Making CROUTONS without burning--so easy

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Nancree, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Nancree

    Nancree Guest

    FIRST--set oven to 350 degrees

    THEN prepare bread cubes, you know how--olve oil, garlic, parsley/coriander. Toss.

    THEN--and this is the guaranteed secret: Put prepared cubes on baking sheet, turn OFF oven, and put
    in baking sheet. Check in 20 minutes. They should be perfect. Do not EVER have cubes in the oven
    while heat is on. You may get away with it once, but over the years you will save many ruined bread
    cubes, melba toasts, crisped crackers, etc.

    Nancree

    Tags:

  2. Jlove98905

    Jlove98905 Guest

    Does it matter where in the oven I put the cubes? -Jen

    >Put prepared cubes on baking sheet, turn OFF oven, and put in baking sheet. Check in 20 minutes.

    Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

  3. Nancy Dooley

    Nancy Dooley Guest

    [email protected] (Nancree) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > FIRST--set oven to 350 degrees
    >
    > THEN prepare bread cubes, you know how--olve oil, garlic, parsley/coriander. Toss.
    >
    > THEN--and this is the guaranteed secret: Put prepared cubes on baking sheet, turn OFF oven, and
    > put in baking sheet. Check in 20 minutes. They should be perfect. Do not EVER have cubes in the
    > oven while heat is on. You may get away with it once, but over the years you will save many ruined
    > bread cubes, melba toasts, crisped crackers, etc.
    >
    > Nancree

    The oven can be on while you make them, but it shouldn't be at 350 - too high for drying out and
    lightly browning cubes of bread. I always do my cubes in the oven - at about 275 or so - and just
    check on them periodically (about every 7 minutes or so) - I like them completely dry, inside and
    out, and when they turn golden brown, they are perfect.

    N.

  4. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    [email protected] (Nancy Dooley) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > [email protected] (Nancree) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> FIRST--set oven to 350 degrees
    >>
    >> THEN prepare bread cubes, you know how--olve oil, garlic, parsley/coriander. Toss.
    >>
    >> THEN--and this is the guaranteed secret: Put prepared cubes on baking sheet, turn OFF oven, and
    >> put in baking sheet. Check in 20 minutes. They should be perfect. Do not EVER have cubes in the
    >> oven while heat is on. You may get away with it once, but over the years you will save many
    >> ruined bread cubes, melba toasts, crisped crackers, etc.
    >>
    >> Nancree
    >
    > The oven can be on while you make them, but it shouldn't be at 350 - too high for drying out and
    > lightly browning cubes of bread. I always do my cubes in the oven - at about 275 or so - and just
    > check on them periodically (about every 7 minutes or so) - I like them completely dry, inside and
    > out, and when they turn golden brown, they are perfect.
    >
    > N.

    any crutons or bread that I want to convert into bread crumbs resides on my spare broiler pan.
    After I use the oven for anything I put the broiler into the oven, this gets me my crutons or
    crumbs with a good feeling because I used the excess heat from cooking to make something for almost
    free. Sure if O'm making crumbs the broiler might need more than one trip into the still warm oven
    but such is life.

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
    --------

  5. Nancree

    Nancree Guest

    >Does it matter where in the oven I put the cubes? -Jen

    No, not really. I have my oven rack in the center. Nancree