Making money on your commute to work

solardave

Sep 7, 2011
One of the pleasant things in my experience this summer commuting to work on my bicycle has been finding loose change and returnable soda/beer cans. One week I found $1.50 in quarters. So, not only am I saving money by not putting fuel in my car, I'm "making money" by riding my bike to work.

So, what have you found of value on your commute? Has anyone kept a record of how much they've found this year so far?

This week I'm $.60 richer. Found 3 cans last night on the way home from work and 3 cans on this morning's commute. Wo hooo!

So, Am I the only "frugal biker" around here. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif This week I found $1.43.

Uhm, I don't think most people are looking for money when they ride but are instead looking down the road or are going to fast to sacrifice road awareness to find coins.

My work actually pays me $20 a month if I ride to work at least half the days of the month. So I have to fill out a log, have my supervisor and HR sign it at the end of the year and I get a check in the mail for 240 wing wams. Since I don't own a car and ride every day, I get the full amount. Now THAT is getting paid to ride to work. I do have to provide receipts along with my bike log showing that I've spent money on my bike over the year. I think it actually have to be the amount they give me in maintenance. Not sure about that one.

Originally Posted by Beersk .

My work actually pays me $20 a month if I ride to work at least half the days of the month. So I have to fill out a log, have my supervisor and HR sign it at the end of the year and I get a check in the mail for 240 wing wams. Since I don't own a car and ride every day, I get the full amount. Now THAT is getting paid to ride to work. I do have to provide receipts along with my bike log showing that I've spent money on my bike over the year. I think it actually have to be the amount they give me in maintenance. Not sure about that one.
This something that a lot employers could be doing and would benefit from.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Uhm, I don't think most people are looking for money when they ride but are instead looking down the road or are going to fast to sacrifice road awareness to find coins.

Very true. Point well taken. As with most activities that involve an element of danger, you must be "smart" about your riding and the environment you are riding in. I live in Michigan which charges a $.10 deposit on all soda and beer cans/bottles to help curb littering. These are easy to spot along the road. My commute also takes me through a small park, which is where I usually find a couple of cans or bottles each week. So, yes, don't sacrifice road awareness to find a penny or dime. Ride smart.

Originally Posted by alienator .

This something that a lot employers could be doing and would benefit from.

Yea, I talked to my boss and he wasn't too interested in providing this benefit. Bummer. I believe you are supposed to spend all $20 on bike parts and maintenance. I could be wrong though.

It would be the rare employer who sets up a program that encourages employees to bike to work (or for that matter take the bus). It be impressive if local governments, state governments , or even the Feds passed legislation to encourage employers to have such programs, but given the difficulty of getting the Fed to not only pass transportation legislation that encourages mass and alternative transportation modes, it's highly unlikely we'll ever see such programs. Hell, you can't even get any governments in the US to agree that alternative energy sources might be necessary, this despite the fact that oil is a finite resource that will be gone within just a few generations.

Employers today are more concerned about liability than health. Cycling can be considered somewhat dangerous. If they are encouraging their workers to commute on their bikes and they get maimed or killed a lawsuit surely will follow.

Originally Posted by solardave .

Yea, I talked to my boss and he wasn't too interested in providing this benefit. Bummer. I believe you are supposed to spend all $20 on bike parts and maintenance. I could be wrong though.
That's why I'm to provide receipts of my purchases and maintenance over the year. It had to add up to that amount per month, I believe. Shouldn't have a problem reaching that.