Manolo Saiz arrested

limerickman said:
sorry, DV, I just assumed that you knew about it.
No offence.
None taken... I knew that Lefevre was the DS of MAPEI but I didn't know about the result you mentioned. :)

DV1976 said:
None taken... I knew that Lefevre was the DS of MAPEI but I didn't know about the result you mentioned. :)

yeah 1996 - it was surreal stuff : three guys from the same team coming in to the velodrome, each waving each other over the line.
Surreal.

In fact mapei had a strangle hold on P-R from 1993-1996 : tafi and Ballerini and museeuw were swapping the title round like confetti.
But 1996, they looked like they were taking the **** - three of them finishing together.

limerickman said:
yeah 1996 - it was surreal stuff : three guys from the same team coming in to the velodrome, each waving each other over the line.
Surreal.

In fact mapei had a strangle hold on P-R from 1993-1996 : tafi and Ballerini and museeuw were swapping the title round like confetti.
But 1996, they looked like they were taking the **** - three of them finishing together.
Surreal is indeed the word for it.
And Lefevre repeated the "feat" in 2001.
Was he Museeuw's DS when he was caught with PEDs?

bobke said:
I think Nadal was named in connection with the fashion police for continuing to wear capri tennis pants.
http://www.rafaelnadal.org/pictures/roland garros/3/rafael nadal 5.jpg
Ugh! Poor form.

Not that I'm much of a fashion guru but there are a few other problems apart from the shorts.

I remember thinking Agassi was a bit of a ****** when he was young and in his prime and wearing some unusual clothes, but I also remember thinking that if you are the best in the world you can wear what you like.

I think Nadal is a good enough tennis player to wear what he likes.

While we are off topic, if anyone is in contact with the coach for the US football team could they tell him that Australia won pretty convincingly yesterday - pretty good for a team that is "there to make up numbers" according to him.

MJtje said:
Youre referring to the Gewiss team, who's team doctor was Ferrari at the time. After Ferrari's magic (epo!!) and the 1,2,3 of gewiss in liege the whole peloton wanted epo. After liege if I remember correctly all the press was waiting outside and all jumped onto Ferrari, cause everyone knew at the time that the 1,2,3 in Liege was not normal.........that is when Ferrari made his famous comments about epo........
Wasn't it Fleche-Wallonne 1995 where the Gewiss boys got the 1-2-3?
And 6th place behind the Gewiss boys was Lance Armstrong.
After the race, he signed up with Dr Ferrari.
He won Flèche Wallonne the next year...
Any dots worth joining?

whiteboytrash said:
Off topic: The Spanish papers today were reporting that French Open winner Nadal is caught up in the blood doping affair... he has denied it and the story is somewhat lost with the World Cup news... but he is the first high-profile non-cyclist to be named........
Off topic: Well if there was one tennis player who was blood doping, then I wouldn't look too far from Nadal. Unbelievable stamina. And then there are the biceps, which are so out of place on a tennis player.

Off Topic : The ATP Tennis Association have been even more resistent to dope testing than the UCI.
Almost on par with baseball in their opposition to more tests, random tests etc.

OF COURSE NONE OF THIS MITIGATES THE SPORT OF CYCLING'S REFUSAL TO GET IT'S HOUSE IN ORDER.

Quite frankly, I couldn't give a fig about what Tennis or other sports are up to.
I want cycling to be a clean sport.

patch70 said:
Wasn't it Fleche-Wallonne 1995 where the Gewiss boys got the 1-2-3?
And 6th place behind the Gewiss boys was Lance Armstrong.
After the race, he signed up with Dr Ferrari.
He won Flèche Wallonne the next year...
Any dots worth joining?
I looked it up and in 1995 Jalabert won fleche.....can't remember that he was with Gewiss. I think it was Liege, maybe Lim can confirm?

Haha I think you joined the dots allright.......at that time we know from ex-pro swartz that armstrong was one of the guys at Motorola who wanted to dope; he wanted to compete with the other guys. At the same time he hires Ferrari..........what a coincedence...........And yes the next year (1996) he's the no 1 in the world and wins fleche.........

limerickman said:
Off Topic : The ATP Tennis Association have been even more resistent to dope testing than the UCI.
Almost on par with baseball in their opposition to more tests, random tests etc.
OK thanks. I didn't know that.
Kuznetsova's parents were champion cyclists weren't they?

Valenciana is out for the TdF and if you read the ASO statement it wouldn't surprise me if Würth will be out as well. The staement says that ASO is waiting for a decision of the UCI about the protour license of Astana Würth which major stockholder (Saiz) is part of the Spanish doping scandal. If you read between the lines it's pretty clear that they (ASO) don't want Astana-Würth in the tour...

wolfix said:
Explain how he was #1 in the World.........
What do you mean.....armstrong was nr 1 best rider on the UCI list after a very strong spring.....ór is that not correct?

Velonews:

"The Spanish daily AS also reported that the UCI is scheduled to meet Wednesday on the question of whether or not to extend the ProTour license for the team's new title sponsor, Astana-Würth."

musette said:
Velonews:

"The Spanish daily AS also reported that the UCI is scheduled to meet Wednesday on the question of whether or not to extend the ProTour license for the team's new title sponsor, Astana-Würth."
It could be that today's TdS stage winner Vicioso didn't do himself (and the team) a favour today... According to the German website Radsportnews (the article is at: http://radsportnews.net/2006/tds4.shtml ) he said in an interview that he dedicates todays stage win to Manolo Saiz....

cyclingheroes said:
It could be that today's TdS stage winner Vicioso didn't do himself (and the team) a favour today... According to the German website Radsportnews (the article is at: http://radsportnews.net/2006/tds4.shtml ) he said in an interview that he dedicates todays stage win to Manolo Saiz....
seems like the team's loyalty to Saiz could be interpreted as involvement in the Spanish doping circles.

Excerpt from TdF official statement:

"Concerning the case of Manolo Saiz in this issue, prejudicial to cycling’s image, the Tour de France has taken into account the fact of his withdrawal from the Tour. A withdrawal that the race organisation would have requested anyway.

Concerning his team and because of this year’s system, except for invitations, the participation is decided by the UCI (Union Cycliste Internationale) through the attribution of licences by a special commission. Therefore the Tour de France awaits an upcoming decision of this commission concerning the presence in its event of a team in which one of the main shareholders is blamed in a doping issue.

Finally if riders or members of the team staff are accused [Is this limited to AW, I wonder? Sounds like it] by the Spanish justice before the start or during the event, the ethics code decided by the sporting groups envisaging the withdrawal or retiry [they mean exclusion] of people concerned, will be strongly applied."

Tour is saying that UCI licensing determines whether AS as a team gets into TdF. It sounds like LeBlanc/Prudhomme will not exclude if UCI grants AW the ProTour license. However, if any AS cyclists are accused by Spanish justice before or during the Tour, then they will be excluded, it sounds like.

One key question not answered is whether cyclists from non-AS teams, if accused by Spanish justice before or during the Tour, will be excluded.

An interesting question is raised for TM. If non-AS cyclists who are named by Spanish justice can be excluded DURING the Tour (if they are named during the Tour), inclusion of Sevilla on the Tour team risks having Sevilla kicked out before the mountains and leaving JU one domestique short.

Eufemiano Fuentes, the doctor at the centre of Spain’s Operacion Puerto blood doping investigation, has said there is no link between that inquiry and the Comunitat Valenciana team, whose invite to the Tour de France was withdrawn earlier this week.

Speaking to Valencian newspaper Levante after hearing about the Spanish team’s Tour exclusion, Fuentes said: “This is not an attempt nor a manoeuvre to save Comunitat Valenciana. I’ve got no link with them and it seems absurd that these steps have been taken. What I’m telling you now will become clear in a few months when the ongoing investigation is concluded, but I just wanted you to know this in case someone is listening.”

Fuentes stated his relationship with Kelme (now Comunitat Valenciana) finished in 2002. “I was obliged to work with them at the end of 2003, but I’ve not had any relationship with them since then either on an individual level or a collective one. There is nothing to link the team to the Operacion Puerto investigation… The only explanation I can find [for their exclusion] is my friendship with one of the team’s staff, Ignacio Labarta.”

Fuentes probebly fears that he could loose his liscense as a doctor...

whiteboytrash said:
Eufemiano Fuentes, the doctor at the centre of Spain’s Operacion Puerto blood doping investigation, has said there is no link between that inquiry and the Comunitat Valenciana team, whose invite to the Tour de France was withdrawn earlier this week.

Speaking to Valencian newspaper Levante after hearing about the Spanish team’s Tour exclusion, Fuentes said: “This is not an attempt nor a manoeuvre to save Comunitat Valenciana. I’ve got no link with them and it seems absurd that these steps have been taken. What I’m telling you now will become clear in a few months when the ongoing investigation is concluded, but I just wanted you to know this in case someone is listening.”

Fuentes stated his relationship with Kelme (now Comunitat Valenciana) finished in 2002. “I was obliged to work with them at the end of 2003, but I’ve not had any relationship with them since then either on an individual level or a collective one. There is nothing to link the team to the Operacion Puerto investigation… The only explanation I can find [for their exclusion] is my friendship with one of the team’s staff, Ignacio Labarta.”