Making sauerkraut tonight

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Zxcvbob, Mar 17, 2004.

  1. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Cabbage was on sale for 15¢ per pound, and I bought 5 huge heads; about 4.5
    pounds each. That is the cheapest I've seen cabbage in about 5 or 10
    years. I cut up 2 heads and Wife says it's stinking up the house (just
    cutting it, not cooking it.) I'll finish tomorrow when she's not home, but
    I have 3 half-gallon jars ready to go in the basement. I figured out that
    a half-gallon jar will hold about 1 kilogram of thinly sliced cabbage if
    you really cram in it there. And a tablespoon of pickling salt is about 20
    grams. So after the first jar, I don't have to weigh anything because
    that's the right 50:1 ratio.

    Pack the jars with as much sliced cabbage as you can get in
    it, add 1 tablespoon of salt, fill slowly with simmering
    water (dissolves the salt and it displaces the trapped air),
    cap the jars, and store for a month or so in a cool place
    where it's OK if they leak. Use your nastiest rusty rings
    because the salt that leaks out will ruin them.

    I've never used half-gallon canning jars before, I usually
    use quarts. I also am trying plastic 1-pieces lids instead
    of metal 2-pieces canning lids.

    Best regards, Bob

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, zxcvbob
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Cabbage was on sale for 15¢ per pound, and I bought 5 huge
    > heads; about 4.5 pounds each. That is the cheapest I've
    > seen cabbage in about 5 or 10 years. I cut up 2 heads and
    > Wife says it's stinking up the house (just cutting it, not
    > cooking it.) I'll finish tomorrow when she's not home, but
    > I have 3 half-gallon jars ready to go in the basement. I
    > figured out that a half-gallon jar will hold about 1
    > kilogram of thinly sliced cabbage if you really cram in it
    > there. And a tablespoon of pickling salt is about 20
    > grams. So after the first jar, I don't have to weigh
    > anything because that's the right
    > 50:1 ratio.

    > Pack the jars with as much sliced cabbage as you can get
    > in it, add 1 tablespoon of salt, fill slowly with
    > simmering water (dissolves the salt and it displaces the
    > trapped air), cap the jars, and store for a month or so
    > in a cool place where it's OK if they leak. Use your
    > nastiest rusty rings because the salt that leaks out will
    > ruin them.
    >
    > I've never used half-gallon canning jars before, I usually
    > use quarts. I also am trying plastic 1-pieces lids instead
    > of metal 2-pieces canning
    > lids.
    >
    > Best regards, Bob

    Hmmm, you're tempting me to try it, Bob. Lord knows I've got
    the half gallon jars for it.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-13-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got

  3. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >Melba's Jammin' writes:
    >
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> Cabbage was on sale for 15¢ per pound, and I bought 5
    >> huge heads; about 4.5 pounds each. That is the cheapest
    >> I've seen cabbage in about 5 or 10 years. I cut up 2
    >> heads and Wife says it's stinking up the house (just
    >> cutting it, not cooking it.) I'll finish tomorrow when
    >> she's not home, but I have 3 half-gallon jars ready to go
    >> in the basement. I figured out that a half-gallon jar
    >> will hold about 1 kilogram of thinly sliced cabbage if
    >> you really cram in it there. And a tablespoon of pickling
    >> salt is about 20 grams. So after the first jar, I don't
    >> have to weigh anything because that's the right
    >> 50:1 ratio.
    >
    >> Pack the jars with as much sliced cabbage as you can get
    >> in it, add 1 tablespoon of salt, fill slowly with
    >> simmering water (dissolves the salt and it displaces the
    >> trapped air), cap the jars, and store for a month or so
    >> in a cool place where it's OK if they leak. Use your
    >> nastiest rusty rings because the salt that leaks out will
    >> ruin them.
    >>
    >> I've never used half-gallon canning jars before, I
    >> usually use quarts. I also am trying plastic 1-pieces
    >> lids instead of metal 2-pieces canning
    >> lids.
    >>
    >> Best regards, Bob
    >
    >Hmmm, you're tempting me to try it, Bob. Lord knows I've
    >got the half gallon jars for it.

    Methinks you need to first do some research, that's not how
    to make sauerkraut... that will make a big stinkin' mess.
    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  4. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    PENMART01 wrote:
    >>Melba's Jammin' writes:
    >>
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Cabbage was on sale for 15¢ per pound, and I bought 5
    >>>huge heads; about 4.5 pounds each. That is the cheapest
    >>>I've seen cabbage in about 5 or 10 years. I cut up 2
    >>>heads and Wife says it's stinking up the house (just
    >>>cutting it, not cooking it.) I'll finish tomorrow when
    >>>she's not home, but I have 3 half-gallon jars ready to go
    >>>in the basement. I figured out that a half-gallon jar
    >>>will hold about 1 kilogram of thinly sliced cabbage if
    >>>you really cram in it there. And a tablespoon of pickling
    >>>salt is about 20 grams. So after the first jar, I don't
    >>>have to weigh anything because that's the right
    >>>50:1 ratio.
    >>
    >>>Pack the jars with as much sliced cabbage as you can get
    >>>in it, add 1 tablespoon of salt, fill slowly with
    >>>simmering water (dissolves the salt and it displaces the
    >>>trapped air), cap the jars, and store for a month or so
    >>>in a cool place where it's OK if they leak. Use your
    >>>nastiest rusty rings because the salt that leaks out will
    >>>ruin them.
    >>>
    >>>I've never used half-gallon canning jars before, I
    >>>usually use quarts. I also am trying plastic 1-pieces
    >>>lids instead of metal 2-pieces canning
    >>>lids.
    >>>
    >>>Best regards, Bob
    >>
    >>Hmmm, you're tempting me to try it, Bob. Lord knows I've
    >>got the half gallon jars for it.
    >

    > Methinks you need to first do some research, that's
    > not how to make sauerkraut... that will make a big
    > stinkin' mess.

    A big stinking mess if you eat too much of it at once. Don't
    ask me how I know this...

    The only thing I don't know is if the added water increases
    the salt requirement. I've made sauerkraut like this many
    times in quart jars and it comes out perfect -- but I need
    to check my notes and see exactly how much salt per jar I
    used (I think it was 2 tsp), and weight the contents of
    cabbage that I can cram into a quart jar. 50:1 is the
    classic ratio of cabbage to salt for making sauerkraut.

    Best regards, Bob