Making a rim Stronger

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mark, Mar 22, 2003.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Anyone ever heard of wiring your spokes together to make your rim stronger ? I've seen it on Paris
    Dakar motocross bikes but never on Mountain bikes. Thanks

    Mark

    Tags:

  2. Mark wrote:
    > Anyone ever heard of wiring your spokes together to make your rim stronger ? I've seen it on Paris
    > Dakar motocross bikes but never on Mountain bikes. Thanks
    >
    > Mark

    it is (or was) a common practice of wheel builders in the europe. 36 spoke, 3 cross, tied and
    soldered, standard fare at paris/rubuex <- did i spell that right? it doesn't give a wheel much, if
    any, more strength but it does keep a busted spoke from causing any more damage. there was afad a
    few years ago of twisting the spokes, silly idea.

  3. Stu

    Stu Guest

  4. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...
    > Anyone ever heard of wiring your spokes together to make your rim stronger
    ?
    > I've seen it on Paris Dakar motocross bikes but never on Mountain bikes. Thanks
    >
    > Mark

    If you google rec.bicycles.tech you will find this subject discussed ad nauseam.

    Andy Chequer

  5. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    James Connell wrote:

    > it is (or was) a common practice of wheel builders in the europe. 36 spoke, 3 cross, tied and
    > soldered, standard fare at paris/rubuex <- did i spell that right?

    Roubaix

    it doesn't give a wheel much, if any, more strength
    > but it does keep a busted spoke from causing any more damage. there was afad a few years ago of
    > twisting the spokes, silly idea.

    Snowflaking. Stupid.