Many Argos owners here?

Tim Downie

Guest
Having spotted the name Argos mentioned here (who were the makers of my own
fine steed) I got to wondering how many other Argos owners there are out
there on urc.

Any stories to tell?

Tim

Not really an owner, but they dedinged, fitted bottle cage mounts to
the underside of the downtube to fit a crud catcher and resprayed the
frame for me once.

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:40:28 +0100, "Tim Downie"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Having spotted the name Argos mentioned here (who were the makers of my own
>fine steed) I got to wondering how many other Argos owners there are out
>there on urc.
>
>Any stories to tell?

As you saw I have two.

An audax bike which I love to bits. 853 Frame painted red and black.
Braze-on for dynamo and lamp on front fork. Rack and mudguard
braze-ons.

Within a month I managed to push the bike against a corner of a wall
denting the top tube. But thats not the bikes fault. Nobody notices
unless I point it out.
A much better bike than this rider deserves, a delight to ride.
Next time out Transport 200 Audax on Saturday.

------

A commuting bike. 725 Frame painted baby blue.
A rare straight handle barred hybrid from a custom builder. Braze-ons
for Rohloff and disc brakes. Rack and Mudguard braze-ons. Braze on
for dynamo and lamp.

I posted a little over a year ago that this bike gave me a nasty
surprise when the fork was snapped by the disc brake. Eeek! Argos
made a new stronger fork of charge including a modification to the
brake braze-on. The front brake now fits on the right hand fork blade
which will please some people on this group. Unfortunately this
prevents the use of a hub dynamo. This bike dows 32miles every work
day. I have no plans to replace it. Not as good as the other bike
but very reliable.
Next time out Later Today it takes me home.

------

The main problem with Argos is the waiting time. Like other good
makers they usually have plenty of work in front of us.

Ian Blake wrote:
> The front brake now fits on the right hand fork blade
> which will please some people on this group. Unfortunately this
> prevents the use of a hub dynamo.

I think SON is very conservative in this respect. I'd put a mark with a
felt tipped pen on the hub to check but I doubt that the cover will come
adrift

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

Ian Blake wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:40:28 +0100, "Tim Downie"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Having spotted the name Argos mentioned here (who were the makers of
>> my own fine steed) I got to wondering how many other Argos owners
>> there are out there on urc.
>>
>> Any stories to tell?
>>

> As you saw I have two.

<snip>

Mine dates from about 1981, a 531st touring frame with lovely lugwork. It's
had a few upgrades over the years as money was a bit tight when it was built
but the main parts of the bike (hubs, spokes, rims, BB, TA triple chain
wheels) are all original and wearing well. Of course the fact that the
chain rings are unchanged is indicative of the fact that I'm not a high
mileage cyclist.

It still feels as taut and rattle free as when it was built and the wheels
have never needed trueing.

Tim