Making Flat Bar Road Bikes faster and lighter

Hi Ben,

Tnx for your reply. Glad you still love your bike. You may be sad to learn that I in the end went the drop bar road bike way..with a EMC2..designed by a New Zealander ..hey you got to buy NZ if you are one, and I"m in NZ after all.
Rode my Advanti Blade sport for the last time this morning but this afternoon took the EMC for a spin. My legs told me I had already done one ride for the day!! And my second ride was all uphill..up the side of our local mountain and I meant mountain, mid summer here and its still got snow on it!!
robalert said:
i have a 06 CRX and absolutely love it Felt a bit lost with my front shifters not telling what gear I was in by reading the numbers..but guess my legs will tell this eventually. See ya down the road. Tommillar

not your cup of tea since the paintjob is silver tho

i too have added some carbon fibre bar ends

can't think of much more options to lighten it, since i already find it light enough

the maxxis uncategorie 700x23c are fast but ride is alot harsher and not suitable for commuting

i run a FSA Gossamer compact crankset and ultegra cassette 12-25

I also run a Sigma BC1600... love the cadence function!

unfortunately i added weight with my christmas feasts... apart from replacing worn parts, I doubt i would upspec any parts

I took a Giant OCR C3 and added an Easton Monkey Lite bar, Shimano shifters and Tektro levers.

It is light, nimble, and fast.

Here are photographs of my bike after conversion to flat bar:

still loving my CRX1... got another set of rims for commuting cause I got sick of constantly changing from 28s to 23s for the weekend and back for commuting

just added EC90 Easton flat bar (99g) ... and some ergo grips with built in barends... and swapped out for a longer EA50 stem 120mm... (original was 105mm EA30)

Soon to pop some Michelin Prorace2s on the R550s and see how the set up goes.... :)

I tried out my bro TCR1... geometry was nuts... or more specifically crushed my nuts... impossible for me to go to the drops... tried a friend's OCR1.0.... no thanks!

I am not really interested in going faster than 78km/h so don't need drop bar road bike yet...

robalert said:
still loving my CRX1... got another set of rims for commuting cause I got sick of constantly changing from 28s to 23s for the weekend and back for commuting

just added EC90 Easton flat bar (99g) ... and some ergo grips with built in barends... and swapped out for a longer EA50 stem 120mm... (original was 105mm EA30)

Soon to pop some Michelin Prorace2s on the R550s and see how the set up goes.... :)

I tried out my bro TCR1... geometry was nuts... or more specifically crushed my nuts... impossible for me to go to the drops... tried a friend's OCR1.0.... no thanks!

I am not really interested in going faster than 78km/h so don't need drop bar road bike yet...

Which brand and model of bar ends did you add?

robalert said:
........................I am not really interested in going faster than 78km/h so don't need drop bar road bike yet...
Tip......take the second magnet off the spokes

flatbarfanatic said:
hi. i still ride my giant crx1 every day and love it big time. it is awesome as are flat bar roadbikes, so totally endorse it. one year later, id probably want even thinner tyres and a even lighter.. like the more expensive top of line norco.. but really this bike is awesome totally recommend it, as i woudl those like it, ala top of line norco and specialized... but go for it. email me or post with specific questions if u have them. LOVE the flatbar.. really. Ben
This is really after the fact since you just picked up your new bike ... but, a "project" bike that I only need to cable & attach a chain to is an extra hardtail frame I had onto which I put a road fork; but, it may be of more interest to other readers & riders.

FYI. As luck would have it, I was able to simply attach a long-reach Tektro brake caliper to the rear bridge on the seat stays.

robalert said:
Sorry Rob, I have just read the thread & realise you were just reinterating what Bugerlugs posted. Foot in mouth again.

HughMann said:
You dont say what tyres you have but I can thoroughly recommend Specialized Armadillo All Condition tyres. 28mm slicks. Something of similar quality in a slick would be fine. Need to get a tyre that will take 100psi.
I agree completely - the armadilo is awesome :) i ran them on my old mountain bike (as a commuter) - never had a flat with them - never.

also on my road bike - also never had a flat - however i had regular flats with the old tyres (specalised pro).

flatbarfanatic said:
I pick up my giant crx 1 on Saturday. Unlike those moving from roadbikes to flat bars, I am going from hard tail mountain bike to flat bar – been sick of going slow, but didnt want to be confined only to the road.

I admired the road bike speed of the felt sr 71, loved the fork and disc brakes of the specialized sirrus pro disk, but Ive always wanted an all black bike (2000 f2000 lefty cannondale all black was always my dream bike)… but now I need some road speed, but still hoping to not be wearing tights and riding along beach road.

Hence the Giant CRX1 - total cost under $1800 incl below changes (better to do before you own parts and then want to change them) - from Terry Hammond Cycles in Port Melbourne, VIC. (they have been really good guys)

I have done some basic mods to the bike, mainly aesthetic – changed the silver truvativ crank to a black shimano 105 crank, using dmr v8 black mountain bike pedals (looks better than standard plastic ick), BBB carbon fibre composite bar ends, cateye 7 wireless computer (in black J) as well as cateye ultra cool black front light (HL-EL400)

I am now interested in doing some modifications to bike to get it lighter and more speed.

Im going to see what the tyres are like but may go from the 28’s to 24 or so.. any one done this ? or can recommend specific tyres ? Thanks

I was interested in disc brakes ala the top of the line Sirrus but the CRX 1 isnt set up to do so, so I guess that’s not a goer. And the LBS says it wont add much as I wont be off-off road.

I would love to upgrade the levers and v-brakes... I see that Campagnolo have new ultra-sexy carbon fibre ultra light levers out (Chorus line) O/S but Im sure they will be about same price as the CRX. I find the V-Brakes a bit cheapo to be honest but I should ride them first before I judge J

Anyone with any carbon fibre, speed/weight saving ideas for flat bar bikes, please tell

And please no-one recommend to put drop-bars on.

Im flatbarfanatic and im not wearing fluro tights ok… (except underneath !)

Ben
giant crx-1

I can't give any specific recommendations on making the bike faster but I can tell you the results of some testing I have been doing. Based on a series of 20 ten mile time trials with a variety of bike setups, I was not able to discern any significant difference in speed between my flat bar road bike (Ibex Corrida 4.4, 2003 model) and my drop bar road bike (Cannondale RW700, 2002 model) when the same size tire (25 mm 100 psi road tire) was used. They averaged 17.86 and 17.81 mph respectively.

However, when I tested the effects of a larger tire on the flat bar bike, I found that there was a significant (2%) difference going from a 28 mm, 80 psi tire (Kenda Kwest) to a 25 mm, 100 psi tire (Kenda Kontender). They averaged 17.54 and 17.86 mph respectively.

I'm not a competitive athlete, so there may be some difference at higher speeds, where the drops might give an aero advantage; and the drop bars may be more comfortable for some over longer distances (I haven't found this to be the case).

cheezyrider said:
I can't give any specific recommendations on making the bike faster but I can tell you the results of some testing I have been doing. Based on a series of 20 ten mile time trials with a variety of bike setups, I was not able to discern any significant difference in speed between my flat bar road bike (Ibex Corrida 4.4, 2003 model) and my drop bar road bike (Cannondale RW700, 2002 model) when the same size tire (25 mm 100 psi road tire) was used. They averaged 17.86 and 17.81 mph respectively.

However, when I tested the effects of a larger tire on the flat bar bike, I found that there was a significant (2%) difference going from a 28 mm, 80 psi tire (Kenda Kwest) to a 25 mm, 100 psi tire (Kenda Kontender). They averaged 17.54 and 17.86 mph respectively.

I'm not a competitive athlete, so there may be some difference at higher speeds, where the drops might give an aero advantage; and the drop bars may be more comfortable for some over longer distances (I haven't found this to be the case).
Drop bars realistically become helpful for speed above 30km/h. You didn't get there.

I had a Merida Flat Bar road last year.

The bike came standard with 700 x 28 cc tyres. I lasted about 3 months on them and changed to 23's. Although alot faster, I felt every bump on the road.
Maybe the carbon front end of the CRX 1 may take a little sting out of it. But if I was only commuting I would stick with the 28's.

Why would you want to put drop bars on a flat bar road bike?

Defeats the purpose of a flat bar roadbike....doesnt it?

If you want to go faster get a full road bike.

I got rid of the Flat bar and upgraded to full carbon Colnago as I was doin to many K's and wanted to join the bunch rides.

Have rebuilt the old Dodsun mountain Bike and put 26 x 1.3 slicks on it. Use it for commuting to work etc. Absolutley indestructable machine.

Have never looked back......

artemidorus said:
Drop bars realistically become helpful for speed above 30km/h. You didn't get there.

Don't think I ever will at this (st)age - at least over 10 miles - think I missed that train!

A fast commuting tyre that doesn't cut like the pro race2 or evo corsa cx would have to be the GP4000S 23C. Great traction, excellent for commuting - not as 'fast' as the other two but fast enough :).

JeremyP said:
A fast commuting tyre that doesn't cut like the pro race2 or evo corsa cx would have to be the GP4000S 23C. Great traction, excellent for commuting - not as 'fast' as the other two but fast enough :).
I'm not convinced that the GP4000 is any better than the ProRace - I've got a $10 note holding my tube inside a gash on one of my mine.

artemidorus said:
I'm not convinced that the GP4000 is any better than the ProRace - I've got a $10 note holding my tube inside a gash on one of my mine.
Are you referring to the GP4000 or GP4000S?