MANITOU 2005 NIXON PLATINUM

Mtnbiker

Guest
I was going to purchase the Nixon Platinum, but after reading a few
reviews on mtb review.com it seems that there are QA issues with this
fork. I tried google to find more info on this but did not find any
forums or reviews other then mtb review. Can anyone help. Does anyone
here have any experience with this fork. Thanks

"Mtnbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was going to purchase the Nixon Platinum, but after reading a few
> reviews on mtb review.com it seems that there are QA issues with this
> fork. I tried google to find more info on this but did not find any
> forums or reviews other then mtb review. Can anyone help. Does anyone
> here have any experience with this fork. Thanks

Yes - I have over 10 years experience with that POS - when it finally dies
(and hell knows I've been trying to kill it for the last 10 years), I'll get
something better that isn't a POS.

HTH!

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe wrote:
> "Mtnbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I was going to purchase the Nixon Platinum, but after reading a few
>> reviews on mtb review.com it seems that there are QA issues with this
>> fork. I tried google to find more info on this but did not find any
>> forums or reviews other then mtb review. Can anyone help. Does anyone
>> here have any experience with this fork. Thanks

> Yes - I have over 10 years experience with that POS - when it finally
> dies (and hell knows I've been trying to kill it for the last 10
> years), I'll get something better that isn't a POS.
>
> HTH!

Time-traveling again?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> Shaun aRe wrote:
> > "Mtnbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> I was going to purchase the Nixon Platinum, but after reading a

few
> >> reviews on mtb review.com it seems that there are QA issues with

this
> >> fork. I tried google to find more info on this but did not find

any
> >> forums or reviews other then mtb review. Can anyone help. Does

anyone
> >> here have any experience with this fork. Thanks

> > Yes - I have over 10 years experience with that POS - when it

finally
> > dies (and hell knows I've been trying to kill it for the last 10
> > years), I'll get something better that isn't a POS.
> >
> > HTH!

> Time-traveling again?

Nah, I think he was hitting the bong early today.

JD

"Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mtnbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I was going to purchase the Nixon Platinum, but after reading a few
>> reviews on mtb review.com it seems that there are QA issues with this
>> fork. I tried google to find more info on this but did not find any
>> forums or reviews other then mtb review. Can anyone help. Does anyone
>> here have any experience with this fork. Thanks

> Yes - I have over 10 years experience with that POS - when it finally dies
> (and hell knows I've been trying to kill it for the last 10 years), I'll
> get
> something better that isn't a POS.
>
> HTH!
>

> Shaun aRe

Come on. This is a very pricy fork and I do need to know as I have a chance
at getting one. If not I'll wait and get a Fox TALAS or Float. Maybe even
the Minute 2. Well is it any good?

Mtnbiker wrote:
> "Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"Mtnbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>I was going to purchase the Nixon Platinum, but after reading a few
>>>reviews on mtb review.com it seems that there are QA issues with this
>>>fork. I tried google to find more info on this but did not find any
>>>forums or reviews other then mtb review. Can anyone help. Does anyone
>>>here have any experience with this fork. Thanks

>>Yes - I have over 10 years experience with that POS - when it finally dies
>>(and hell knows I've been trying to kill it for the last 10 years), I'll
>>get
>>something better that isn't a POS.
>>
>>HTH!
>>

>>Shaun aRe
>>

> Come on. This is a very pricy fork and I do need to know as I have a chance
> at getting one. If not I'll wait and get a Fox TALAS or Float. Maybe even
> the Minute 2. Well is it any good?

Forget it. I cancelled the order for the fork. I heard the IT switch was
a major concern and I don't think I'll take the chance on "it".

Mtnbiker wrote:

>> Come on. This is a very pricy fork and I do need to know as I have a
>> chance at getting one. If not I'll wait and get a Fox TALAS or Float.
>> Maybe even the Minute 2. Well is it any good?
>>

> Forget it. I cancelled the order for the fork. I heard the IT switch was
> a major concern and I don't think I'll take the chance on "it".

My friend ordered one for his bike.

When the technician put the air in and just tried to compress it, it
blew up. Manitou says that it is a production problem and that they
could repair it in a couple of days.

Hey! they know the problem and still sell them like that waiting for the
consumer to have troubles? not cool!

My friend then ordered a Fox talas and should receive it soon.

Jean-Sylvain

Jean-Sylvain wrote:
> Mtnbiker wrote:
>

>>> Come on. This is a very pricy fork and I do need to know as I have a
>>> chance at getting one. If not I'll wait and get a Fox TALAS or Float.
>>> Maybe even the Minute 2. Well is it any good?
>>>

>> Forget it. I cancelled the order for the fork. I heard the IT switch
>> was a major concern and I don't think I'll take the chance on "it".

> My friend ordered one for his bike.
>
> When the technician put the air in and just tried to compress it, it
> blew up. Manitou says that it is a production problem and that they
> could repair it in a couple of days.
>
> Hey! they know the problem and still sell them like that waiting for the
> consumer to have troubles? not cool!
>
> My friend then ordered a Fox talas and should receive it soon.
>
> Jean-Sylvain

I thought so. I was right in not getting the Nixon. Dollar for dollar
the Fox TALAS is the best bet. Thanks.

WHO is it named after the dead president or Mojo
Nixon? Never had a Manitou . And don't like the uncommon disc brake
bolt pattern I'll stick with the 151 mm std.

[email protected] wrote:
> WHO is it named after the dead president or Mojo
> Nixon? Never had a Manitou . And don't like the uncommon disc brake
> bolt pattern I'll stick with the 151 mm std.

Good question. The fork is dead one way or the other.

Mtnbiker wrote:
> I was going to purchase the Nixon Platinum, but after reading a few
> reviews on mtb review.com it seems that there are QA issues with this
> fork. I tried google to find more info on this but did not find any
> forums or reviews other then mtb review. Can anyone help. Does anyone
> here have any experience with this fork. Thanks

I heard that everyone who uses that fork is missing 17 minutes from each
ride.

(****, kids today won't have /any/ clue, will they?)

Bill "not old enough to have voted in 1972, so there" S.

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Mtnbiker wrote:
>> I was going to purchase the Nixon Platinum, but after reading a few
>> reviews on mtb review.com it seems that there are QA issues with this
>> fork. I tried google to find more info on this but did not find any
>> forums or reviews other then mtb review. Can anyone help. Does anyone
>> here have any experience with this fork. Thanks

> I heard that everyone who uses that fork is missing 17 minutes from
> each ride.
>
> (****, kids today won't have /any/ clue, will they?)
>
> Bill "not old enough to have voted in 1972, so there" S.

You mean 17 Manitou Minute forks???
--
Phil, Kid-in-Training, but not quite that slow...

> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> > Shaun aRe wrote:
> > > "Mtnbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> few

> this

> any

> anyone
> > >
> > > Yes - I have over 10 years experience with that POS - when it

> finally
> > > dies (and hell knows I've been trying to kill it for the last 10
> > > years), I'll get something better that isn't a POS.
> > >
> > > HTH!

> > Time-traveling again?

> Nah, I think he was hitting the bong early today.
>
> JD

Strange then, that it's you two who's heads were down when that one flew
over, huh?

',;~}~

I mean, the whole post was loaded with blatant contradictions and 'sarcams'
FFS!

H - T - H!

',;~P'''

Shaun aRe

"Mtnbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> "Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Mtnbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> I was going to purchase the Nixon Platinum, but after reading a few
> >> reviews on mtb review.com it seems that there are QA issues with this
> >> fork. I tried google to find more info on this but did not find any
> >> forums or reviews other then mtb review. Can anyone help. Does anyone
> >> here have any experience with this fork. Thanks

> > Yes - I have over 10 years experience with that POS - when it finally

dies
> > (and hell knows I've been trying to kill it for the last 10 years), I'll
> > get
> > something better that isn't a POS.
> >
> > HTH!
> >

> > Shaun aRe
> >

> Come on. This is a very pricy fork and I do need to know as I have a

chance
> at getting one. If not I'll wait and get a Fox TALAS or Float. Maybe even
> the Minute 2. Well is it any good?

(Slightly) sorry, dOoOd - I was in a rather facetious mood, and well,
someone asking for (useful) experience, of a fork, that's not likely been
long out on the market, well it was just too tempting for someone as weak
willed as me ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

I have been using the thru-axle version of the simpler Nixon Elite for
a couple of months now. Its great. And Manitous disc brake mount is
great too, even if it is non IS standard.

Steve.

Chris Phillipo wrote:

>> Come on. This is a very pricy fork and I do need to know as I have a
>> chance at getting one. If not I'll wait and get a Fox TALAS or
>> Float. Maybe even the Minute 2. Well is it any good?
>>

> In almost all their model, both Manitou and Rock shox both still rely
> on the user to take the fork apart to lube it with magic elf paste
> rather than simply making a fork that can be filled with oil and
> constantly lubed while in use. Even if you go double the recommended
> service interval on a Bomber it's usually still clean inside.

Servi-what? Who gets their fork serviced... ever? ;)

Magic elf paste sounds like something at a magic elf rest stop... gonna keep
away from that, personally.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training