Making brunch next Sunday

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Bob, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "Ariane Jenkins" <snip>

    : I've had the good fortune to be in the company of better
    behaved
    : children with more open minds. I think at least some of it has
    to do
    : with their parents' attitudes toward food. Not limiting one's imagination regarding what foods
    : kids might conceivably enjoy
    would
    : help a great deal, I'd imagine.
    :
    : Even if he doesn't like some of the options, it's not like Bob's menu lacks things that may appeal
    : to a pickier eater.
    Hell,
    : Bob's menu hardly lacks anything, I wish he'd invite ME to this
    brunch! :)
    :
    : Ariane
    :
    : P.S. I'd eat chicken nuggets as a kid, but they were far from
    my
    : favorite food, and wouldn't even have made it to my top ten.
    Spinach
    : stir-fried with garlic and oyster sauce would have, though.
    ==============

    I'm with you Ariane... hmmm, come to think of it, food-wise, I think I've always agreed with
    you...! <G>

    I know that Nathan eats a lot of foods that seemingly, other kids his age are not into. The kid was
    eating cocktail onions, green olives,dill pickles, tuna fish, and pickled garlic by 10 months of
    age. He'll be 5 (oh my gosh where did the time go?!) in April and the child adores salads too. He
    and I are alike where chicken nuggets are concerned - we'll eat them but they are way near the
    bottom of our lists of likes.

    Hey, does anyone have Bob's address? I'm thinking he may need help eating some of the leftovers and
    I'd hate to think that any of it may go to waste... <G> Killer menu!

    I remember the first time I was served spinach (my mom didn't really care for vegetables so it
    probably really was the first time!) ... I was about 4 and was being baby-sat by the neighbors next
    door. They told me everything that we were having for dinner and I was told that I probably wouldn't
    care for the spinach and didn't have to eat it if I didn't like it... I noticed them pouring
    (sprinkling) something on theirs... they said it was vinegar and I definitely, most likely would not
    like that! Surprise! I got half way through the spinach and asked if I could try the vinegar on it
    too... it's been a first rate love affair ever since. Spinach begs for a sprinkle of vinegar (helps
    you to absorb the iron in it I later found out). Ohhhh, and so do fresh fried fries.......<drool>
    malt vinegar and french fries (freedom fries, cottage fries, chips, etc.).
    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

  2. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Gloria answered Stan:

    >> I would just go with the waffles since that's an item that the adults and the kid will be likely
    >> to enjoy.
    >

    > Funny, that was the item I was going to suggest omitting.

    The waffles are primarily for the kid; he loves 'em. My girlfriend is also fond of waffles and eggs
    for breakfast, so she might have one. It's doubtful, though, since she'll probably fill up on bialys
    and Eggs Benedict.

    Bob

  3. On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:50:37 GMT, Rick & Cyndi
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm with you Ariane... hmmm, come to think of it, food-wise, I think I've always agreed with
    > you...! <G>

    Hey, we just happen to both have indisputably good taste. <g>

    > I know that Nathan eats a lot of foods that seemingly, other kids his age are not into. The kid
    > was eating cocktail onions, green olives,dill pickles, tuna fish, and pickled garlic by 10 months
    > of age. He'll be 5 (oh my gosh where did the time go?!) in April and the child adores salads too.
    > He and I are alike where chicken nuggets are concerned - we'll eat them but they are way near the
    > bottom of our lists of likes.

    What a winner you've raised! I like to see a kid with an eclectic appetite. :) It reminds me
    of the past couple Chicago cook-ins, actually-- with Cree's son Max chowing down on grated
    bittersweet Sharfenberger, and Abi and Liz and Bill's young sons happily eating sushi... It
    was good to see such great examples of kids who don't just eat "kid food".

    > Hey, does anyone have Bob's address? I'm thinking he may need help eating some of the leftovers
    > and I'd hate to think that any of it may go to waste... <G> Killer menu!

    You getting this, Bob? When would you like us to be over to help you dispose of those
    pesky leftovers? ;)

    > I remember the first time I was served spinach (my mom didn't really care for vegetables so it
    > probably really was the first time!) ... I was about 4 and was being baby-sat by the neighbors
    > next door. They told me everything that we were having for dinner and I was told that I probably
    > wouldn't care for the spinach and didn't have to eat it if I didn't like it... I noticed them
    > pouring (sprinkling) something on theirs... they said it was vinegar and I definitely, most likely
    > would not like that! Surprise! I got half way through the spinach and asked if I could try the
    > vinegar on it too... it's been a first rate love affair ever since. Spinach begs for a sprinkle of
    > vinegar (helps you to absorb the iron in it I later found out). Ohhhh, and so do fresh fried
    > fries.......<drool> malt vinegar and french fries (freedom fries, cottage fries, chips, etc.).

    Ah, Erik is a real sucker for malt vinegar on fries, too. He's never been a ketchup fan
    and usually eats them as is if there's no vinegar. But when we were in England, he was
    in heaven!

    Ariane

  4. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Rick & Cyndi wrote:

    > I remember the first time I was served spinach (my mom didn't really care for vegetables so it
    > probably really was the first time!) ... I was about 4 and was being baby-sat by the neighbors
    > next door. They told me everything that we were having for dinner and I was told that I probably
    > wouldn't care for the spinach and didn't have to eat it if I didn't like it... I noticed them
    > pouring (sprinkling) something on theirs... they said it was vinegar and I definitely, most likely
    > would not like that! Surprise! I got half way through the spinach and asked if I could try the
    > vinegar on it too... it's been a first rate love affair ever since. Spinach begs for a sprinkle of
    > vinegar (helps you to absorb the iron in it I later found out). Ohhhh, and so do fresh fried
    > fries.......<drool> malt vinegar and french fries (freedom fries, cottage fries, chips, etc.).
    > --
    > Cyndi

    My family always ate spinach with vinegar. Fries, too. I was surprised that most people don't!

    gloria p

  5. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Cyndi wrote:

    > Hey, does anyone have Bob's address? I'm thinking he may need help eating some of the leftovers
    > and I'd hate to think that any of it may go to waste... <G> Killer menu!

    I live in Lincoln, California. Anybody out there live nearby?

    Bob

  6. "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > At any rate, so far I haven't seen any workable improvements suggested, so
    > guess I'll stick with my original game plan. Maybe I'll add steamed asparagus and grilled tomato
    > slices to the Eggs Benedict variations; those are a couple of my favorites.
    >
    > Bob

    Humph! How rude! I thought my suggestions were quite workable, and reasonable! Notice I did not even
    suggest you scale down! :p

    rona

  7. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    : Cyndi wrote:
    :
    : > Hey, does anyone have Bob's address? I'm thinking he may
    need
    : > help eating some of the leftovers and I'd hate to think that
    any
    : > of it may go to waste... <G> Killer menu!
    :
    : I live in Lincoln, California. Anybody out there live nearby?
    :
    : Bob
    ==========

    Aw dookies! Nope, Armpit, Illinois.

    I really need to win one of these supper lotteries so I can
    live/commute to all of the neat places that everyone, here, are from. Wow, to be able to travel to
    meet so many of you and go to all of the lovely cookins and brunches... There are so many of
    you that I'd love to meet! Meanwhile, I'll just have to live vicariously (sp?) through the
    multitudes of postings.
    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

  8. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Rona wrote:

    > Humph! How rude! I thought my suggestions were quite workable, and reasonable! Notice I did not
    > even suggest you scale down! :p

    I'm sorry, Rona, but I never saw the suggestions from you. I must have gotten delete-happy. So I
    reset my server settings and checked again, and I *just* read those suggestions. Yes, they are
    workable, and I'll give them some thought. Here are a few off-the-cuff responses:

    Yes, bacon is a good idea. I was going to cook bacon anyway to be available in omelets; it would be
    simple to just put out a plate of the stuff.

    > Having smoked salmon with "everything" bialys is a waste, IMO. Some of the flavours of the bialys
    > would drown out the salmon. I would make plain ones or make an assortment but serve the plain ones
    > with the salmon.

    I'm making "everything" bialys because my girlfriend loves them. She likes them with or without
    salmon. Also, the salmon I'm using is *not* lox or other subtly-flavored salmon. It's alder-smoked
    Northwest salmon, which is assertive enough to stand up to the bialys.

    > Instead of canned apricots, I might use chopped dried apricots to sprinkle on the whipped cream. I
    > don't like canned apricots, though, so I think that's just me. I might also add some kind of
    > homemade fruit sauce--maybe a mixed berry sauce? They're pretty :).

    That's one of the things I'll have to think about.

    > If you really want to go all out and impress them even further, add a chocolate fondue or ganache
    > fountain (or just a pot :)) alongside the fruit. I don't really like them that much (the
    > chocolate fondue part is rarely very good) but they sure do look pretty!

    I'll probably pass on this. The kid could easily make a disaster out of it. Moreover, I'm not fond
    of those fondues either, and neither is my girlfriend.

    > Cake doughnuts or yeast? I prefer yeast. Instead of doughnuts, I might do small beignets or
    > doughnut 'holes'. This is because you have a lot of food here and were I attending, I would want
    > to at least try a bit of everything. A whole doughnut would be too much but a small beignet or
    > 'hole' would give me enough of a taste to satisfy (and perhaps leave me wanting more).

    The point is well-taken, but this is an item that I'm considering omitting altogether. I was just
    going to buy the yeast doughnuts covered with granulated sugar from my local bakery, but they'd
    really be superfluous. Still, I'll think some more about it; maybe doughnut holes would be better.

    > And bottled water!

    Yes, bottled water indeed; I had forgotten about it.

    By the way, to address a comment made by somebody else, I *will* be socializing with my girlfriend's
    family: The common phenomenon is for everybody to hang around the kitchen when a meal is being
    prepared. But I've known them all for four years or more; I'm not just getting to know them, and I'm
    not trying to make any kind of good first impression. I just enjoy feeding my guests well.

    Bob

  9. "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I'm sorry, Rona, but I never saw the suggestions from you. I must have gotten delete-happy. So I
    > reset my server settings and checked again, and
    > *just* read those suggestions. Yes, they are workable, and I'll give them some thought. Here are a
    > few off-the-cuff responses:

    No problema. I was really just kidding :) (although I quite liked my ideas!).

    One more thing--if you're making the croissants, you might want to consider making smaller ones, for
    the same reason I suggested doughnut holes instead of full doughnuts. Leftover croissants freeze
    well, but it would make me very sad to see people take a bite or two out of a delicious croissant
    and leave the rest for the garbage (personally, I might eat the leftovers off their plates when
    they're gone!)

    OT, but along the same line, I've been taking a wine tasting class and in the class is a couple that
    hates sweet wines. They have professed this many times so all the other students know they hate
    them. Despite this, they each poured large amounts of German reislings into their glasses, took one
    sip, spat it out, and threw out the rest. I was annoyed because there was only so much of each wine
    for each person and they had taken *double* the 'normal' amount leaving less for the rest of us who
    did like them. Thoughtless (and greedy) people annoy me. . rona

  10. Snapper

    Snapper Guest

    You have a salmon farm?

    "The only difference between being in a rut and a grave is the depth."

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm making brunch for my girlfriend's family next Sunday, and this is what I'm thinking of
    > offering. (There will be four adults and a five-year-old, and we'll be eating around 10:30 AM, so
    > something like a tossed salad
    would
    > be a little out of place.)
    >

    > "Everything" Bialys with: Cream Cheese Smoked Salmon Capers
    >
    > Eggs Benedict, and variations thereof: Smoked salmon Avocado
    >
    > Omelets with any or all of the following: Brie Feta Cheddar Spinach Avocado Blanched Broccoli
    > Roasted Garlic Bacon Smoked Salmon
    >
    > Cheese Blintzes with honey & strawberries
    >
    > Waffles with: Maple Syrup Honey Canned Sour Cherries Canned Apricots Fresh Strawberries
    > Whipped Cream
    >
    > Fresh Fruit Pineapple chunks Orange segments Honeydew chunks Cantaloupe chunks Bananas
    > Strawberries
    >
    > Plain croissants Sugar doughnuts Chocolate croissants Almond croissants
    >
    > tea coffee fresh-squeezed tangelo juice milk
    >
    > The bialys, fruit, blintzes, waffle toppings, and pastries will be laid
    out
    > in a buffet style. The waffle batter and hollandaise sauce will be made about a half-hour
    > before the guests arrive. The omelet fillings and Eggs Benedict ingredients will be laid out at
    > the stove.
    >
    > Any suggestions for refinements? (Don't bother telling me that there will
    be
    > lots of leftovers. I'm fully aware of it, and I don't have any problem
    with
    > that.)
    >
    > Bob

  11. Kajikit

    Kajikit Guest

    Bob saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all about
    it on 24 Feb 2004 02:58:20 -0600:

    >Rona wrote:

    >> Cake doughnuts or yeast? I prefer yeast. Instead of doughnuts, I might do small beignets or
    >> doughnut 'holes'. This is because you have a lot of food here and were I attending, I would want
    >> to at least try a bit of everything. A whole doughnut would be too much but a small beignet or
    >> 'hole' would give me enough of a taste to satisfy (and perhaps leave me wanting more).
    >
    >The point is well-taken, but this is an item that I'm considering omitting altogether. I was just
    >going to buy the yeast doughnuts covered with granulated sugar from my local bakery, but they'd
    >really be superfluous. Still, I'll think some more about it; maybe doughnut holes would be better.

    I'd skip the donuts - with all those other delicious homemade goodies, who needs donuts bought
    from a shop? I'd also skip the omelettes and just have eggs benedict. I'm sure the kid will want
    waffles :)

    It sounds delicious!