Many questions answered just knowing the rules

The most important is that the ride starts on time. Rule 87 I have no patience for riding around a parking lot waiting for people to do stuff that should have been long done.

Equally as important is Rule 59. If you can't hold a straight line, then take up time trialing or triathlons.

Also, Rule 84. I'll stop for one flat per rider. if you keep getting flats, then you have the wrong tires for the ride. Also, i won't wait for you if you can't change a tire quickly on the fly with no tire levers. I probably will just jump off my bike and do it for you rather than watch you do something so sacrilegious; and while scowling and treating you like you are vermin which is my absolute right at that point. I can't even watch you if you are going to spend time looking for tire levers and then trying to pry them off like a ten year old fixing a flat for the first time. For new tight tires at home, use the tire levers all you want. Knock yourself out. Masturbate all over it in the privacy of your home for all I care. I don't have to see it. But you should have stretched them well before you mounted them, and there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to pull them off a rim after they've had 120 psi in them for a while, and put them back on with a few pounds in the tube. If you can't change a flat without tire levers, I feel really sorry for your wife. Here is a video. Watch it, learn it, live it.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLJhoqTpAaI

Thank you for let us know about this. This will help you to get useful ideas about the rules.

If you can't hold a straight line, then take up time trialing or triathlons.

That was hysterical! Kudos!

I avoid tire levers for one reason...they pinch tubes. Hands are faster, but I've met tire/rim combinations that shredded hide. I know...girly hands and I need to HTFU!

Still disagree with the saddlebag rule. I keep it down to the smallest models, but my jersey pockets are full of other ****...damned cell phones...backup plan micro pump...food for 100 miles...spare-spare tube...3rd disposable bottle...cash/card...mini-tool...

rules bore me and makes life unexciting, not to mention it prevents people from thinking outside the box.

Rules make culture and without culture we're animals.

As one fine watch company says, if you are going to break the rules, you must first master them.

Some cycling rules are culture, others are critical to safety. I'm riding on public roads protected by nothing but spandex. If you're doing your own thing, and riding with others who are expecting you to follow the code, then you could hurt someone. If you act like you know on inconsequential culture stuff, I have more faith you'll be solid when were within inches of each other at 40kph.

That was hysterical! Kudos!

I avoid tire levers for one reason...they pinch tubes. Hands are faster, but I've met tire/rim combinations that shredded hide. I know...girly hands and I need to HTFU!

Still disagree with the saddlebag rule. I keep it down to the smallest models, but my jersey pockets are full of other ****...damned cell phones...backup plan micro pump...food for 100 miles...spare-spare tube...3rd disposable bottle...cash/card...mini-tool...

If you have a saddle bag, you might as well go big and put a wire basket and panniers on your bike. Go big or go home. Tube, co2 multi tool,cell, one power bar, $20. Anything more, and you might as well pull a kiddie trailer full of ****.

Applies more to group rides. If you're riding distance by yourself, take what you need to get home safely. If you're with a group approaching 4 hours, there's a food stop.

Yet rule breakers have always been in society, take Nelson Mandela who was sentenced for 27 years for breaking the rules, what rule was that? in 1942 he joined the African National Congress and fought against apartheid in S Africa and was imprisoned for sabotage.

Aung San Suu Kyi of Burma spent 15 years under house arrest of advocating democracy.

Liu Xiaobo of China was sentenced for 11 years for inciting subversion of state power.

Mohandas Gandhi served 5 years in prison for civil disobedience, he was arrested many times for his efforts to get Britain out of India.

Martin Luther King was arrested 5 times for protesting against the treatment of blacks.

Rosa Parks was arrested for refusing to give up her seat to a white man even though it was the law.

Susan B Anthony was arrested for voting which was against the law.

And the list goes on and on. Doing the right thing often requires breaking a law.

So while culture may make the rules, the rules aren't always good and thus it takes a rule breaker to break those rules in an attempt to make a change for the better even though breaking those rules could mean a prison sentence or even a death sentence. So in fact without rule breakers the rules we would follow would make us just stupid animals that do whatever we're told to do and wag our tails doing it.

there's a food stop

I stop to **** and maybe answer the wife unit's call. Stop for food? I eat at 20 MPH.

That's the reason I stuff a third (and sometimes fourth) bottle in my pockets for those hot century rides. Keep drinking and when I roll past a herby curby with the lid open I chuck the empty in the trash.

Most of my rides are solo and although help is only a call away, I prefer to rely on myself.

I've been an outlaw all mylife. When the Velominati come for me, they better bring a big posse. They'll pry my tiny saddlebag from my cold, dead hands. Otherwise, I'm casually deliberate to the nines.

http://www.performancebike.com/weba...Product_10052_10551_1139389_-1_400101__400101

Reactions: kopride
002-5.jpg
The Classic chrome Silca Impero goes wherever the Hell the rider prefers it as long as it within the main triangle. Only old English touring bikes with the correct fittings should be seen with it jammed behind the seat tube or on a seat stay. Period.

Spare tubs should be stashed in a tire bag or proper tire sock and secured with a toe strap, double secured at the buckle. Said tire strap can be of any brand, but must match toe straps in use on the pedals. Bonus points for Alfredo Binda laminated track straps. In special circumstances requiring the rider to accrue maximum concours d'elegance points a VAR chrome plated sew-up tie may by used so long as the bike is on 1975 or earlier vintage.

View attachment 2012 The Classic chrome Silca Impero goes wherever the Hell the rider prefers it as long as it within the main triangle. Only old English touring bikes with the correct fittings should be seen with it jammed behind the seat tube or on a seat stay. Period.

Spare tubs should be stashed in a tire bag or proper tire sock and secured with a toe strap, double secured at the buckle. Said tire strap can be of any brand, but must match toe straps in use on the pedals. Bonus points for Alfredo Binda laminated track straps. In special circumstances requiring the rider to accrue maximum concours d'elegance points a VAR chrome plated sew-up tie may by used so long as the bike is on 1975 or earlier vintage.
Nice bike Pump is fine but that saddle bag needs a waiver from the commission. Wholly ****. I could camp for a week with that bag, and I will demand that Trump scrutinize you more carefully if your coming back from Mexico. You could easily fit a few kilos of contraband in a bag like that. The pump should also be painted to match the frame if you're going to go that way.

Well, we at least know why you should ride alone. I'm not pulling into truck weigh stations to make sure your kit doesn't exceed bridge limits. Holy ****.

In order to round out that bike, you need black socks that hit mid calf and an old Bell Biker touring helmet

View attachment 2012 The Classic chrome Silca Impero goes wherever the Hell the rider prefers it as long as it within the main triangle. Only old English touring bikes with the correct fittings should be seen with it jammed behind the seat tube or on a seat stay. Period.

That whole thing is so wrong it might actually be "right" Track bike with saddle bag and pump? How many track rides are you jumping off to fix a flat mid race? For road, you've saved weight dispensing of brakes and gears so let's add a kilo bag?

Yet rule breakers have always been in society, take Nelson Mandela who was sentenced for 27 years for breaking the rules, what rule was that? in 1942 he joined the African National Congress and fought against apartheid in S Africa and was imprisoned for sabotage.

Aung San Suu Kyi of Burma spent 15 years under house arrest of advocating democracy.

Liu Xiaobo of China was sentenced for 11 years for inciting subversion of state power.

Mohandas Gandhi served 5 years in prison for civil disobedience, he was arrested many times for his efforts to get Britain out of India.

Martin Luther King was arrested 5 times for protesting against the treatment of blacks.

Rosa Parks was arrested for refusing to give up her seat to a white man even though it was the law.

Susan B Anthony was arrested for voting which was against the law.

And the list goes on and on. Doing the right thing often requires breaking a law.

So while culture may make the rules, the rules aren't always good and thus it takes a rule breaker to break those rules in an attempt to make a change for the better even though breaking those rules could mean a prison sentence or even a death sentence. So in fact without rule breakers the rules we would follow would make us just stupid animals that do whatever we're told to do and wag our tails doing it.
Froze, weaving in a paceline or holding a group up where me you spend 5 minutes navel gazing before you fix a flat ain't Selma or peaceful resistance. It's basically courtesy. Rumor was that MLK would not ride with Andrew Young because he wore shorts other than black, and Nelson wouldn't ride anything but Campy. These rules are universally accepted

How many track rides are you jumping off to fix a flat mid race? For road, you've saved weight dispensing of brakes and gears so let's add a kilo bag?

LMAO! Track bike ain't seen T-Town or Colorado Springs for years, sadly. Relegated to Winter road training and rollers/trainer use.

The classic Nashbar sew-up bag holds exactly one sew-up, one green Park Tool spoke wrench and one Campagnolo 15 MM Peanut Butter spreader...er...wrench.

Men that wear their sew-up crossed over their shoulders and dress in retro-wool...get dropped. Posing is for losers. Let's go fast.

LMAO! Track bike ain't seen T-Town or Colorado Springs for years, sadly. Relegated to Winter road training and rollers/trainer use.

The classic Nashbar sew-up bag holds exactly one sew-up, one green Park Tool spoke wrench and one Campagnolo 15 MM Peanut Butter spreader...er...wrench.

Men that wear their sew-up crossed over their shoulders and dress in retro-wool...get dropped. Posing is for losers. Let's go fast.
Trexlertowns in my neck of the woods. Good rides in surrounding area as well. That is a funny set up.

I ride a fixie down the shore, but I have clinchers. My Masi has tubs, and I might make the switch on CX. Spare tub will go in back of shirt.

Rules make culture and without culture we're animals.

As one fine watch company says, if you are going to break the rules, you must first master them.

Some cycling rules are culture, others are critical to safety. I'm riding on public roads protected by nothing but spandex. If you're doing your own thing, and riding with others who are expecting you to follow the code, then you could hurt someone. If you act like you know on inconsequential culture stuff, I have more faith you'll be solid when were within inches of each other at 40kph.
that is the truth.