Manitou Axel Elite - Help please

::dom::

Feb 28, 2004
I just bought a bike with Manitou Axel Elite forks. They seem quite soft and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to adjust them.

Dominic Sansom said:
I just bought a bike with Manitou Axel Elite forks. They seem quite soft and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to adjust them.
What year is the bike? Unless I am mistaken, all the Axels are coil spring forks. You can order stiffer coil springs from your local bike shop.

Changing the spring out is not difficult at all.

Matt

MattLarson said:
What year is the bike? Unless I am mistaken, all the Axels are coil spring forks. You can order stiffer coil springs from your local bike shop.

Changing the spring out is not difficult at all.

Matt

The forks are on an 04 Specialized Rockhopper Comp.

There are no local Bike Shops in my country. I have to get everything from Australia. This is not a hugh problem but I just wanted to know if there are any adjustments I could do to lessen the softness.

Those forks are well known for being too soft even with the harder spring set unfortuanately, perhaps sell them or go back to where you bought the bike & see if the shop will do you a trade in deal on a different set.
Maybe putting a thicker oil in them would help?

Juba said:
Thicker oil won't do the trick, the oil only affects damping, not compression. And the semi-bath at the bottom of the fork legs does not really do anything other then lubricating.

A stiffer spring is what the original poster needs. Here is a link:

http://www.bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?ID=AP855241

Cheers,
Juba
There is also an extra-firm spring for us clydes, but it took some searching to find it.

The install is really easy, just need an allen set, a crescent wrench and some grease.

Matt