Man, do I love racism.

On 1 Sep 2005 16:04:02 -0700, "Scott" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>How do you know that AFP hasn't also used the term 'finding' in
>reference to Blacks? If they have, then your thesis falls to ****,
>er... I mean pieces.

searching the AFP, Reuters and AP photos through Yahoo news with the
key word "finding" turns up not of THOSE references.

If you find one, please let me know.

In article <W9JRe.3009$Aw1.294@trndny02>,
Mark & Steven Bornfeld <[email protected]>
wrote:

> IMKen wrote:
>
> > Why not page Jessie or Sharpton? Where are they?
> >
> > ken

> I must have missed their posts.
> I kinda like Al. His daughter goes to Poly Prep in Brooklyn--by all
> evidence a really sweet kid.

Here's your global warming. To this day Sharpton defends
his actions in the Tawana Brawley affair.

--
Michael Press

So what you're saying is you experienced racism as well. In what was
that a response to? Anything at all? Or you just think that the local
kids were out for a good time? If this is a true story that is. I've
heard enough **** out of you over the last few years that I've been
lurking and responding in here to be able to say that 99 times out of
100, you're full of ****, and I don't think too many people who have
been around here would totally disagree with that. Do you?

Point taken. I did assume what you had experienced and others. I do
know a lot of ****, just don't know about your ****. And as mentioned
above, just about anything you say is suspect to me. And just about
everyone else.

Let's see, hatred against Clarence Thomas. Umm, there are a lot of
people who don't like him because of his bad interpretation of the
Constitution. And yet, he's so hated he made it to highest court in
the land to sit on the bench for the remainder of his life (if he
chooses to do so). Yeah, there must be a lot of people out to get
him.

Condoleeza Rice is hated? She's hated because she's a Bush lackey,
and an idiot in my opinion. This has nothing to do with her being
black, or a woman. I don't like her politics. She's a "yes woman" to
the Bush administration, and really not very good at her job.

Colin Powell. I have actually seen nothing BUT respect for this man
for the most part from both sides of the equation, so I don't know
what you're talking about here. I know many a left wing liberal who
would vote for Powell in a presidential election because honestly, we
trust the man. He's lead many a man and woman into battle over the
years, and he's a damn fine American in my book.

Dr. Rod Paige... I don't even know enough about him to commet.

So tell me some more "stories" about your youth and how you were
allegedly lynched... Man, I have never heard such ******** in my
life.

Tom

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:43:40 -0400, Jet<[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >>Its pretty clear that most of the police on the ground, relatively
> >>speaking, are trying very hard to differentiate between people taking
> >>essentials and people stealing just to steal.

> >How did you find this out?
> >

> Six or seven different brief interviews. It could come from HQ, but it
> seems to be just a hard dose of reality that they are seeing hours on
> end.
> >>They're not in a good
> >>place, even before the latter starting shooting at them. I'm seeing a
> >>lot of retirements right after thins return to normal.
> >>
> >>OTOH, current speculation seems to be about how large New Orleans will
> >>be after everything settles.

> >Not following you; do you mean a smaller city, like Key West?

> The extreme views in the (I think) three articles that followed the
> same idea is that New Orleans may remain at about 250,000 and (I guess
> the extreme position) even decline from that because that size won't
> support some of those that return.
>
> OTOH, there were some that said that river traffic will require a city
> in that immediate area and there will be a large city there
> regardless. IOW, the reason there is a danger from a storm like this
> is exactly why the city of that size was there in the first place.
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

Hastert seems to think we shouldn't be wasting federal funds to
rebuild it. So if he has his way it will be a lot smaller...What a
jackass! Definitely gets this years foot in mouth award. Listening to
him trying to spin this now is pretty pathetic. Next he's going to
propose evacuating all of Florida and most of the piedmont, California,
Alaska, any place that could be threatened by wildfires, any city on a
major river, everything below dams etc...
Bill C

Bill C wrote:
> Hastert seems to think we shouldn't be wasting federal funds to
> rebuild it. So if he has his way it will be a lot smaller...What a
> jackass! Definitely gets this years foot in mouth award. Listening to
> him trying to spin this now is pretty pathetic. Next he's going to
> propose evacuating all of Florida and most of the piedmont, California,
> Alaska, any place that could be threatened by wildfires, any city on a
> major river, everything below dams etc...

He needn't worry about California, according to a knowledgable
individual it's citizens accept the responsibility.

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:59:30 -0400, D. Ferguson wrote:

> If you're white it's "finding" stuff.
> But if you're black....... LOOTER!!!!
>
> http://photos23.flickr.com/38725768_16c66eb58b.jpg

Photo Captions From Katrina Stir Debate

By JOCELYN NOVECK, Associated Press Writer

Friday, September 2, 2005

(09-02) 15:23 PDT NEW YORK, (AP) --

In one of the photos, a man wades through chest-deep waters with
a large black bag filled with items from a grocery store. In
another, two people wade through equally high waters, carrying
bread and soda.

They were just two out of hundreds of stunning images transmitted
Tuesday, the day after Katrina ravaged New Orleans. What has
drawn attention to these two photos, though, is their captions.

In the first, the young man, who is black, is described as having
"looted" the items. In the second, the pair, who are white or
light-skinned, are described as "finding" the items.

The photos were by two different photographers working for two
different news agencies, The Associated Press and AFP/Getty
Images. But they appeared together on Yahoo News, and they
sparked a flurry of blog entries, emails and calls contending the
captions were unfair to blacks.

"The pictures appear to be identical but one individual is
"looting" and the other is "finding" needed items!" one person
wrote the AP. "This is irresponsible journalism and fuels the
attitude that 'all' African-Americans are looters."

On Thursday, Yahoo withdrew the photo of the light-skinned pair
at the request of Agence France Presse, which distributes Getty's
U.S-produced photos internationally. In a note, Yahoo wrote it
"regrets that these photos and captions, viewed together, may
have suggested a racial bias on our part.

AFP said it withdrew the photo because it had been flooded with
time-consuming phone calls and emails, while already stretched
covering the enormous tragedy.

"It's safe to say that it was just causing us a lot of problems,"
said Bob Pearson, AFP's director of photography in the United
States.

The Associated Press said its policy was clear.

"When we see people go into businesses and come out with goods,
we call it looting," said Santiago Lyon, AP's director of
photography. "When we just see them carrying things down the
road, we call it carrying items."

Lyon said the photographer who took Tuesday's photo, Dave Martin,
had seen the man go into the store and take out the items.

As for the other photo, Getty said it stood by its caption and
its photographer, Chris Graythen, who says the subjects of his
photo were simply picking up items floating by in the dank
waters.

And Graythen, frustrated by the controversy, wrote an emotional
response on a photojournalism Web site, SportsShooter.com.

"These people were not ducking into a store and busting down
windows to get electronics," he wrote. "They picked up bread and
cokes that were floating in the water. They would have floated
away anyhow."

Yahoo said it believed the controversy was merely a result of the
juxtaposition of the two photos.

"We've explained that this was two separate news organizations,
two separate photographers and two separate occasions," said
Joanna Stevens, spokeswoman for Yahoo Inc. "Once people
understand that, they're no longer angry with us."

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 02:29:50 GMT, Paul_B <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:59:30 -0400, D. Ferguson wrote:
>
>> If you're white it's "finding" stuff.
>> But if you're black....... LOOTER!!!!
>>
>> http://photos23.flickr.com/38725768_16c66eb58b.jpg

>"We've explained that this was two separate news organizations,
>two separate photographers and two separate occasions," said
>Joanna Stevens, spokeswoman for Yahoo Inc. "Once people
>understand that, they're no longer angry with us."

Normal people won't be angry with them, but the race baiters, hate mongers and
demogogues will still spew their poison and lies.

Ron

Maybe this isn't racism, but it doesn't look good.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050903/ap_on_re_us/katrina_superdome_hk1

"At one point Friday, the evacuation was interrupted briefly when school
buses pulled up so some 700 guests and employees from the Hyatt Hotel
could move to the head of the evacuation line - much to the amazement of
those who had been crammed in the Superdome since last Sunday.
"How does this work? They (are) clean, they are dry, they get out ahead of
us?" exclaimed Howard Blue, 22, who tried to get in their line. The
National Guard blocked him as other guardsmen helped the well-dressed
guests with their luggage.

The 700 had been trapped in the hotel, near the Superdome, but conditions
were considerably cleaner, even without running water, than the unsanitary
crush inside the dome."

--

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/02/katrina.response/index.html

Bill C wrote:
> You've all seen
> me ***** about Rumsfeld and outsourcing the military, a huge part of
> the lack of response is that they've slashed MASH units, Field
> Kitchens, military 18 wheelers etc...for private contractors.

1. http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/3335685
"Halliburton hired for storm cleanup"

2.
http://leninology.blogspot.com/2005/09/politics-of-weather-3-shyness-of.html
"The evidence that hurricane-management was privatised and handed over to
IEM has been eradicated from the IEM website. It's almost as if someone
was trying to evade responsibility for incompetence that's resulted in the
deaths of thousands, or something."

Robert Chung wrote:
> Bill C wrote:
> > You've all seen
> > me ***** about Rumsfeld and outsourcing the military, a huge part of
> > the lack of response is that they've slashed MASH units, Field
> > Kitchens, military 18 wheelers etc...for private contractors.

> 1. http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/3335685
> "Halliburton hired for storm cleanup"
>
> 2.
> http://leninology.blogspot.com/2005/09/politics-of-weather-3-shyness-of.html
> "The evidence that hurricane-management was privatised and handed over to
> IEM has been eradicated from the IEM website. It's almost as if someone
> was trying to evade responsibility for incompetence that's resulted in the
> deaths of thousands, or something."

Quoted:
Bush said 4,000 active duty troops are already in the area and 7,000
more will arrive in the next 72 hours from the Army's 82nd Airborne
from Fort Bragg, N.C., 1st Cavalry Division from Fort Hood, Texas, and
the Marines' 1st and 2nd Expeditionary forces from Camp Pendleton,
Calif., and Camp Lejeune, N.C.

These units have been fried from roatations to Iraq and Afghanistan.
They are really hurting and strung out since they are among our best,
and therefore brutally overused.
Be looking for really ugly incidents to come soon from N.O. security.
These guys are already wired from a combat zone where death is
everywhere, have had next to no down time, this could gwet really ugly
real fast.
Too little, stretched too thin for too long, with deadly force, not a
good combination.
Bill C
Bill

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Bill C wrote:
>> You've all seen
>> me ***** about Rumsfeld and outsourcing the military, a huge part of
>> the lack of response is that they've slashed MASH units, Field
>> Kitchens, military 18 wheelers etc...for private contractors.

>1. http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/3335685
>"Halliburton hired for storm cleanup"

Hope somebody's really scrutinizing those invoices . . . THIS time.

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 14:57:38 GMT, RonSonic wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 02:29:50 GMT, Paul_B <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:59:30 -0400, D. Ferguson wrote:
>>
>>> If you're white it's "finding" stuff.
>>> But if you're black....... LOOTER!!!!
>>>
>>> http://photos23.flickr.com/38725768_16c66eb58b.jpg

>>"We've explained that this was two separate news organizations,
>>two separate photographers and two separate occasions," said
>>Joanna Stevens, spokeswoman for Yahoo Inc. "Once people
>>understand that, they're no longer angry with us."

> Normal people won't be angry with them, but the race baiters, hate mongers and
> demogogues will still spew their poison and lies.
>
> Ron

Problem is the accusations come from all sides. So now the editor
doesn't merely have to ask the question does this picture
represent a factual occurrence, he has to ask how it will be
received. He has to be mindful of the overall context - have all
his pics shown blacks as degenerate and whites as good (or
vice-versa). He'll end up using some sort of quota system to vet
his photos/editorial content.

And even then the next guy who uses his work, as Yahoo used
AFP's, might place it in questionable context. Or the offense
might be solely in the eyes of the viewer, who has seen too
one-sided a picture immediately before looking at the current
photo.

We've got a deep problem. The media deserves a lot of criticism,
but at some level their job is nigh unto impossible, at least
until attitudes change.

p.

In article <[email protected]>,
Neil Brooks <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Bill C wrote:
> >> You've all seen
> >> me ***** about Rumsfeld and outsourcing the military, a huge part of
> >> the lack of response is that they've slashed MASH units, Field
> >> Kitchens, military 18 wheelers etc...for private contractors.

> >1. http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/3335685
> >"Halliburton hired for storm cleanup"

> Hope somebody's really scrutinizing those invoices . . . THIS time.

I hope you're not holding your breath.

--
tanx,
Howard

Butter is love.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Neil Brooks wrote:
> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Bill C wrote:
> >> You've all seen
> >> me ***** about Rumsfeld and outsourcing the military, a huge part of
> >> the lack of response is that they've slashed MASH units, Field
> >> Kitchens, military 18 wheelers etc...for private contractors.

> >1. http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/3335685
> >"Halliburton hired for storm cleanup"

> Hope somebody's really scrutinizing those invoices . . . THIS time.

They were before and they fired her!
http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-1066776.php
Ask anyone here where I stand on our military, my wife is a proud 40%
disabled vet, and we've been a military family since '86 when I went
in, but this administration is the worst in our history.
Bill C

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 01:07:17 GMT, Paul_B <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 14:57:38 GMT, RonSonic wrote:

>>>"We've explained that this was two separate news organizations,
>>>two separate photographers and two separate occasions," said
>>>Joanna Stevens, spokeswoman for Yahoo Inc. "Once people
>>>understand that, they're no longer angry with us."

>> Normal people won't be angry with them, but the race baiters, hate mongers and
>> demogogues will still spew their poison and lies.
>>
>> Ron

>Problem is the accusations come from all sides. So now the editor
>doesn't merely have to ask the question does this picture
>represent a factual occurrence, he has to ask how it will be
>received. He has to be mindful of the overall context - have all
>his pics shown blacks as degenerate and whites as good (or
>vice-versa). He'll end up using some sort of quota system to vet
>his photos/editorial content.
>
>And even then the next guy who uses his work, as Yahoo used
>AFP's, might place it in questionable context. Or the offense
>might be solely in the eyes of the viewer, who has seen too
>one-sided a picture immediately before looking at the current
>photo.
>
>We've got a deep problem. The media deserves a lot of criticism,
>but at some level their job is nigh unto impossible, at least
>until attitudes change.
>
>p.

The link has changed now but Robert Chung put up link to an AFP photo
of a similar situation where it was a black person "looting". Same
news organization of the "finders" picture. Her excuse holds no water.

I don't envy the media in their job but it was clear that everyone
else was looting and this couple was "finding". It's not overt racism
but it certainly gives a look inside the perceptions of people's
actions based on their skin color.

I've noticed that AFP is now using "taking" instead of "looting" in
their photos of individuals carrying goods.

Bill C wrote:
> Neil Brooks wrote:

> > >1. http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/3335685
> > >"Halliburton hired for storm cleanup"

> > Hope somebody's really scrutinizing those invoices . . . THIS time.

> They were before and they fired her!
> http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-1066776.php
> Ask anyone here where I stand on our military, my wife is a proud 40%
> disabled vet, and we've been a military family since '86 when I went
> in, but this administration is the worst in our history.
> Bill C

And to stay on the racism topic:
http://eurweb.com/story.cfm?id=17123
Quoted:
An African American senior Army contracting officer who had criticized
a contract given to Halliburton had been subjected to a racist and
sexist work environment, her former supervisor, a retired general, said
in an affidavit.
Bill C

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 21:52:41 -0400, D. Ferguson wrote:

> The link has changed now but Robert Chung put up link to an AFP photo
> of a similar situation where it was a black person "looting". Same
> news organization of the "finders" picture. Her excuse holds no water.
>
> I don't envy the media in their job but it was clear that everyone
> else was looting and this couple was "finding". It's not overt racism
> but it certainly gives a look inside the perceptions of people's
> actions based on their skin color.
>
> I've noticed that AFP is now using "taking" instead of "looting" in
> their photos of individuals carrying goods.

Did you read the article? The AFP maintains that the white couple
in the pic had indeed found the goods floating in the water.

p.

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 02:50:29 GMT, Paul_B <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 21:52:41 -0400, D. Ferguson wrote:
>
>> The link has changed now but Robert Chung put up link to an AFP photo
>> of a similar situation where it was a black person "looting". Same
>> news organization of the "finders" picture. Her excuse holds no water.
>>
>> I don't envy the media in their job but it was clear that everyone
>> else was looting and this couple was "finding". It's not overt racism
>> but it certainly gives a look inside the perceptions of people's
>> actions based on their skin color.
>>
>> I've noticed that AFP is now using "taking" instead of "looting" in
>> their photos of individuals carrying goods.

>Did you read the article? The AFP maintains that the white couple
>in the pic had indeed found the goods floating in the water.
>
>p.

Did you read the caption? It says they found "bread and soda from a
local grocery store". If they just found the stuff floating around
aimlessly then how did they know it came from a local grocery store?

You'll have to sell that **** to someone else because I'm not buying
it.

Number one - I was lynched by a gang of black kids when I was in Jr.
High.
The rope broke and in retrospect I think that these guys who I grew up
with
were probably all high on mj.
why did you let them "lynch" you?
kinda unbelievable really, but why would someone make
a story like that up?

I don't understand what it was supposed to illustrate, you say they
would "execute" the
white kids, and there is a reason for that:
if white kids pretended to "lynch" a black kid it would be more
offensive because...well...white people have lynched
black people quite a bit in this story, right up into the late
1800's and later.
This is a bizarre thing to even be talking about, but when
people say there is little or no racism in the USA, they are in
denial.

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 23:33:43 -0400, D. Ferguson wrote:

> Did you read the caption? It says they found "bread and soda from a
> local grocery store". If they just found the stuff floating around
> aimlessly then how did they know it came from a local grocery store?
>
> You'll have to sell that **** to someone else because I'm not buying
> it.

Sorry pal, I'm not selling anything. The clear implication is
that the goods either floated free from a flooded store whose
front was broken open or from a looter's hands. Whether you
believe that or not is your business, but as I see it that's the
explanation for the photog's contention.