Mango Madness

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by HughMann, Nov 6, 2005.

  1. HughMann

    HughMann New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004
    You can always tell when its mango season up north. Apart from having to dodge fallen fruit on the road from overhanging trees (serious cyclist hazard) and the stink of fermenting mangoes on the ground, the Townsville ( north Qld) locals go totally weird.

    Cut off by a "female" attending the steering wheel of a taxi in Flinders St East. Caught her at the lights and she told me that "the road is for cars , get of the bloody road and get on the bike path" . I rang the Depot and made a formal complaint, name address etc. That was a week ago, nothing heard back so I bet next time I ring for a cab I will be whistling dixie.

    Next night on the Strand a white Magna zooms past in opposite direction, yob in the back yells some crap and launches a near full can of bundy n coke at me - just missed front wheel. Do another loop and some hill work in Cleverland Terrace and back along Strand to head for home. Just turn off into Howatt St near Jezzine Barracks and silvery Honda roars past, more garbled crap yelled and another near full can of bundy n coke launched at me, just misses top bar and knees - sticky crap every where and stink of rum.

    Friday night and running late, dont start ride till 2100 but its cooled down a bit. Anticipate crap so avoid Strand as the monthly markets are on. Ride up Palmer St, past Metropole pub and out towards level crossing and the reclaim. White Falcodore roars past, lots of yelling from all windows and another near full can of bundy n coke comes my way. Drop short and rattles off into gutter. This is right outside South Tsv Police Stn but there is never any one there.

    So, its got me stuffed, either the locals are trying to coach me in riding, think I look thirsty or there oughta be a serious health warning put out about bundy n coke being OFF.

    Had a good ride this morning (Sunday)with the Childrens Cancer Ride bunch. Same ride as last week. Out to the Prison, Copper Refinery, Oonoomba, Railway Estate, Reclaim, Sth Tsv, Strand and then home. Ended up being 65km for me and average of 24kmh.

    Wonder what excitement this week will bring. At least we havent had any serious rain yet so cane toad dodgems hasnt started.

    Cheers
    Hugh

    Tags:

  2. alison_b

    alison_b New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2005
    the yobs have way too much $$$ if they can afford to throw full cans around like that! :rolleyes:

    Glad to hear none of them caused an injury though. Will they calm down when the weather breaks?

    cheers,
    ali

  3. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Yeah, hope they're don't start piffing cans of Dark n' Stormy either. What a terrible waste that would be. BTW, hope it's only the passengers imbibing, can you investigate that and follow up?!?

  4. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Next they'll be blaming you for spilling their drink!

  5. HughMann <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Do another loop and
    > some hill work in Cleverland Terrace and back along Strand to head for
    > home. Just turn off into Howatt St near Jezzine Barracks and silvery
    > Honda roars past, more garbled crap yelled and another near full can of
    > bundy n coke launched at me, just misses top bar and knees - sticky crap
    > every where and stink of rum.

    Probably just soldiers on their way home from grenade practice. Oh, the
    joys of Townsville. I was up there a few years ago meeting some of the
    people from the local Bicycle User Group. One woman was late to the
    meeting because some idiot near the barracks hurled a cup of urine all
    over her. Yukkk!

    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  6. Blanchy

    Blanchy Guest

    HughMann wrote:
    > You can always tell when its mango season up north. Apart from having
    > to dodge fallen fruit on the road from overhanging trees (serious
    > cyclist hazard) and the stink of fermenting mangoes on the ground, the
    > Townsville ( north Qld) locals go totally weird.
    >
    > Cut off by a "female" attending the steering wheel of a taxi in
    > Flinders St East. Caught her at the lights and she told me that "the
    > road is for cars , get of the bloody road and get on the bike path" .
    > I rang the Depot and made a formal complaint, name address etc. That
    > was a week ago, nothing heard back so I bet next time I ring for a cab
    > I will be whistling dixie.
    >
    > Next night on the Strand a white Magna zooms past in opposite
    > direction, yob in the back yells some crap and launches a near full can
    > of bundy n coke at me - just missed front wheel. Do another loop and
    > some hill work in Cleverland Terrace and back along Strand to head for
    > home. Just turn off into Howatt St near Jezzine Barracks and silvery
    > Honda roars past, more garbled crap yelled and another near full can of
    > bundy n coke launched at me, just misses top bar and knees - sticky crap
    > every where and stink of rum.
    >
    > Friday night and running late, dont start ride till 2100 but its cooled
    > down a bit. Anticipate crap so avoid Strand as the monthly markets are
    > on. Ride up Palmer St, past Metropole pub and out towards level
    > crossing and the reclaim. White Falcodore roars past, lots of yelling
    > from all windows and another near full can of bundy n coke comes my
    > way. Drop short and rattles off into gutter. This is right outside
    > South Tsv Police Stn but there is never any one there.
    >
    > So, its got me stuffed, either the locals are trying to coach me in
    > riding, think I look thirsty or there oughta be a serious health
    > warning put out about bundy n coke being OFF.
    >
    > Had a good ride this morning (Sunday)with the Childrens Cancer Ride
    > bunch. Same ride as last week. Out to the Prison, Copper Refinery,
    > Oonoomba, Railway Estate, Reclaim, Sth Tsv, Strand and then home.
    > Ended up being 65km for me and average of 24kmh.
    >
    > Wonder what excitement this week will bring. At least we havent had
    > any serious rain yet so cane toad dodgems hasnt started.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Hugh

    Sorry I couldn't make it on the Sunday I don't pick up my new Bike until
    late this arve. Sounds like you are having a ball dodging the UDL's
    maybe you should strap an esky to your back.
    -Blanchy

  7. HughMann

    HughMann New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004
    To answer everyone.
    Yes this stupid behaviour will slow down. Its a race between the start of uni holidays and the wet season.
    Have noticed that hoon behaviour drops within days of uni ending and starts again during "O week". Uni and Lavarack Bks are in same area so both usually cop blame regardless . I know that soldiers are not angels ( was one) but cant imagine why anyone would think that throwing urine was funny. Although, the thought had crossed my mind as to the contents of the cans being chucked around. Told myself that its a logistic imposibility in a car. A can is not big enough, and in a car - no - everyone knows that once started the stream cant be stopped when a bit of grog is involved.

    No drivers seen drinking - just yob mates, but its the drivers rego numbers that have been passed on to police.

    Agreed wayyy too much money

    " Next they'll be blaming you for spilling their drink! "
    Yep, and in todays Tsv Bulletin letters to ed. some interlect is banging on about bikes not paying rego BORING

    "Piffing" thats a new word to me but I get the idea. Not being much of a drinker NOW ( drank 4 mens lifetime ration 20 years ago)I am not familiar with "Dark n' Stormy" either. Suppose my age is showing.

    Cheers
    Hugh

  8. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    Sounds to me like it's a new Bundy and Coke add campaign. Can't wait to see
    you in the ads.

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying
    news:1h5nirf.14zaoe1i2grwgN%[email protected]