Manchester to Leeds Sponsored Cycle

bronsteinj

Jan 5, 2010
Hi!

I'm a student at Manchester Uni and am organising a sponsored cycle from Manchester to Leeds in April for a society. However my Dad said it may be too ambitious to cycle that distance. Could anyone please help me out?

Joe

It shouldn't be too hard to do.
Pick your route carefully or it will be quite hilly

That's what I thought but a lot of the society are certainly amateur cyclists; do you reckon we'd be better off doing a cycle in and around the Manchester area which is less hilly?

Manchester to Leeds is what 40 odd mile by car, will be longer on a bike. It should be doable for anyone who is of decent fitness and on a bike that isnt a shed I'd guess.

50-60 mile at a leisurelly pace on a full size bike, cant see it being too much for someone of half decent fitness. Its not like you are going for fast times or anything right. Even if it takes 6-8 hours, also if its in April the participants should train between now and then.

Coincidently, Im doing my postgrad at Manchester Uni, I couldnt find any cycling societies on the UMSU listing when I looked, so Ive been looking for other cycling groups around the area but I'd possibly be interested in taking part. Is it a cycling society or is it a different society wishing to do a charity cycle.

I currently own a BMX that I used to use to get from Rusholme to North campus, but since moving its become redundant, and its no good for doing distance so im planning on buying a new road bike soon and taking up riding as a relativelly serious hobby (thats why Ive signed up to the forum really). I want to cycle a 350 mile tour this summer and take part in regular 25 - 100 mile rides.

Wow that is a coincidence! It's for the Jewish Society, and it's still in the planning stages, but I'll keep you posted. We may be changing our plans to a more leisurely Fallowfield loop route though to get more society members joining in.

You've got the some flavour of the Peak District inbetween Manchester and Leeds. I'm not sure that having folks going up Saddleworth Moor, Holme Moss, Snake Pass, Blackstone Edge etc etc who are not hardcore cyclists would be something that constitutes fun for most folk...

... but fun for folk who get up 1in8 hills in 42x23.