Many thanks to everyone...

MikeyOz said:
1. Not on Beach Rd during Peak hour with cars/trucks/buses/motorbikes/cyclists all wanting to get to work, oh wait...hey maybe the Two Lane bike path that follows the same route would be a good idea. And this is Melbourne peak hour not Brisbane Peak hour.

2. Yeah I wanted to ride up behind him yelling at him with Trucks and buses going past him, maybe I should have just pushed him into the Bushes myself.

3. Because he was seriously and dangerously taking up an entire lane and I am a cyclist as well. It works both ways you know, we dont need an entire lane. 2 A breast fair enough, 1 cyclist that time of day on that road, in an entire lane, get off and use the bike path, for that 2 km section.
Your attitude exemplifies everything that's wrong with off road bike paths. I can safely and easily maintain a minimum speed of 35km/h on the road; I'm lucky to get up to 30km/h on the bike path. Why should I use an inferior road?

Besides the whole ``cyclists delay traffic'' thing is a fallacy. Sure, they might have had to pause in their progress for thirty seconds but I bet you every single vehicle (save yourself it would seem) managed to get around the cyclist, only to be delayed by the car in front or the next red light.

The cyclist was quite correct to assert his right to space, it would seem that your knowledge in how to safely use roads is deficient. I suggest you learn before you become a cropper or take your own advice and use those God awful off road bile lanes.
--
Cheers
Euan

EuanB wrote:

> MikeyOz Wrote:
> > 1. Not on Beach Rd during Peak hour with
> > cars/trucks/buses/motorbikes/cyclists all wanting to get to work, oh
> > wait...hey maybe the Two Lane bike path that follows the same route
> > would be a good idea. And this is Melbourne peak hour not Brisbane Peak
> > hour.
> >
> > 2. Yeah I wanted to ride up behind him yelling at him with Trucks and
> > buses going past him, maybe I should have just pushed him into the
> > Bushes myself.
> >
> > 3. Because he was seriously and dangerously taking up an entire lane
> > and I am a cyclist as well. It works both ways you know, we dont need
> > an entire lane. 2 A breast fair enough, 1 cyclist that time of day on
> > that road, in an entire lane, get off and use the bike path, for that 2
> > km section.

> Your attitude exemplifies everything that's wrong with off road bike
> paths. I can safely and easily maintain a minimum speed of 35km/h on
> the road; I'm lucky to get up to 30km/h on the bike path. Why should I
> use an inferior road?
>
> Besides the whole ``cyclists delay traffic'' thing is a fallacy. Sure,
> they might have had to pause in their progress for thirty seconds but I
> bet you every single vehicle (save yourself it would seem) managed to
> get around the cyclist, only to be delayed by the car in front or the
> next red light.
>
> The cyclist was quite correct to assert his right to space, it would
> seem that your knowledge in how to safely use roads is deficient. I
> suggest you learn before you become a cropper or take your own advice
> and use those God awful off road bile lanes.
> --
> Cheers
> Euan
>
> --
> EuanB

Further to that, if Absent Husband and I had stayed on the roads on
Saturday, we wouldn't have lost all that skin (see BLART thread).

Tam

Exactly - we went much faster on bitumen without stacking it, then
slipped on concrete bike path at low speed... Why should I choose a
slower way on my commute so someone else can be faster? Do they deserve
to be at work earlier more than me? Is their job more important than
mine? J

Just because they have a vehicle that is potentially faster than mine -
does that confer a right to actually go faster?? If that was the case,
they'd all be out buying Ferrari's, and demanding that Corollas and
Hyundai's pull over to the side so that they aren't unreasonably
delayed.....

Must admit - Tam is much more assertive than I when "claiming the
lane". Got told off a couple of times for riding too close to parked
cars (and she was right - I wasn't leaving any safety buffer for car
doors that magically spring open). And for not riding right next to her
while 'claiming the lane' so our 2-abreast riding was more 'legitimate'
(does that make sense?).

Gave me a bit more confidence for next time. Soon, I'll graduate to
riding with LotteBum again - I'm sure she'll be more assertive again
when it comes to lane-claiming techniques...!!

Cheers all,
Absent Husband (who's road rash still hurts, and I'm telling anyone
who'll listen....)

EuanB said:
Besides the whole ``cyclists delay traffic'' thing is a fallacy.

to quote some wise heads "We arent holding traffic up, We ARE TRAFFIC!".

Still anyone riding '*****' rd in peakhour weekdays needs their head examined!!! apart from what others have said WhyTF would you go out of your way to inhale so much ****???

flyingdutch said:
to quote some wise heads "We arent holding traffic up, We ARE TRAFFIC!".

Still anyone riding '*****' rd in peakhour weekdays needs their head examined!!! apart from what others have said WhyTF would you go out of your way to inhale so much ****???
I agree wholeheartedly! I work with paramedics; all of them have attended many cycling related accidents on Beach Road yet some haven't attended a single cycling related accident on Nepean Highway. That's probably because there are so many more bicycles on Beach Road than Nepean but still...

I find Nepean Highway much less stressful than Beach Road, although if the weather's nice cycling home down Beach Road then by the sea is kind of irresistable.

EuanB said:
I agree wholeheartedly! I work with paramedics; all of them have attended many cycling related accidents on Beach Road yet some haven't attended a single cycling related accident on Nepean Highway. That's probably because there are so many more bicycles on Beach Road than Nepean but still...

I find Nepean Highway much less stressful than Beach Road, although if the weather's nice cycling home down Beach Road then by the sea is kind of irresistable.

must admit i have only ridden short sections of Nepean Hwy, and always thaw it would be awful and thus avoided it. (apart from that one day citybound with a stonking tailwind spinning out of gears after sitting in my 52x13, or was that a dream?)

flyingdutch said:
must admit i have only ridden short sections of Nepean Hwy, and always thaw it would be awful and thus avoided it. (apart from that one day citybound with a stonking tailwind spinning out of gears after sitting in my 52x13, or was that a dream?)
Nepean's one of the easiest roads I ride on. The left hand lane's pretty wide for pretty much the whole length and provided I ride a meter out from the kerb the traffic gives me plenty of room (/make/ them go around see :) )

I've tried doing Nepean by going down the service roads that run along side it. That's positively the worst way to ride Nepean 'cause you keep having to join Nepean and get off again. Joining traffic's about the riskiest thing a cyclist can do statistically.

For some reason the stretch that goes past Ikea et all is really fast. Most of the time I'm sitting on about 37 but down that straight I can get up to fifty and don't feel like I'm expending any extra effort. And that's BOTH ways!

Anyway, been using it for twenty odd months now without even a hint of a scare. I ride Beach Road a lot less frequently and had a few scares on that! On the other hand Beach Road's a lot more scenic.
--
Cheers
Euan

On Tue, 10 May 2005 at 01:07 GMT, MikeyOz (aka Bruce)
> 3. Because he was seriously and dangerously taking up an entire lane
> and I am a cyclist as well. It works both ways you know, we dont need
> an entire lane. 2 A breast fair enough, 1 cyclist that time of day on
> that road, in an entire lane, get off and use the bike path, for that 2
> km section.

Are you serious? I have ridden down beach road before (thankfully not
often). There is not enough room for a car to pass in your lane
anyway -- the lane is quite narrow, only a car's width, and is
certainly not a wide kerbside lane -- so you have to remind cars to
pass safely. How to do that? By claiming the entire lane.

Hey dutchy - nothing on my calendar tomorrow. If I can stay awake til
7:30 tomorrow, I'll be there :)

E = MC ** 2 +- 3db

On Tue, 10 May 2005 11:07:46 +1000, MikeyOz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>3. Because he was seriously and dangerously taking up an entire lane

What's dangerous about taking up an entire lane? Cars and buses and
trucks do it all the time. Should they be attacked by other road users
for doing so?

>and I am a cyclist as well. It works both ways you know, we dont need
>an entire lane.

Sometimes we do.

>2 A breast fair enough, 1 cyclist that time of day on
>that road, in an entire lane, get off and use the bike path, for that 2
>km section.

No. The bike path is too dangerous.

--
Regards.
Richard.

Absent Husband wrote:

> Exactly - we went much faster on bitumen without stacking it, then
> slipped on concrete bike path at low speed... Why should I choose a
> slower way on my commute so someone else can be faster? Do they deserve
> to be at work earlier more than me? Is their job more important than
> mine?

Er, in my case, there's a good chance that, yes, their job IS more
important than mine. But I don't care!

> Just because they have a vehicle that is potentially faster than mine -
> does that confer a right to actually go faster?? If that was the case,
> they'd all be out buying Ferrari's, and demanding that Corollas and
> Hyundai's pull over to the side so that they aren't unreasonably
> delayed.....

I was thinking, a really great event would be a national slow day. On
this day the speed limits in all areas are changed from 50/60 kph to
30/40 kph, and highways down to 50-60 kph. This is just me being nasty,
and wanting to slow down the traffic. Hopefully this would not occur on
a Tuesday (the day I drive).

> Must admit - Tam is much more assertive than I when "claiming the
> lane". Got told off a couple of times for riding too close to parked
> cars (and she was right - I wasn't leaving any safety buffer for car
> doors that magically spring open). And for not riding right next to her
> while 'claiming the lane' so our 2-abreast riding was more 'legitimate'
> (does that make sense?).
>
> Gave me a bit more confidence for next time. Soon, I'll graduate to
> riding with LotteBum again - I'm sure she'll be more assertive again
> when it comes to lane-claiming techniques...!!

Hehehe that sawn-off... I can't wait! (What do you mean she was JOKING?!
That ain't fair!)

> Cheers all,
> Absent Husband (who's road rash still hurts, and I'm telling anyone
> who'll listen....)

Hehehe my friends who have checked out my album are pretty impressed by
your wounds. I think I recall the line "Singing in the shower..."

Tam

Tamyka> I was thinking, a really great event would be a national
Tamyka> slow day. On this day the speed limits in all areas are
Tamyka> changed from 50/60 kph to 30/40 kph, and highways down to
Tamyka> 50-60 kph. This is just me being nasty, and wanting to slow
Tamyka> down the traffic. Hopefully this would not occur on a
Tamyka> Tuesday (the day I drive).

I think something like that actually happened for a week in some
European country once. The result was an general improvement in journey
times and less congestion.

During the ``fuel crisis'' in the UK circa 2001(?) most motorists were
trying to eke out as many miles to the gallon as possible. Motorway
speeds were around about 65 mph as opposed to the illegal but customary
90 mph. Again the result was less congestion and shorter journey times.

You'd think they'd figure it out :)
--
Cheers
Euan