Manchester Bike Rides

92jon

New Member
Dec 17, 2004
Hi,
Not been on the forum for a while, hope all is well.
We have been out on the bike most weekends and have had a couple of cracking rides, one up to Diggle on the Huddersfield canal, and the other up Affetside in Bury. A killer hill!
Anyway - no new routes added, but we have updated the news page, some good news about the old railwayline from Ashton to Oldham (via Park Bridge), it looks like this route is finally being converted in to an official path/cycle way. Good news.
http://www.bikerides.dsracing.me.uk/news.htm

Happy cycling
JON

Hi,

Hopefully out in Ashton soon to have a look at the route in a bit more detail.

Thanks
JON

92jon wrote:
> 92jon Wrote:
>> Hopefully out in Ashton soon to have a look at the route in a bit
>> more detail.

> Hi,
> Ashton pictures now on line.

On line? What happened for under-Lyne?

(The joke only really struck me because one of my employer's largest
suppliers insists on spelling the name of the town I work in as Newcastle
under Ly*n*e when it should be under Ly*m*e. The name of the supplier? Well,
let's just say they drive red vans (black and white cat optional, early in
the morning no longer true))

> They are converting the old railway line in to a cycle / path way.
> Worth a look if your in the area.

It's a good job you're doing here. It doesn't apply to me in the West
Midlands, but I appreciate it. I used to go out for walks along the
Fallowfield Loop when I lived in
Manchester, before it was tarmaced over. (The disused railway, not the
city.)

--
Ambrose

in message <[email protected]>, Ambrose Nankivell
('firstname+'n'@gmail.com') wrote:

> 92jon wrote:
>> 92jon Wrote:
>>> Hopefully out in Ashton soon to have a look at the route in a bit
>>> more detail.

>> Hi,
>> Ashton pictures now on line.

> On line? What happened for under-Lyne?
>
> (The joke only really struck me because one of my employer's largest
> suppliers insists on spelling the name of the town I work in as Newcastle
> under Ly*n*e when it should be under Ly*m*e.

perhaps you should under line their error for them?

Anagram: I'm soon broke.

Hi,
Thanks for pointing out that. Ashton-U-Lyne, thats better!

Ambrose - did you notice on our site, we covered the Fallowfield Loop, infact that was the reason why we started the site. We couldt find anything about local, safe, bike routes. I had know about the loop since I was a young en, and was always interested in it.
Anyway myself and my friend went for a look, and then we thought lets start a site. Here we are!

Simon - Your not in to Brisca Stock car racing?? There is a same named chap whos son races Brisca - number 92. Me and my friend both big Brisca fans. Just wondering if there is any link???

Thanks
JON

Hi,
Hopefully we will be cheching out the Fallowfield Loop soon - its close to where I live, but the last couple of runs have been via my friends up in Bury.
On Sunday we had a nice ride through the centre of Bury, then up towards Tottington. A lovely part of the world.
It was a bit windy, but well worth the ride.

Thanks
JON

92jon <[email protected]> of cyclingforums.com
wrote:

>Hi,
>Hopefully we will be cheching out the Fallowfield Loop soon - its close
>to where I live, but the last couple of runs have been via my friends up
>in Bury.
>On Sunday we had a nice ride through the centre of Bury, then up
>towards Tottington. A lovely part of the world.
>It was a bit windy, but well worth the ride.

I went along it on New Year's Day, getting thoroughly soaked in the process,
accompanied by Audrey, partner and somewhat fed up son (can't blame him in
that weather). Let me know what you find south of Debdale Park. There's a
bit of waste ground on the north/western side of the path which has a
temporary fence around it, made of wire panels on concrete bases. The side
of the fence adjacent to the path has been laid down horizontally onto the
path, leaving only a foot or two of path free. Was hard to even walk the
bike along, never mind ride.
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group

Hi Steph

I know what used to be on that the land you are talking about, however I dont know what they are planning to do with the site.

ThIts the site of the old Reddish traction depot. I got a few snaps of the land before they fenced it off:
http://bikerides.dsracing.me.uk/railway/redpot.htm

This was a busy site when it served (the now closed) Woodhead electric route.

The site was overgrown for years, (the actual depot closed around the mid 80s and was demolished mid 90s. However I got the pics last April when the site was being cleared.
Last time I went to the site the fence was up and variuos works were being carried out on the site, I assume housing - but this is just a guess.

I need to take a look at the site and get some pictures posted.

Thanks and happy cycling

JON

Was on the Fallowfield Loop today - lots of activity at Reddish Depot site, I think housing or similar will be built.
A large amount of hardcore has gone down, with tons more piled up ready to go somewhere.

A nice few touches on the loop, we noticed new signs up, new fences etc.

Had to laugh - we havent done the loop for a bit, in fact its that long they have had the chance to build flats at the end of the Sainsburys car park in Fallowfield!

JON