Making Progress, but more questions now

Mad-One

Jul 16, 2006
So this morning was the 3rd time out on my new road bike. First time out this past Sunday, 20 miles took 1 hr 18 mins with a 15.8 average, next time out on Wed I forget to reset the computer and finished it in 1 hr 10 mins average was boosted to 16.4 or thereabouts and today I did the same 20 mile loop in 1 hr and 6 mins with an average of 17.7. I feel much better than the first time out by a long shot and was planning on sticking with this distance for 2 more weeks or see if I can make it in 1 hr flat before moving on to 25 miles every other day.

Should I stick with that plan or take a few slower rides and go for 30 miles just to increase distance? or a mix of both more intensity and distance?

Thanks

Kinda depends on what training goals you have, if any. Personally, I'd work on lengthening my rides to fill up my available time, because I like to ride. Once your available ride time is filled up, then work on going faster.

If this is really only your third ride, then it's a little early for a structured training plan. Play around, get used to riding, see what your body can handle, and make sure the bike's adjusted properly before trying to settle on a plan.

I'd personally vary your route (which would probably vary mileage as well) just because riding the same route gets quite boring very quickly.