Manitou SX v EXR

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by roKeMS, May 1, 2003.

  1. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002
    I'm looking at buying some forks. They are Manitou SX100's, 2002 model, 4" travel, for $200.00 they can have disc or V brakes.

    Are they any good and what's the internals eg oil, hydrocoil, spring etc. What's the diff between these and the EXRs'?

    Any info would be great thanks.

    Tags:

  2. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    roKeMS <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking at buying some forks. They are Manitou SX100's, 2002 model, 4" travel, for $200.00
    > they can have disc or V brakes.
    >
    > Are they any good and what's the internals eg oil, hydrocoil, spring etc. What's the diff between
    > these and the EXRs'?
    >
    > Any info would be great thanks.

    SX100 are an OEM fork with coil spring/MCU stack in left leg (on the bike looking down) and the TPC
    damping on the other. Compression damping in done via a small piston with holes, non adjustable.
    Rebound is controlled via the rebound shaft connected to the outer leg (the external 8mm Allen head
    bolt) A damping piston with a blow off wave washer with no adjustability. You can increase the
    compression and rebound damping by changing over to lighter or heavier fluid but not the oil height
    this is crucial that its correct.

    The spring leg is prone to having the MCU's bunch up and split the plastic joiners between them a
    definite design flaw. It can be improved by fitting the SX100 upgrade kit that uses a longer
    spring fewer MCU's and a longer compression rod. Lubrication is achived via grease ports in the
    back of the legs

    Other than that the forks are light stiff and very basic to rebuild, would suggest a firm ride kit
    if you weigh in over 80kg.

    The Mazocchis are Tawanese made fork that is better suited to thrashers and heavy riders the finish
    is not as nice as the manitous but pretty relaible.