Mammogram- how much radiation ?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Anita, Apr 22, 2004.

  1. Anita

    Anita Guest

    Hello all, I just got back from my RAI treatment- I got 150
    mci for my papillary thyroid cancer and sure enough the post-
    therapy scan showed uptake in the same area as my PET/CT (I
    had to bite my tongue and say I told you so - to the urgeon
    when will they start listenin to me ?!) Anyway it was pretty
    miserable being alone and scared but I am getting back up.

    I found something very disconcerting - my left breast has
    grown slightly bigger and it pains close to my armpits, on
    examining it feels granular 'like shot' my doctor said. I
    did not know what that meant. anyway I am supposed to go get
    a mammogram as she does not want to take any chances with so
    much shit happening. Now the million dollar question: I just
    had my RAI of 150 mci about 20 days ago, can I have a
    mammpgram so soon ?

    1. Will the RAI treatment in anyway compromise or affect the
    sensitivity/specificity of the mammogram ?

    2. Will a mammogram give my body another massive dose of
    radiation which I can ill afford....

    Jan 2003- contrast CT Jun 2003- Pertechnatate scan Nov 2003-
    Chest Xray Nov 2003- contrast CT Nov 2003- chest Xray-
    preoperation Nov 2003- chest Xray post operation Dec 2003-
    some kind of thing to check for pulmonary embolism VP ?
    Dont know Jan 2003- PET/CT Mar 2003- 2 mci I-123 Mar 2003-
    150 mci I-131

    Tags:

  2. Steph

    Steph Guest

    "anita" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello all, I just got back from my RAI treatment- I got
    > 150 mci for my papillary thyroid cancer and sure enough
    > the post-therapy scan showed uptake in the same area as my
    > PET/CT (I had to bite my tongue and say I told you so - to
    > the urgeon when will they start listenin to me ?!) Anyway
    > it was pretty miserable being alone and scared but I am
    > getting back up.
    >
    > I found something very disconcerting - my left breast has
    > grown slightly bigger and it pains close to my armpits, on
    > examining it feels granular 'like shot' my doctor said. I
    > did not know what that meant. anyway I am supposed to go
    > get a mammogram as she does not want to take any chances
    > with so much shit happening. Now the million dollar
    > question: I just had my RAI of 150 mci about 20 days ago,
    > can I have a mammpgram so soon ?

    Sure

    > 1. Will the RAI treatment in anyway compromise or affect
    > the sensitivity/specificity of the mammogram ?

    No

    > 2. Will a mammogram give my body another massive dose of
    > radiation which I can ill afford....

    You haven't had a "massive dose" and a mammogram will only
    give a small dose to the breast