Manchester Velodrome - Revolution 13

PDannyD

Guest
What a fantastic evening at the Manchester Velodrome! I thought track racing
would be boring but it was an evening of edge-of-the-seat sprint finishes
and tactics. I heartily recommend it.

There's some amazing power in those legs, even the young women. Chris Hoy
proved himself on more than one occasion but the 60-lap race near the end
had one rider making a 250m break bringing him right back into the bunch
again which guaranteed him his 1st place. Oddly, another rider helped pace
him back into the group - maybe favours were owed.

http://www.manchestervelodrome.com

I went to Revolution 10 last year - the highlight for me was the
Madison - very hard to keep up with what was going on (with 13 pairs of
riders on the track at once with only one rider of the pair in the race
at any one time, changing in and out with "handslings") but what a
spectacle. How the riders managed to avoid a pile-up I don't know, but
there were certainly some very close calls. Great entertainment!

Cheers
Bronzie

Bronzie wrote:

> I went to Revolution 10 last year - the highlight for me was the
> Madison - very hard to keep up with what was going on (with 13 pairs of
> riders on the track at once with only one rider of the pair in the race
> at any one time, changing in and out with "handslings") but what a
> spectacle. How the riders managed to avoid a pile-up I don't know, but
> there were certainly some very close calls. Great entertainment!

Then you would enjoy one of the continental Six-Days - which revolve
around the excitement of the Madison.
The atmosphere is amazing as the pros hurtle around the short track while
live music blares out, beers are supped, chips with mayo ae enjoyed, and
the cheers raise the roof.
I've been to several over the years, having first experienced one of the
old Skol 6 events as a rookie when London had its own 6-Day.
Ghent is the closest - just a short trip across the channel using
Eurostar.
http://www.sport.be/z6sdaagse/2006/nl/programma/

For sheer entertainment and spectacle, a 6-Day arguably even beats the
TdF.

John B

> Then you would enjoy one of the continental Six-Days

I know - I'd love to go to Ghent but it always seems to clash with
domestic duties :-(

Maybe next year?!? :-o

Bronzie wrote:
>> Then you would enjoy one of the continental Six-Days

> I know - I'd love to go to Ghent but it always seems to clash with
> domestic duties :-(
>
> Maybe next year?!? :-o

Anybody here going this year?

Dan Gregory wrote:
> Bronzie wrote:
>>> Then you would enjoy one of the continental Six-Days

>> I know - I'd love to go to Ghent but it always seems to clash with
>> domestic duties :-(
>>
>> Maybe next year?!? :-o
>>

> Anybody here going this year?

I am now considering it thanks to this thread (I live in Ramsgate only
metres from the ferry to Ostend). May be able to combine it with xmas
shopping for Mrs B...

2 of us are off to the Saturdays racing in Gent this year - 2006 -
Eurostar out Saturday morning, checking into the F1 in Gent, visit a
few quality bars and then off to the racing - may well catch a bar on
the way back at 2 am - many stay open till at least 3 pm - and its not
like in the UK where you wouldn't want to go anywhere that time of
night... we will have Bromptons so getting around should not be a
problem. Just hoping there isn't 3 inches of snow like last year. Snow,
cobbles and tram tracks dont go well with 16 inch wheels.

Roger