Making stem shifters safer, any hints?

xxamr_corpxx

Mar 16, 2006
Is there a cheap way of making the stem shifters on my Raleigh Pursuit less "pointy" and safer without spending too much?

I've thought about slicing the shifting levers in half to reduce the length and then reinstalling them - any potential problems with this?

xxamr_corpxx said:
Is there a cheap way of making the stem shifters on my Raleigh Pursuit less "pointy" and safer without spending too much?

I've thought about slicing the shifting levers in half to reduce the length and then reinstalling them - any potential problems with this?

Get some bolt on shifter bosses and relo them to your downtube.

xxamr_corpxx said:
Yes, they will be much more difficult to use because you will be losing leverage.

Short of relocating them, slip a short piece of pipe insulation over each lever. It will be ugly, but effective.

Scotty_Dog said:
Yes, they will be much more difficult to use because you will be losing leverage.

Short of relocating them, slip a short piece of pipe insulation over each lever. It will be ugly, but effective.
A couple champagne corks might look better, but I would still move them.

I think you should sharpen them and serrate the edges. Live life dangerously.