Making shoes last

Olasnah

Aug 6, 2004
I've got some Shimano 151's, just got them this weekend in fact. They come with built in toe and heel tabs, but they are not replaceable. They scratch very easily though, and I am very concerned about these things wearing out after just one season of riding. The cleats themselves are also wearing out very rapidly. (will get some with rubber tabs in a week or so). I come to almost a complete stop when I unclip, so when I hit the ground with my shoes, I am not doing anything that should wear out the tabs aside from unavoidable contact between the shoe and the ground. I am thinking that I should be finding a patch of grass instead of concrete to stop on, but that isn't always possible.

Are there stick on tabs or something that would prevent the built-in ones from wearing so much?

"Are there stick on tabs or something that would prevent the built-in ones from wearing so much?"

Glue, an old tire and a knife. I reckon you could fashion something. Might not be the prettiest, but heck it's on the bottom of your shoes.

capwater said:
"Are there stick on tabs or something that would prevent the built-in ones from wearing so much?"

Glue, an old tire and a knife. I reckon you could fashion something. Might not be the prettiest, but heck it's on the bottom of your shoes.

Or if you want something prettier go to your local shoe repair place and get them to put some fancy rubber bits on, cost me $10 last time I did mine.

Olasnah said:
I've got some Shimano 151's, just got them this weekend in fact. They come with built in toe and heel tabs, but they are not replaceable. They scratch very easily though, and I am very concerned about these things wearing out after just one season of riding. The cleats themselves are also wearing out very rapidly. (will get some with rubber tabs in a week or so). I come to almost a complete stop when I unclip, so when I hit the ground with my shoes, I am not doing anything that should wear out the tabs aside from unavoidable contact between the shoe and the ground. I am thinking that I should be finding a patch of grass instead of concrete to stop on, but that isn't always possible.

Are there stick on tabs or something that would prevent the built-in ones from wearing so much?

a product called shoo-goo will do the trick

Try Sidis. The pads on the bottom (as well as all of the other bits)are replaceable.