Manitou Skareb Platinum SPV

yash

Jul 22, 2003
Hello!

Have anyone ridden Manitou Skareb Platinum (with SPV damping) already?? If so, how's it ilke? If it does weigh 150gr more than Skareb Super and still cost bout 200$ more (in Poland) and there's no Lockout i guess there must be a good reason. My friend owns Spec Epic with SPV rear damping and he says it's great. And how about SPV forks?? Are they really super-effective ;-) ??
One more question: Any experience on FOX TERRA VALVE? I'm not very intrested in it (price) but if Frischi rides it (despite it's 300gr heavier than SID WORLD CUP) i'd bet he's a good reason.

Cheers
yash

heeeyy guys don't tell me no one have ridden SkarebSPV so far ;-)

Originally posted by yash
heeeyy guys don't tell me no one have ridden SkarebSPV so far ;-)

I've ridden the Minute which is the same except that its based on the stronger Black platform with a stregnthened crown. They are actually quite amazing forks. They don't require lockouts because the SPV damping filters most of the pedal bob the lockout is supposed to stop. The Fox terralogic series is somewhat of a similar concept but using a different technology. SPV is basically a form of compression damping that filters out low frequency vibrations such as pedal strokes not allowing the fork to compress, or at least not significantly enough. The terralogic system in the Fox uses what they call an inertia valve which can be best described as a lockout that is always on. Impacts comming from the bottom will shake the valve open "unlocking" the fork and allowing oil to pass and the fork to compress.
By the way, the Specialized Epic doesn't use SPV. It has an inertia valve system similar to the Terralogic forks which were actually derived from the brain shock on the Epic.

Originally posted by Hecubus

By the way, the Specialized Epic doesn't use SPV.

Thanks for letting me now about the mistake. I was sure there's SPV mark on the shock, don't know why. Nevermind.
Your experience with Minute sounds good - it's a sign that bike forks are about to change a lot. Fork that doesn't bump was only a dream in past few years and it seems that it'll come true, at last. We'll see on TV what guys (and girls) will be riding in the XC World Cup. It'll be the best sign whether 'intelligent' suspension is doing really fine at racing. Frischi did ride it last year - it was the first test and the message was clear (marathon world championship). I've been considering fork upgrade but it seems that it'd be better to wait and see whatsup. Wonder how'd it be to ride NRS with Skareb SPV or sth like that. Any thoughts?

Cheers
yash

In reality at races you'll see whatever they are sponsored to race with so thats not an indicator of whats really the best. Those racers will do well no matter what they ride. You'll see a lot of fox RLT's/F80X's, Skarebs, and SID's with remote lockout. Rock Shox will be also be introducing their own form of stable platform suspension for 05' with their new Pike and Reba forks: http://www.angryasian.com/main.cfm

In reality at races you'll see whatever they are sponsored to race with so thats not an indicator of whats really the best. Those racers will do well no matter what they ride. You'll see a lot of fox RLT's/F80X's, Skarebs, and SID's with remote lockout. Rock Shox will be also be introducing their own form of stable platform suspension for 05' with their new Pike and Reba forks: http://www.angryasian.com/main.cfm