Manitou forks

angotja

May 6, 2004
I recently purchased a Gary Fisher Ziggurat hardtail. Great bike! It came with Manitou Skareb comp fork. After 1 week of riding (<75 mi), the thing blew out on me. I noticed gradual decline in stiffness, and the lockout started to fail after 4 days. After endless tinkering, I gave up and took it to my LBS. The tech rebuilt it, and was baffled by his inability to identify the problem.

The tech is sending the fork back to be replaced. I asserted that this is probably not the right fork for me, and that I am not comfortable riding this thing. See negative feedback @ http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2003_front_shocks/product_121933.shtml This is some scary stuff!! The tech agreed and suggested I call Manitou.

So I did. The customer service there seems excellent. The rep I spoke with was very accommodating and optimistic about getting me into the right product while getting credit for the new and insufficient product I am riding.

I am happy with the service level, but at this point it is all talk. Tomorrow, I go back to the shop and present them with the situation and news about Manitou's willingness to get me into the right product. We shall see if they follow through (I expect they will).

I will update as I have news. Incidentally, I wonder if anyone else out there has any applicable experience. Please let me know.

Update:

The resolution offered by Manitou is to upgrade to a Black Elite RTWD for minimal upgrade charge. The rep at Manitou says he will set me up with Xtra stiff springs for no additional fee.

This is an adequate solution to my problem. I am pleased with the level of service offered by Manitou. However, I have yet to ride the replacement fork, so the saga continues...

The new fork has been installed and ridden. I am very pleased with the performance. I feel Answer has satisfied me as a customer. Kudos to them for good customer care.

This fork has a much more solid feel than the Skareb Comp, and certainly fits me & my style better. Nice features, and looks good on the bike.