Male Judo competitor seeks bike for Bi & Triathlons, 56cm

brianjudo

Mar 5, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I am a national Judo competitor looking to get into road and triathlon competitions. I was a big runner but due to my concern about knee injuries and desire to still maintain strong cardio, I've been recommended to switch to biking and swimming. This will help me stay in shape and stay within my weight bracket. I am on a $500 budget to find a great bike and was hoping for some advice!

Many have been telling me to look into a TREK Madone, in addition saying any one in the past 10 years or so would be competitive enough for the Triathlons I am looking to enter this year. I also realize there are many different versions of this bike and I've heard an all-carbon bike is lightest, therefore also fastest.

I am 6'0 and 178lbs, have a 36' inseam and don't know bike dimensions well but have also heard a 56cm is ideal for me. I could use all the advice you can offer, particularly on which bike you'd all recommend and where to search on my budget. I live in East Harlem NYC and I'm hoping I can find a good deal that doesn't require paying more in shipping than what the bike is worth! All advice is appreciated!!

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Brian