Making a statement (was That was a close one)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Huw Pritchard, Feb 21, 2003.

  1. So, after my near-miss with the Subaru Impreza, the Police have sent me a statement form to fill in.

    I was just wondering about this one question:

    "Describe each vehicle (make and colour) involved in the accident."

    1. Seeing as I wasn't actually hit by the car, was my bike involved?
    2. Can anyone think of how I put down the make and colour of my bike without the Police thinking I'm
    taking the mick? I was riding a grey Orange at the time. ;-)

  2. Huw Pritchard <[email protected]> wrote:
    >So, after my near-miss with the Subaru Impreza, the Police have sent me a statement form to fill
    >in. I was just wondering about this one question: "Describe each vehicle (make and colour) involved
    >in the accident."
    >1. Seeing as I wasn't actually hit by the car, was my bike involved?

    "I was riding my bicycle, manufactured by Orange, which is grey in colour."

  3. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So, after my near-miss with the Subaru Impreza, the Police have sent me a statement form to
    > fill in.
    >
    > I was just wondering about this one question:
    >
    > "Describe each vehicle (make and colour) involved in the accident."
    >
    > 1. Seeing as I wasn't actually hit by the car, was my bike involved?

    I would say not. Therefore you are giving a statement about an event you witnessed but was not party
    to. Had the car hit you you would be both a witness to the event and an affected party.

    Pete

  4. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:35:07 +0000 (UTC), Peter B <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> So, after my near-miss with the Subaru Impreza, the Police have sent me a statement form to
    >> fill in.
    >>
    >> I was just wondering about this one question:
    >>
    >> "Describe each vehicle (make and colour) involved in the accident."
    >>
    >> 1. Seeing as I wasn't actually hit by the car, was my bike involved?
    >
    > I would say not. Therefore you are giving a statement about an event you witnessed but was not
    > party to. Had the car hit you you would be both a witness to the event and an affected party.

    OTOH, the driver might claim that his lights were green and he braked and skidded to avoid a cyclist
    jumping the lights.

    Unless there are other witnesses who can collaborate the original post I would suggest including all
    the information in the OP in the report. (It is probably also a good idea to refer to the post as
    "notes". This will make any court appearances - witness to a charge of dangerous driving or claim
    against you by the driver - much simpler as well.)

    IANAL.

    Tim.