Male Saddle Problem?

Jcyclist

Oct 14, 2006
Right now i am using a selle italia gel flow. and i cant figure out the problem. When i sit in the saddle my testicle gets shoved up and causes dicomfort. and i cant decide if its the seat or the shorts. Do i need to lower my seat, get new shorts, or get a new saddle?

First off, the best saddle and the best shorts will still make your junk hurt if the aforementioned saddle isn't adjusted properly. You have height, fore/aft alignment and angle. Nobody is going to be able to give you an answer without seing your bike setup and how you align whilest on the saddle..

Can't say for sure but google "bike fit" and you'll find a schload of info out there.

FWIW, I have the Selle Italia Flite Gel on two of my bikes and it is a very good saddle, quite comfortable. Most likely that wouldn't be my first guess at the problem, again target alignment as the culprit.

Jcyclist said:
Right now i am using a selle italia gel flow. and i cant figure out the problem. When i sit in the saddle my testicle gets shoved up and causes dicomfort. and i cant decide if its the seat or the shorts. Do i need to lower my seat, get new shorts, or get a new saddle?

If the saddle is positioned correctly it could well be the shorts. I have a pair of bibs that do the same thing. Start with the fit and saddle placement.

i think it is my shorts i have a 33 inch inseam and i am wearing a small. i only wirgh but 130 though

Jcyclist said:
i think it is my shorts i have a 33 inch inseam and i am wearing a small. i only wirgh but 130 though

They are shorts, not longs. Who gives a rip how long your leg is? I'm 170 wearing mediums so small is about right for a 130 pounder. Start with the saddle position.

Jcyclist said:
Cut'em off.

You get comfort and weight savings.
Then apply for a med. exemption and get Testosterone shots.

vadiver said:
Cut'em off.

You get comfort and weight savings.
Then apply for a med. exemption and get Testosterone shots.
Yep that will solve the problem :eek: . But if you do not want to go that far make sure your saddle is adjusted right. I have the same saddle and I have not had any problems.

Just put 1.5 hours on the Toupe Team on the trainer. Too early to tell, but it fits completely different than an Arione which is kind of cool and a little amazing how different saddles can be. Initial opinion is that does eliminate pressure, but I will need to see how it feels on 2 to 3 hour rides on the trainer/road. I did ride easy whihc is always harder than hammering, at least for me.

Jcyclist said:
Well I would make sure you adjust you jewels so that your not sitting on them!
;)

rayhuang said:
Just put 1.5 hours on the Toupe Team on the trainer. Initial opinion is that does eliminate pressure, but I will need to see how it feels on 2 to 3 hour rides on the trainer/road.

Just did a four hour team ride yesterday on the Toupe and it was mostly fine. Not totally plush, but we were doing some hard tempo riding, so my position may not have been the best. OTOH, I think I would have been crying uncle on my old saddle (Avocet O2 Air Racing). Give the Toupe a try, especially if your LBS has a loaner program. I was amazed that a saddle with that little cushioning could have been so comfortable.

I also got a Specialized Avatar for my trainer bike and have found it to be way more comfortable than my old saddle as well.

typ993 said:
Just did a four hour team ride yesterday on the Toupe and it was mostly fine. Not totally plush, but we were doing some hard tempo riding, so my position may not have been the best. OTOH, I think I would have been crying uncle on my old saddle (Avocet O2 Air Racing). Give the Toupe a try, especially if your LBS has a loaner program. I was amazed that a saddle with that little cushioning could have been so comfortable.

I also got a Specialized Avatar for my trainer bike and have found it to be way more comfortable than my old saddle as well.
Yeah-45 minute tempo on a trainer or on the road is the real test of a saddle (sit bones and numbness). I rode a further 2 hours on the Toupe on the trainer and I agree-not plush-minimalist in the padding department, but I feel like its going to work, but I thought the Arione was the bomb at first too. I do think they have something with the Body Geometry, at least for me. I also have lost a lot of weight in the last few months so I might just be getting used to less fat between my sitbones and the seats shell.