Manolo Saiz arrested

bobke -- May I mention that you assume said moderator will accept what you just said. ;)

musette said:
bobke -- May I mention that you assume said moderator will accept what you just said. ;)
over and out

the recent discussions here do not merit further posting

baiting people who are earnest in an attempt to increase market shares or logins or posting inreally unethical

everyone hut it down now

over and out

wolfix said:
The moderator needs to step in on this.... I have seen him threaten other posters on this forum for repeatedly posting false info. Frenchifandoesnodope has quoted articles and put false info in them in an attempt to cause forum chaos.....

You mean more forum chaos!

rejobako said:
I'm all for free and open forums, but I agree that an intentional misquotation or fabrication of a published source crosses the line.

I'm with all of you on this.

If he has been shown to be deliberately misleading he should be banned from the forum. Immediately.

It seems pretty obvious he is being deliberately misleading.

barnstorm said:
Frenchfan seems to assert that the french test their athletes constantly while other countries leave it to the sport. Did anyone else extrapolate that from his ramblings and edited articles? It hits something that suddenly is bugging me. The past few years, French cycling has been completely in the toilet and I have relentlessly made fun of them for that. I assumed it was something about how they developed riders. I am not trying to get too conspiratorial here because there is plenty of real conspiracy to go around right now. But did anyone else catch that and is there anything to it?

If the French are testing the **** out of their own athletes and the rest of the world is behaving like Liberty seems to have, that would explain a lot.

I know I'm a little behind on this thread but it is thought that crossed my mind.

Not only have the French riders been tested frequently but there is the fear of testing to keep them honest as well.

cyclingheroes said:
Don't stop making fun of the French, they are funny:D . But yes they are very angry and frustrated and have all reason too.
OK, I won't, especially the dopeyfrenchie who is probably not french at all and keeps posting doctored articles and quotes from non-existant articles. My take on the editing thing is that it is out of line. Some of us are full of **** all of the time and all of us are full of **** some of the time. We all interpret, speculate, postulate, ponder, bait, switch, and berate each other in reasonably good paranoid fun. I have seen plenty of ridiculous spins on topics but at least they were the poster's actual spin. That's what it comes down to, post your own takes or cut and paste real takes but don't put false words in others' mouths.... makes this whole thing no fun at all..

and has anyone noticed how frenchdopes frenglish gets better and worse post to post. I buy the monty python theory. this guy isn't even french. I suppose it could be a cloaked current member screwing with us all or a psychotic refugee from another forum that kicked him off.... but I suspect he is not french.

barnstorm said:
OK, I won't, especially the dopeyfrenchie who is probably not french at all and keeps posting doctored articles and quotes from non-existant articles. My take on the editing thing is that it is out of line. Some of us are full of **** all of the time and all of us are full of **** some of the time. We all interpret, speculate, postulate, ponder, bait, switch, and berate each other in reasonably good paranoid fun. I have seen plenty of ridiculous spins on topics but at least they were the poster's actual spin. That's what it comes down to, post your own takes or cut and paste real takes but don't put false words in others' mouths.... makes this whole thing no fun at all..

and has anyone noticed how frenchdopes frenglish gets better and worse post to post. I buy the monty python theory. this guy isn't even french. I suppose it could be a cloaked current member screwing with us all or a psychotic refugee from another forum that kicked him off.... but I suspect he is not french.
Lim wanted to contact Frenchnodope so let's wait and see what happends. Let's get back to the Saiz/Fuentes topic.

At http://www.sport365.fr/depeches/filinfo_118728_1344_Dopage-Beneteau-remonte.shtml you can find some comments from the French cycling world:

Walter Bénéteau (Bouyges Telecom)
"Il faut nettoyer. On en a marre de ces hypocrites et je suis bien content qu'ils se fassent prendre. Si la police nettoie bien, vous allez voir un paquet de Français gagner des courses".

My french is not that good but one of the things Walter says about the Saiz/Fuentes case is that he has had enough of dead riders and hypocrits and that he is statisfied that they where caught. He also says that if the police will hit hard, we will see a serie of French riders that will win races again.

If anybody can make a complete and better translation... that would be great!

cyclingheroes said:
At http://www.sport365.fr/depeches/filinfo_118728_1344_Dopage-Beneteau-remonte.shtml you can find some comments from the French cycling world:

Walter Bénéteau (Bouyges Telecom)
"Il faut nettoyer. On en a marre de ces hypocrites et je suis bien content qu'ils se fassent prendre. Si la police nettoie bien, vous allez voir un paquet de Français gagner des courses".

My french is not that good but one of the things Walter says about the Saiz/Fuentes case is that he has had enough of dead riders and hypocrits and that he is statisfied that they where caught. He also says that if the police will hit hard, we will see a serie of French riders that will win races again.

Translates as: "This has got to be cleaned up. We're tired [people are tired] of these hypocrits and I'm really happy that they're caught. If the police can clean this up right, you'll see a bunch of French riders winning races."

Say Bidon said:
Translates as: "This has got to be cleaned up. We're tired [people are tired] of these hypocrits and I'm really happy that they're caught. If the police can clean this up right, you'll see a bunch of French riders winning races."
Thanks for the translation, as i said my French isn't very good.:)

cyclingheroes said:
Thanks for the translation, as i said my French isn't very good.:)
Je vous en prie...

I'm happy to contribute a translation from time to time - I'm lurking around as a new fan learning what I can...

cyclingheroes said:

Here's my attempt at a rough translation:

>> "Jean Pitallier (président de la Fédération française de cyclisme)
Il faut faire ce nettoyage indispensable. Je suis très satisfait de voir certains personnages se faire prendre et j'espère qu'ils vont disparaître définitivement du paysage."

Translated, Pitallier (French Cycling Federation): "This house-cleaning is necessary. I'm really glad that certain people got themselves captured and I hope that they will definitively disappear from the [cycling] landscape."

>> "Marc Madiot (directeur sportif de la Française des Jeux)
Désormais, c'est à la police de faire son travail. J'espère juste qu'elle aura les moyens de le faire jusqu'au bout. Car c'est une question de logique et d'honnêteté. Ca fait dix ans qu'ils sont prévenus, ils n'ont plus aucune excuse. On ne négocie plus, on ne dialogue plus. C'est tolérance zéro. Alors, coupons des têtes, comme à la Révolution. Ils se sont assez moqués de nous, non ? Il faut nettoyer le milieu et mettre enfin tout le monde à la même enseigne."

Translated: Francaise des Jeux DS: "It's the police that has to do the work. I hope they have the means to pursue their work up to the finish. Because it's a question of [something] and honesty. It's been ten years that they've [I think he means the cyclists] been warned fo this; they have no excuse [for doping]. One [the authorities] shold not negotiate; one should not discuss it any more [on doping]. It should be zero tolerance. Thus, behead them [the doping cyclists], like in the [French] revolution. They've mocked us [the French teams for poor performance], no? There should be a cleansing of the realm such that everybody is finally placed on a level playing field."

>> Denis Leproux (directeur sportif d'Agritubel)
"Sportivement, c'est un bien que ces affaires sortent. Si elles peuvent contribuer à remettre tout à plat c'est parfait. Maintenant, le cyclisme va encore en prendre plein la figure..."

DS of Agritubel, translated: "From a sporting perspective, it's good that these things were disclosed. If they can contribute to putting everything in place, that would be perfect. Now, cycling [will remain again in the spotlight???]"

>> Philippe Dalibard (directeur sportif de Bretagne Jean Floc'h)
"C'est à la fois une bonne chose et une catastrophe pour le vélo. Manolo Sainz tout le monde le connaît, tout le monde sait de quoi il est capable. Un personnage comme lui n'a plus rien à faire dans le milieu du vélo."

"It's both a good thing and a catastrophe for cycling. Everybody knows Saiz, knows what he's capable of. A person like Saiz shouldn't have any thing to do with the cycling industry any more."

>> Walter Bénéteau (Bouyges Telecom)
"Il faut nettoyer. On en a marre de ces hypocrites et je suis bien content qu'ils se fassent prendre. Si la police nettoie bien, vous allez voir un paquet de Français gagner des courses."

"There has to be house-cleaning. One is angry against these hypocrits and I am very glad that they have been captured. If the police clear well, you will see various French cyclists win races."

musette said:
These doctors are pretty stupid if they think labeling Gutierrez "the buffalo" in Spanish would "encode" and protect the identity of the rider. Gut's nickname in the peloton is "the buffalo", from his breathing. Duuhhhh...

Here's another brilliant "code" name:

Unai Osa --> “Uno”

Hmm, who could Un.O be?

Pressrelease Phonak team

Hombrechtikon, 2006-06-02

Press release
The Phonak Cycling Team has acted in direct response to the connections made in the Spanish media between certain Phonak Cycling Team riders and Dr Fuentes. After consultation with the riders involved, Santiago Botero and José Enrique Gutierrez, the team management decided that neither rider will be selected for races until the examinations bring more clarity to the picture.
General Team Manager John Lelangue: „Botero and Gutierrez are neither dismissed nor suspended. In the interests of the team and to ensure calm for all team members for the coming races, we have decided to take this step.” The Team Management takes the published reports seriously, although the truth of the matter cannot be verified at the present time. „If further investigations show that the riders have used methods that are not permitted, they will of course be dismissed immediately“, was Lelangue’s clear message.

http://www.phonak-cycling.ch/index.php?id=5&L=1&uid=209

cyclingheroes said:
Pressrelease Phonak team

Hombrechtikon, 2006-06-02

Press release
The Phonak Cycling Team has acted in direct response to the connections made in the Spanish media between certain Phonak Cycling Team riders and Dr Fuentes. After consultation with the riders involved, Santiago Botero and José Enrique Gutierrez, the team management decided that neither rider will be selected for races until the examinations bring more clarity to the picture.
General Team Manager John Lelangue: „Botero and Gutierrez are neither dismissed nor suspended. In the interests of the team and to ensure calm for all team members for the coming races, we have decided to take this step.” The Team Management takes the published reports seriously, although the truth of the matter cannot be verified at the present time. „If further investigations show that the riders have used methods that are not permitted, they will of course be dismissed immediately“, was Lelangue’s clear message.

http://www.phonak-cycling.ch/index.php?id=5&L=1&uid=209

Thanks for that, CH.

And a very interesting post it is.

It looks like certain teams have adopted what I would feel is the correct strategy in cases of doping allegations : if there is an accusation and if that accusation is specific, then the team should take corrective action along the lines which Phonak have done or like what TMO did by getting their riders to sign indemnities.

I am heartened to see that Phonak didn't just issue the usual "we deny all charges......." statement.

limerickman said:
I am heartened to see that Phonak didn't just issue the usual "we deny all charges......." statement.
They can't: the contracts with I-shares (new sponsor, Phonak will stop at the end of the year) are not signed yet (but will in the coming days). But maybe it's more, maybe they learned from the last doping allegations against Phonak riders. I hope so. I knew John Lelangue was going to speak with them (Gutierrez and Botero) and would take action, i was surprised that Phonak handled so fast. The conversation between Lelangue and the riders was yesterday.

cyclingheroes said:
They can't: the contracts with I-shares (new sponsor, Phonak will stop at the end of the year) are not signed yet (but will in the coming days). But maybe it's more, maybe they learned from the last doping allegations against Phonak riders. I hope so. I knew John Lelangue was going to speak with them (Gutierrez and Botero) and would take action, i was surprised that Phonak handled so fast. The conversation between Lelangue and the riders was yesterday.

OK : Jhuskey intimated that Phonak were due to cease sponsorship some time back - so it has come to pass.
And no doubt you're correct, the team want to be seen as whiter than white given it's new sponsor and given it's past.

It's a pity that this same attitude wasn't adopted by Cofidis, Festina etc in the past.

Phonak have had there fingers burnt so many times by rouge riders they don't have any fingers left ! Smart play.....

cyclingheroes said: