Manitou Skareb vs Rockshox Sid

raistlin

Feb 14, 2005
Hi,

I was thinking of upgrading my fork and these two names always come up. any suggestions?

raistlin said:
Hi,

I was thinking of upgrading my fork and these two names always come up. any suggestions?
I am thinking of waiting until the new Manitous come out (at the end of this year?).

raistlin said:
Hi,

ohh god no.. lol ok.. i had some skarebsd (the comp then the platinum) both are compete ****, they flex soo bad, you wouldnt know how bad they are untill you switch to something a bit more sturdy like a fox, but after switching to a fox F100RLT the skareb felt like it wasnt going in the direction you wnted it to, less control cause of the flex

then the SID.. yeah ok theyre nice and light as well but still flexy like the skareb, not as bad but they do work nicer than the skareb, easy to adjust and yeah.. they just seem to have a little more adjustability in them.

then comparable to them (depending what model...) the fox forks.. the fox F100RLT is the top of the line one then youve got the F100RL and others.. if your looking for a real good XC fork, the F100RLT or F80RLT are awesome, i have the 100mm version myself and its the only fork out there at this spec i would reccomend. it has the 32mm stanchion tubes which i think forks NEED nomatter what, it just makes them so much more stiffer. and theyre just soo adjustable

so my advice.. save a little more money and get a fox

raistlin said:
Hi,

Both forks are decent quality, but unless you're really lightweight or don't mind some flex you'll find the SIDs a bit nerve-racking on gnarly descents.

The skarebs are a lot better than the SIDs and are my fave XC race fork - I'm running the '05 platinums with 100mm travel. The SPV works really well.

If you're a bigger rider though, or want something a bit beefier, then Fox or Rockshox Reba are what you should be looking at. They've got thicker stanchions and are stiffer as a result.

moparchris said:
ohh god no.. lol ok.. i had some skarebsd (the comp then the platinum) both are compete ****, they flex soo bad, you wouldnt know how bad they are untill you switch to something a bit more sturdy like a fox, but after switching to a fox F100RLT the skareb felt like it wasnt going in the direction you wnted it to, less control cause of the flex

then the SID.. yeah ok theyre nice and light as well but still flexy like the skareb, not as bad but they do work nicer than the skareb, easy to adjust and yeah.. they just seem to have a little more adjustability in them.

then comparable to them (depending what model...) the fox forks.. the fox F100RLT is the top of the line one then youve got the F100RL and others.. if your looking for a real good XC fork, the F100RLT or F80RLT are awesome, i have the 100mm version myself and its the only fork out there at this spec i would reccomend. it has the 32mm stanchion tubes which i think forks NEED nomatter what, it just makes them so much more stiffer. and theyre just soo adjustable

so my advice.. save a little more money and get a fox
Thanks for your advise Mopachris...Fox forks are defintely my dream forks..but i dont think Im good enough to deserve them yet :)

MidBunchLurker said:
Both forks are decent quality, but unless you're really lightweight or don't mind some flex you'll find the SIDs a bit nerve-racking on gnarly descents.

The skarebs are a lot better than the SIDs and are my fave XC race fork - I'm running the '05 platinums with 100mm travel. The SPV works really well.

If you're a bigger rider though, or want something a bit beefier, then Fox or Rockshox Reba are what you should be looking at. They've got thicker stanchions and are stiffer as a result.
What qualifies as a "bigger rider"? Im around 6' 1" and am 190 lbs. Im looking for a plush fork that will allow me to maintain my balance when i pedal down slopes...also something lightweight that will make it easier to climb up hills. Right now im just using stock sr suntours that are pretty useless. and want to make sure that the money i spend will lead to noticeable improvements in performance...thanks for your advice!

I have tried both SID and Skareb, but have a set of Skareb's on my bike. I am a pretty aggressive rider and have found them to be a great fork. I would not say there is a 'flexing' issue with them that I have noticed, where I am the dirt is like rock at the moment and there are ruts and roots galore, but the forks have stood up well.

Having said that a mate of mine got a set of Minutes and another has got a Fox fork and I would probably got one of them in the future once I wear the Skarebs out.

What qualifies as a "bigger rider"? Im around 6' 1" and am 190 lbs.

I'd say that puts you into "bigger rider" territory.

Im looking for a plush fork that will allow me to maintain my balance when i pedal down slopes...also something lightweight that will make it easier to climb up hills. Right now im just using stock sr suntours that are pretty useless.

I think ANY of the forks that have been mentioned here will be a huge improvement over your existing ones. I'd add a few other forks to the mix too - most of the mid-range Marzocchi forks are very good, Manitou Minute (not as sensitive as the Skareb on small bumps), Rockshox Reba and all the air Fox forks. I'd have a look around for a good deal on any of the above. While there may be differences, none of them are bad forks. And all of them are incomparable to the SR Suntours.

MidBunchLurker said:
I think ANY of the forks that have been mentioned here will be a huge improvement over your existing ones.
I'm hoping that holds true for me as well. I'm upgrading from a late 90's RockShox Indy SL (one that has been ridden hard and put away wet) to an 05 Skareb Elite. Hoping I'll notice a performance improvement above and beyond the fact that the Indy is toast.