Making the windtrainer more fun

xxamr_corpxx

Mar 16, 2006
Any ideas on what I could do? Music worked for the first week but it doesn't seem to cut it anymore.

xxamr_corpxx said:
Any ideas on what I could do? Music worked for the first week but it doesn't seem to cut it anymore.
============================================================
Sitting it in front of the TV and watching reruns of cycle races?
Getting a Compu trainer with handle bar tuning stand and racing against other people on line too?
There is a book/magazine stand that can be bought(or made) for the handle bars - read while you ride - use a sweatband/hat to keep the drips off it!
Back to the radio/CDs - that's what I do:)

i used to play playstation2 while i pedal. or... catch up on some tv, books, magazine.... but i do those things when i do low-intensity workouts.

xxamr_corpxx said:
Any ideas on what I could do?
Is this for competition, or general fitness?

1) Intervals -- always intervals. The tempo changes help keep things interesting.
2) Music -- loud enough to drown out background noises.
3) Mentally stay in the game -- I like to think about how much pain I'm putting my imaginary competitors through, how much I'm going to put my real competitors through, or just see how much I can put myself through.
4) www.cycling.tv in a pinch

Anything that's too unrelated to cycling just detracts from my focus in #3, above. I found that distractions like TV, magazines, etc. just made things worse, whereas visualizing myself working through a race makes the ride quicker and more effective.

Bigbananabike said:
============================================================
Sitting it in front of the TV and watching reruns of cycle races?
Getting a Compu trainer with handle bar tuning stand and racing against other people on line too?
There is a book/magazine stand that can be bought(or made) for the handle bars - read while you ride - use a sweatband/hat to keep the drips off it!
Back to the radio/CDs - that's what I do:)
I was also looking at getting a computrainer and have come across some people that have used ones to get rid of. Has there been any upgrades to the newer versions since the ones from a few years ago? Or would getting one that was new in 2002 or 2003 be the same modes as the ones sold today? Thanks.

xxamr_corpxx said:
Forget the distractions and concentrate on new and different workouts. I like to do lots of varied intervals of load and cadence, usually in 5 or 10 minute blocks.

Yesterday I did a spin workout. Starting at 95 cadence and light load, just keep raising the cadence one rpm every minute. After 30 minutes was up to 125 rpm and ready for the warm-down.