Manufacturer Shenanigans, Part Deux

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by tonyzackery, Jun 9, 2012.

1. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/spotted-treks-new-aero-madone-34215/

Yeah, I really need that brake underneath the chainstays. Lots of areo advantage from being placed in that brilliant location/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif, right behind that most aero 90mm wide bottom bracket. Gonna be fun working down there on those brakes. Direct mount front brakes from Shimano? Not buying it. I'll take some off an old mountain bike if I need them that bad, thank you very much. It's been out for some time, but Shimano's hollow big chainring is pretty stupid too - stupid expensive ($180-$300+) to replace and already superceded by another proposed future 'standard' crankset spider dimension (DA 9070). Not with my money...

Tags:

2. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

So we'll just call you Tony "I'm a wind tunnel " Zackery from now on. Nothing like learning lessons from past time trial bikes and implementing them on a road bike... Oh wait, it's exactly like that...

3. tonyzackery

Ad hominem, ad nauseum.
    All too predictable. There'll be a few of the other usual suspects joining Tweedle Dum shortly./img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

4. tonyzackery

Brakes under a regular use road bike is just as stupid as Chevrolet requiring a person to drop the motor to change all the spark plugs on Camaros a few years back. Yeah, all in the name of aerodynamics (lowered hoodline) and front/rear weight bias (moving the motor rearward partially underneath the firewall). Brilliant!

5. swampy1970

Having owned a 1st, 3rd and 4th gen Camaros, I have no idea what the heck you're on about with regards to having to move the engine in order to change spark plugs. The 3rd gen you had to get them from underneath for most of the plugs.

The only Camaro I've ever had issues with removing plugs is our 67 with a ZZ502 and Hooker comp headers. Gotta remove the drivers side headers in order to get to plugs due to the size of the primaries.

But with regards to the bikes, we're not talking department store bikes here - we're talking Tour de France team issue kit where anything and everything that can be done to save a few watts here and there can be the difference between sore legs after 3 weeks and dead legs and off the back.

6. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

If you don't like it, don't buy it. (BTW, that's how capitalism works--if not enough people buy it, it will go away). Perhaps you forget that much of the performance and safety improvements in our daily driver vehicles were first tried on the track at some point. So why whine about it and its cost?

Personally, I think it does clean up the look of the bike a bit, and at the right price I wouldn't have a problem buying something like that if I were in the market for a bike of that caliber (likely won't ever be in that market, I don't race, and my bike is titanium...).

7. tonyzackery

A coupla reading comprehension-challenged, modern-day Einsteins.
    The 'usual suspects' laying in the weeds all the while waiting for their chance./img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif
    I'll pull the strings again soon...

8. Nukuhiva

Nukuhiva Member

Ok, so it's 'nuddah expensive doohickey that works great under perfect lab condition but fails the first time there's a snow storm.
    Wuddelse is new?

9. swampy1970

I think that since I have nearly 7,000 posts, I'm hardly waiting in the weeds just hoping that you post more drivel.

You post garbage on a public forum - expect to get some replies back that you don't really care for or you could ask the mods to create a section just for little ol' you. Dropping motors on Chevy's to change plugs = garbage. The only thing I have difficulty with comprehending are your bizarre rant like posts - a tourettes fuel typing spasm that really doesn't provide a platform for discussion.

IMHO, the direct mount brakes are an ace idea for carbon frames, if the brakes mount to a molded on post that is. No need to worry about having to beef up the area around the brake mounting area because some numpty is likely to wield his 5mm allen wrench with the force of Thor. Having a hole in the fork crown isn't the best for strength either - so just getting rid of those two elements removes potential for failure of a rather nasty kind. I obviously haven't ridden a bike with the new brakes on but it'd be interesting to give one a try or hear back from someone that actually has. Lighter, stronger and less bits sticking out in the wind = win.

Any change that brings a real improvement, especially in the top of the line groupsets, is worth having. Eventually, those changes will filter down in one form or other to more affordable groupsets. If you look at brakes - the performance on even Shimano 105 calipers eclipses that of the mega dollar Campag Super Record that were used by the Pro's when I started racing. Sure you get some crap along the way - Campag Delta Calipers, Campag Syncro and Mavic Zap but in general progress makes for better bikes.

Every once in a while there'll be a change that requires other equipment to be upgraded - a la Di2 or going from 10 to 11 speed but does that inconvenience make the initial improvement "bad"? No, it just means that for most of us we'll have to wait until we can front the cash to pay for the extra bits and pieces to make the new equipment work.

10. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

So we'll just call you Tony "I'm a wind tunnel " Zackery from now on.

More accurately, Tone Windbag. Ad Domino. Ad Secularum. Ad sales tax.

Icy Hot Sprintaz!!! Can I be one of the "usual suspects"? Please?

Tell us, again, which school of engineering you graduated from, your area of specialization as an aerodynamicist and your GPA. If you can do that between sock puppet posts.

Let's see...Trek or Tone Loco? Ima goin' with Trek. Now that shimNO stuff...I'm going to have to wait for Campagnolo's new electrically actuated, hydraulic setup. The one's with the extra-infused fiberglass strands for mo' betta' aero boundary zone tripping!

11. tonyzackery

All too easy. What chumps./img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

12. swampy1970

All you got is an smiley face... ? No comment, no retort, no statement of mind boggling proportions? Nope...

We should call you Billy NoGame. The Master of the Craptacular.

13. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

What? No "Bump!"???

I feel so...violated and used.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif

14. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

If it snows we'll just use our Domanes.

15. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Clearly you don't get the intent of the brake location. Moreover, you have no clue how it will perform in adverse conditions. Your understanding of lab testing seems to be a bit handicapped.

16. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Or just about any bike short of a TT bike. Somewhere in this forum I've posted piccies of a Super Record equipped C-40 Colnago (I think it was a C-40....) caked with muddy slush that was at the time of the picture taking (end of the ride) working perfectly.

17. tonyzackery

Almost all of 'em have showed up - right on cue. LOL!
    Deflated ego, contrarianist non-racers who follow me around from thread to thread tossing around personal pleasantries = 'usual suspects' = chumps./img/vbsmilies/smilies/duck.gif

Mark my words: positioning the brake underneath the bike (save a dedicated TT/Tri bike) will NEVER catch on, irrespective of what the 'usual suspects' might have you believe. Trek's brilliancy in this case is only ad hoc anyway because of a cable/housing routing conflict.

18. tonyzackery

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/mavic-unveils-cosmic-cxr-80-aero-wheels

Wheels with a clip on plastic fairing? Who da' thought?
    If I'm ever compelled to think 15 seconds saved over 40kms will do something beneficial for my sense of self and need to outlay $3k to do it, someone better be paying me to ride a bike.

Short of someone putting me on the payroll - "not with my money"...

19. tonyzackery

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/aston-martin-to-launch-superbike-34248/

Ego need some posing points at your local coffee shop? Here ya' go.
    ~$40k and it can be yours, only if you're one of the chosen 77.
    A veritable rolling laboratory as well. All that information to tell you what you already know - I got dropped on that hill because I'm 30lbs overweight and I only ride 4x/month. LOL!
    Guess it'd be kinda nice if I had the matching car to go with it.

Needless to say, "Not with my money"...LOL!

20. swampy1970

Well if you ever get fed up of waiting another decade for Garmin to get their product out you could ride on of those of the BERU F1 which is similar, probably more suitable for those on a Ford Mustang/Camaro budget and not an Aston Martin, and get cool stuff like:

Useful pedal force (Ft): The component of force applied to the pedal which acts to rotate crank, creating torque about the bottom bracket (BB) spindle.
    • Wasted pedal force (Fr): The component of force which places the crank in tension but creates no torque about the BB spindle.
    • Strain gauges: Metal foil sensors bonded to components which change resistance as the material they are attached to extends, causing them to deform.
    • Accelerometers: Sensors which detect forces created by accelerations caused by changes in speed or the force of gravity. By measuring the pull of gravity acting on especially positioned arrays of sensors, the orientation of the bike or rider they are mounted to can be calculated.
    • Rider lean angle: The angle between a vertical line and a line passing through the rider’s centre of gravity and the centre of the tyre contact patch. A rider leans into a bend to prevent toppling due to the cornering force.
    • Cornering force: The force acting on the rider’s centre of gravity from the centre of a corner towards the outside.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/tech-feature-beru-f1systems-factor001-29098/