOz

New Member
Aug 12, 2003
Probably not going to get around to it straight away, however, my old Road bike, I tend to now ride around to get from place A to place B and obviously Ive noticed, I don't change gears, so what is the easiest way for someone like me to go about converting it to a "Fixed" or "Single" speed bike.

Firstly,

do I go fixed or single, fixed means no coasting correct ? you always have to peddle ?
What will I need, to do it ?

Can I use 1 onf the existing cogs from the rear cassette ? do I need a new hub ?

Mikey

MikeyOz wrote:
> Probably not going to get around to it straight away, however, my old
> Road bike, I tend to now ride around to get from place A to place B and
> obviously Ive noticed, I don't change gears, so what is the easiest way
> for someone like me to go about converting it to a "Fixed" or "Single"
> speed bike.

For single speed.

Set it in the gear you want and screw in the range adjusting screws on
the two derailleurs to lock it into place. Remove gear cables and levers
if you like. {:).

For fixed, i'd probably go the whole hog oa new wheels and cog with
front chain ring and chain. It is so fiddly to open the cluster and bog
it up with metal putty.

Here's an interesting frame for an MTB single/fixed:
http://tinyurl.com/ruc9g
"Go singlespeed with the Zion 660EBB! The eccentric bottom bracket
allows for perfect chain tension, disc caliper alignment, and chainline
- with no special rear wheel needed! Any standard quick release wheel
can be used."

donga

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 01:24:57 +1000, Terryc wrote:

> Set it in the gear you want and screw in the range adjusting screws on
> the two derailleurs to lock it into place. Remove gear cables and levers
> if you like. {:).

A better option is to find an old derailleur (MTBers often have a few
broken ones....) and chop the cage so you're only running the top jockey
wheel. Adjust using the limit screws so it's sitting in the right gear.

Now pull the main pivot spring out, put a washer over the body, and you
can screw it on to the hanger so that it'll stay where it's put. If you
get the screw tension right you can "adjust" the chain tension using brute
force, but it won't move under pedalling. This means you get less chain
slap and you're less likely to drop the chain, particularly if you're
running without a front derailleur (see David Millar's effort at Le Tour a
few years back for why this can be bad).

Pulling old clusters apart for spacers and to only run the appropriate
gear is an advanced option.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"Coming to work with a faraway look and a really heavy gym bag starts to

Random Data said:
Pulling old clusters apart for spacers and to only run the appropriate
gear is an advanced option.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CS611B00-Gusset+Single+Speed+Conversion+Kit.aspx

Does this seem like a good option, seems to make things a little easier, by the looks of it ?? And I have to admit, my bike fixing/tinkering skills are down there with the worst of them :)

MikeyOz said:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CS611B00-Gusset+Single+Speed+Conversion+Kit.aspx

Does this seem like a good option, seems to make things a little easier, by the looks of it ?? And I have to admit, my bike fixing/tinkering skills are down there with the worst of them :)
The problem I see with this is you cannot fine tune your chain line. If you have the hand full of cassette spacers you can add\subtract with small increments.

Like this;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/46326865/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/46326867/
This was my 1st go at a SS conversion.

JayWoo said:
The problem I see with this is you cannot fine tune your chain line. If you have the hand full of cassette spacers you can add\subtract with small increments.

Thanks for all the feedback guys... i'm starting to see the issues, I want to basically do away with the derailluers, shifters, all that stuff.

I read those 2 articles FD, which "kind" of cleared things up a little, so its looks like I might go for a single speed, not sure If I am to keen to go for the fixed just yet, I can see myself almost killing myself initially :)

so basically, I remove the small ring at the front, either pull apart my rear cassette and use the sprocket I want to use, buy spacers or obtain them to give myself a straight chainline and get one of the funky chain tensioner that Jaywoo uses to tension the chain. And I should be set to go yeah ?

And then new handle bars and possibly an add on break to save myself in time of emergency.

Does this sound ok....? Or should I really consider a Fixed ?

On 2006-06-10, MikeyOz (aka Bruce)
> Thanks for all the feedback guys... i'm starting to see the issues, I
> want to basically do away with the derailluers, shifters, all that
> stuff.
>
> I read those 2 articles FD, which "kind" of cleared things up a little,
> so its looks like I might go for a single speed, not sure If I am to
> keen to go for the fixed just yet, I can see myself almost killing
> myself initially :)

Ah, it's not that hard. I borrowed someone's fixie (thanks Resound!),
and went straight from having never ridden a big-boy's single speed
(actually, the single speed/accidental fixie I rode when I was a kid
was actually a girl's bike anyway) to riding a fixie for a week. And
in that time, I didn't crash once -- if I can do it, then anyone can!

> Does this sound ok....? Or should I really consider a Fixed ?

Yes.

--
TimC
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall

MikeyOz said:
Thanks for all the feedback guys... i'm starting to see the issues, I want to basically do away with the derailluers, shifters, all that stuff.

And then new handle bars and possibly an add on break to save myself in time of emergency.

Does this sound ok....? Or should I really consider a Fixed ?

A brake is essential on a SS (Front+ rear) - you don't have the option of any "backpedal' retarding force on a SS.

If you can find the hub a SS/fixed convertable with a flip-flop hub is a good plan. - look it up on Sheldon's site. best of both worlds, but it still needs brakes

RoryW

JayWoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> MikeyOz Wrote:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CS611B00-Gusset+Single+Speed+Conversion+Kit.aspx

> > Does this seem like a good option, seems to make things a little
> > easier, by the looks of it ?? And I have to admit, my bike
> > fixing/tinkering skills are down there with the worst of them :)The

problem I see with this is you cannot fine tune your chain line. If
> you have the hand full of cassette spacers you can add\subtract with
> small increments.
>
> Like this;
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/46326865/
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/46326867/
> This was my 1st go at a SS conversion.
>
> --
> JayWoo

JayWoo......where did you get the handlebars from and how much were they??
I have been looking for some cowhorns for a while now that don't have too
much in the way of drop and aren't too long but with little success so
far.....also looking for a set of TT style brakes to go with them.

Gags

Gags said:
I have been looking for some cowhorns for a while now that don't have too
much in the way of drop...
Forgot to say how much I love 'the drop' on these too. Real comfy when sitting up & crusin' along.

MikeyOz said:
Thanks for all the feedback guys...
SNIP....not sure If I am to keen to go for the fixed just yet, I can see myself almost killing myself initially :)

so basically, I remove the small ring at the front, either pull apart my rear cassette and use the sprocket I want to use, buy spacers or obtain them to give myself a straight chainline and get one of the funky chain tensioner that Jaywoo uses to tension the chain. And I should be set to go yeah ?
Does this sound ok....? Or should I really consider a Fixed ?

I took an easy way out. Track hub with a Suntour 17T BMX freewheel. Sealed BB with a short axle and track cranks fitted with 39T ring. Adjust chain line with spacers ( old cones screwed onto axle) on the non drive side.
Its just a clean SS with no "stuff". No probs with tension, dropping chain or pulling wheel out of line.

Unlike MoZ I was starting from scratch with a $ 10 Malvern Star 27" steel frame and not converting an existing "goer"

By all means consider fixed, then go FREE. Its just me, I cant get my head around not being able to coast at will.

Cheers
Hugh

"JayWoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Gags Wrote:
> >

> > JayWoo......where did you get the handlebars from and how much were
> > they??
> >
> > Gags

> Hmmm, now you are testing my feeble little mind....
>
> I Think they are 'these...' (http://tinyurl.com/jesdk)
>
> --
> JayWoo

How did you manage to get an order done through Nashbar?? I have tried a
couple of times and despite providing the phone number of my bank in Aust,
Nashbar couldn't verify my details or some **** like that and they wouldn't
process the order???

Gags

Gags wrote:
> How did you manage to get an order done through Nashbar?? I have tried a
> couple of times and despite providing the phone number of my bank in Aust,
> Nashbar couldn't verify my details or some **** like that and they wouldn't
> process the order???

Ditto. I and others have given up on Performance and Nashbar for the
credit card hassles. Too bad because their specials and catalogues are
good. Supergo has also gone after being bought by Performance/Nashbar.
It's very tempting to go back, but the problem always surfaces just
when you think you are home and hosed, canning the deal. So I've
unsubscribed and deleted them from my favourites.

Donga

TimC said:
> Does this sound ok....? Or should I really consider a Fixed ?
Yes.

well thats done it, if Tim says so, then I am going to go Free,....!!! health insurance and ambulance is all paid up :)

On 2006-06-12, MikeyOz (aka Bruce)
> TimC Wrote:
>> > Does this sound ok....? Or should I really consider a Fixed ?

>> Yes.

> well thats done it, if Tim says so, then I am going to go Free,....!!!
> health insurance and ambulance is all paid up :)

Heh. Upon closer inspection, you will note I did not say yes to a
particular one of your two questions, and thus you are now in a
dilemma. Go fixed, because TimC said "it's OK", or go free, because
TimC said "go fixed".

Muhahahahahahahahaha! It's a trap!

--
TimC
It's the _target_ that supposed to go "F00F", not the processor.

MikeyOz said:
well thats done it, if Tim says so, then I am going to go Free,....!!! health insurance and ambulance is all paid up :)
It ain't that bad, you are already doing it (not changing gears).

"Gags" <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> JayWoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> MikeyOz Wrote:
>> >

> http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CS611B00-Gusset+Single+Speed+Conversion+Kit.aspx
>> >
>> > Does this seem like a good option, seems to make things a little
>> > easier, by the looks of it ?? And I have to admit, my bike
>> > fixing/tinkering skills are down there with the worst of them :)The

> problem I see with this is you cannot fine tune your chain line. If
>> you have the hand full of cassette spacers you can add\subtract with
>> small increments.
>>
>> Like this;
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/46326865/
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/46326867/
>> This was my 1st go at a SS conversion.
>>
>> --
>> JayWoo
>>

> JayWoo......where did you get the handlebars from and how much were they??
> I have been looking for some cowhorns for a while now that don't have too
> much in the way of drop and aren't too long but with little success so
> far.....also looking for a set of TT style brakes to go with them.

Doh, I sold my TT brakes last week - but these make nice cowhorns (aero part
is removeable - and no drop!)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7246664533&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

*grin*
Gemm