Map holder for MTBO/Trailquest

Colin Blackburn

Guest
(a) Fancy, mounted, rotatable board available from all good orienteering shops @ 24 quid?

(b) Bit of hardboard drilled and zip-tied to the bars?

(c) Polythene bag, clothes pegged to the cables?

(d) Map stuck in back pocket and never looked at?

Colin

Colin Blackburn wrote:
> (a) Fancy, mounted, rotatable board available from all good orienteering shops @ 24 quid?
>
> (b) Bit of hardboard drilled and zip-tied to the bars?
>
> (c) Polythene bag, clothes pegged to the cables?
>
> (d) Map stuck in back pocket and never looked at?

FWIW on my old bike I had a small bag that mounted on the handlebars which had a Velcro'd map case
(clear plastic of course).

--
StainlessSteelRat "There's no such thing as old age, there is only sorrow." -- Fay Weldon

you can get a device made by Clickfix which is a bolt on bar mounting with a perspex map holder
that is clipped into it - about £12. If you are tempted by one of these for TQ I'd advise that you
stay well clear - I've had the perspex on two of them shatter on me whilst going over lightly
rough stuff.

> (a) Fancy, mounted, rotatable board available from all good orienteering shops @ 24 quid?
>
> (b) Bit of hardboard drilled and zip-tied to the bars?
>
> (c) Polythene bag, clothes pegged to the cables?
>
> (d) Map stuck in back pocket and never looked at?
>
> Colin

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:58:06 +0100, Colin Blackburn did issue forth:

> (a) Fancy, mounted, rotatable board available from all good orienteering shops @ 24 quid?
>
> (b) Bit of hardboard drilled and zip-tied to the bars?
>
> (c) Polythene bag, clothes pegged to the cables?
>
> (d) Map stuck in back pocket and never looked at?
>
> Colin

I certainly wouldn't recommend option (d), and the Fishers VK Map Holder is horrendous, in fact it
caused me to crash at the weekend by attacking me on a downhill.

Most of the Polaris entrants this weekend seemed to be using a rigid-ish sheet of plastic strapped
to the bars and stem with bulldog clips on it.

I was wandering round Decathlon this afternoon.

I saw a map holder, which cost around 4 pounds. It was made of heavy guage clear plastic, and
fastened to the bars with velcro. It seemed to be designed to sit on top of the stem, and I think
there may have been a third velcro fastening for the stem. Might suit you.

BTW, on a related subject: I bought one of the nice bar bags from Tchibo which were mentioned on the
group a couple of months ago. I really like it - and for seven quid you can't really do better.
Sadly it won't fasten to my bars (mountain bike with brakes and thunk shifters in one unit). At the
time there was a thread on extended bar bag mounts which someone had found in Decathlon. I've never
seen these in my local store. Can anyone describe them or give a part number please? And can I ask
if anyoen has them, can they work with any old brand of bar bag?

> FWIW on my old bike I had a small bag that mounted on the handlebars which had a Velcro'd map case
> (clear plastic of course).

Ah, forgot that option and, in fact, I have one of those, just never used it.

Colin

> "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > (a) Fancy, mounted, rotatable board available from all good orienteering shops @ 24 quid?

> you can get a device made by Clickfix which is a bolt on bar mounting with a perspex map holder
> that is clipped into it - about £12. If you are tempted by one of these for TQ I'd advise that you
> stay well clear - I've had the perspex on two of them shatter on me whilst going over lightly
> rough stuff.

Yes, I can imagine that. The Silva holder isn't perspex as far as I cam tell but it could offer the
same problems.

Colin

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 17:02:04 +0100, "Si Davies" <[email protected]> wrote:

>you can get a device made by Clickfix which is a bolt on bar mounting with a perspex map holder
>that is clipped into it - about £12. If you are tempted by one of these for TQ I'd advise that you
>stay well clear - I've had the perspex on two of them shatter on me whilst going over lightly
>rough stuff.

I use on of them on Audax rides. So far so good, but my mate has bust one (or two).

Another option is map in poly bag attached with elastic bands to your wrist.

Tim

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 17:27:31 +0100, "John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote:

>At the time there was a thread on extended bar bag mounts which someone had found in Decathlon.
>I've never seen these in my local store. Can anyone describe them or give a part number please? And
>can I ask if anyoen has them, can they work with any old brand of bar bag?
Rixen and Kaul (sp?), the people that do Klick-Fix, do an extension piece for their bar bag mount. I
think their mount is used by various bag manufacturers. I have one on my Altura.

Tim

(E) Handlebar mounted GPS unit with additional onboard mapping feature @ £175

Gadget

I have a CJ Maptrap (availble from www.ctc.org.uk for £14). I have had it for 3 years, it works well
and has not broken. I also have a couple of friends who use them. I use it for trail quest, polaris,
touring, road racing.

Gadget wrote:
> (E) Handlebar mounted GPS unit with additional onboard mapping feature @ £175

LOL, now you're talking! :)

--
StainlessSteelRat Dana Scully: What kind of insect could have gotten a man all the way up in a tree?
Fox Mulder: Itsy bitsy spider...

[email protected] (Bert Smith) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I have a CJ Maptrap (availble from www.ctc.org.uk for £14). I have had it for 3 years, it works
> well and has not broken. I also have a couple of friends who use them. I use it for trail quest,
> polaris, touring, road racing.

You use a map for road racing?

--
Dave...

[email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Bert Smith) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > I have a CJ Maptrap (availble from www.ctc.org.uk for £14). I have had it for 3 years, it works
> > well and has not broken. I also have a couple of friends who use them. I use it for trail quest,
> > polaris, touring, road racing.
>
> You use a map for road racing?

Not all races are official, or even officiated :)