Management Bulls*it

"I have watched the core business of our company change, over the last 5 years, into a self-sustaining breeding ground for IT 'experts' and auditors, who have both parasitically smothered us. I seem to spend more time trying to get the IT'ers to make their useless, excessively paranoid and nonsensical network function, and responding to the continuously changing demands of auditors as they redefine responsibility of everyone except themselves, than I do carrying out my actual job."

50 years ago I worked as an outside representative for a firm of builders' merchants. Late one afternoon I walked into bedlam at the depot. A stock check had disclosed that we had one 24" long-arm pan junction too many, and one 24" long-arm pan bend too few. Shock-horror, not one, but two stock cards were out by one unit.

The world stopped. Shelves were scoured and tarpaulins drawn back, the tea-urn went cold. The end of the world was nigh. Then we found that a week or so previously, a lad on the trade counter had booked out a bend when he'd sold a junction (difference in cost was about 5/- (25 pence).

Up to then I'd thought the company existed to make money out of selling building materials. Then I knew that it existed in order to maintain an accurate set of stock cards.

Technology may change, people don't.

:eek: John :eek:

MountainPro said:
Cheers rule62, i intend to.

Yes, the job is a lot more challenging but at the moment we are concentrating on selling our house and buying a new one 200 miles away in Aberdeen.

There is international training opertunities available all the time and i am sure that i'll be down your neighbourhood at some point.

Can't wait....

Be careful Pro they may have an office in W. Virginia.

MountainPro said:
i already have a new job....start in Nov. Things are hushed coz i stil havent handed in my notice yet..

Good on yer mate, hope the new employ..... is just what you want.

I probably don't need to tell you that such stress is the biggest killer in the world today and, it isn't diagnosed as such, nor recognised for it's deadly consequenses.

Ellno#1

jhuskey said:
Be careful Pro they may have an office in W. Virginia.
never been to that part of the world but from what i have heard/seen on TV it sounds great...i like the great outdoors.

ellno#1 said:
Good on yer mate, hope the new employ..... is just what you want.

I probably don't need to tell you that such stress is the biggest killer in the world today and, it isn't diagnosed as such, nor recognised for it's deadly consequenses.

Ellno#1
its an engineering role with a large oil company, some offshore work is neccesary but its mainly an onshore maintenance role of advanced software controlled drilling equipment. I am really looking forward to it.

The basic training is 5 years and i already have a engineering degree and 12+ years experience as a technician. The oppertunities and pay (according to the employer) will be 'significant' after the training.

Its not an easy job and will require 110% of my time and there will be no time for me to log on to the internet while at work. I might get 5 mins in the evenings though at home to keep you guys on yer toes...

MountainPro said:
its an engineering role with a large oil company, some offshore work is neccesary but its mainly an onshore maintenance role of advanced software controlled drilling equipment. I am really looking forward to it.

The basic training is 5 years and i already have a engineering degree and 12+ years experience as a technician. The oppertunities and pay (according to the employer) will be 'significant' after the training.

Its not an easy job and will require 110% of my time and there will be no time for me to log on to the internet while at work. I might get 5 mins in the evenings though at home to keep you guys on yer toes...

I have a nephew who is into that sort of stuff, he works 21 days straight and then has a week off, makes a squillion dollars, spends it like there's no tomorrow.
He's one of the blokes who does the drilling, grunt work on a platform, says the sunrises and sunsets are absolutely breathtaking.
The only drawback he always says is, no women on board.
The rest of the deal he says is, better than living at home, they get all mod/cons, whatever that means..??

MountainPro said:
never been to that part of the world but from what i have heard/seen on TV it sounds great...i like the great outdoors.

It is quite nice and mountainous and you could be close to Zapper.

jhuskey said:
It is quite nice and mountainous and you could be close to Zapper.
well in that case...i am sold!

i didnt know Zapper (or flappy as he has become known) lives in your area?

MountainPro said:
well in that case...i am sold!

i didnt know Zapper (or flappy as he has become known) lives in your area?

No ,he is well north of me 5-6 hours driving time.

jhuskey said:
No ,he is well north of me 5-6 hours driving time.
well after i have been to this place, everything else is just second best..

cold beer, dirty girls and bikini bullriding...guess where..

MountainPro said:
well after i have been to this place, everything else is just second best..

cold beer, dirty girls and bikini bullriding...guess where..

I like riding dirty girls in bikinis and drinking beer.Being a redneck ain't all bad.

jhuskey said:
Virginia and W.Va?
The areas you describe sir are indubably borderline yankee areas particularly parts of West Virginia. When you uh get closer to the fine area of Henrico county, the heart of dixie yee shall find....You were very vague in your previous descriptions but ye have narrowed said area to the tip of Virginia and West Virginia...Pardon me for taking liberties here but I do believe you are a little off in your ah assertation Sir....indubably so......... I seemed to have misplaced my mint julip..I do declare, I hope it hasn't fallen into enemy hands.........

Almost heaven, West Virginia Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River.

2FAST4U said:
The areas you describe sir are indubably borderline yankee areas particularly parts of West Virginia. When you uh get closer to the fine area of Henrico county, the heart of dixie yee shall find....You were very vague in your previous descriptions but ye have narrowed said area to the tip of Virginia and West Virginia...Pardon me for taking liberties here but I do believe you are a little off in your ah assertation Sir....indubably so......... I seemed to have misplaced my mint julip..I do declare, I hope it hasn't fallen into enemy hands.........

Carrera said:
Almost heaven, West Virginia Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River.
Life is old there, older than the trees
Younger than the mountains, blowing like a breeze....

Take it Husky....