Making a statement (was That was a close one)

Huw Pritchard

Guest
So, after my near-miss with the Subaru Impreza, the Police have sent me a statement form to fill in.

I was just wondering about this one question:

"Describe each vehicle (make and colour) involved in the accident."

1. Seeing as I wasn't actually hit by the car, was my bike involved?
2. Can anyone think of how I put down the make and colour of my bike without the Police thinking I'm
taking the mick? I was riding a grey Orange at the time. ;-)

Huw Pritchard <[email protected]> wrote:
>So, after my near-miss with the Subaru Impreza, the Police have sent me a statement form to fill
>in. I was just wondering about this one question: "Describe each vehicle (make and colour) involved
>in the accident."
>1. Seeing as I wasn't actually hit by the car, was my bike involved?

"I was riding my bicycle, manufactured by Orange, which is grey in colour."

"Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So, after my near-miss with the Subaru Impreza, the Police have sent me a statement form to
> fill in.
>
> I was just wondering about this one question:
>
> "Describe each vehicle (make and colour) involved in the accident."
>
> 1. Seeing as I wasn't actually hit by the car, was my bike involved?

I would say not. Therefore you are giving a statement about an event you witnessed but was not party
to. Had the car hit you you would be both a witness to the event and an affected party.

Pete

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:35:07 +0000 (UTC), Peter B <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> So, after my near-miss with the Subaru Impreza, the Police have sent me a statement form to
>> fill in.
>>
>> I was just wondering about this one question:
>>
>> "Describe each vehicle (make and colour) involved in the accident."
>>
>> 1. Seeing as I wasn't actually hit by the car, was my bike involved?
>
> I would say not. Therefore you are giving a statement about an event you witnessed but was not
> party to. Had the car hit you you would be both a witness to the event and an affected party.

OTOH, the driver might claim that his lights were green and he braked and skidded to avoid a cyclist
jumping the lights.

Unless there are other witnesses who can collaborate the original post I would suggest including all
the information in the OP in the report. (It is probably also a good idea to refer to the post as
"notes". This will make any court appearances - witness to a charge of dangerous driving or claim
against you by the driver - much simpler as well.)

IANAL.

Tim.