MAP testing

park

Jun 16, 2004
I don't have a power tap but I do have a computrainer. I'd like to do a MAP test and want to make sure I understand what to do. Starting at 100 W I increase wattage by 5 every 12 seconds and I do this until failure? I should have a friend record my progress and then average my power over roughly the last 60 seconds? I know a computrainer isn't perfect but if I use this for future tests won't the information at least be consistent?

park said:
I don't have a power tap but I do have a computrainer. I'd like to do a MAP test and want to make sure I understand what to do. Starting at 100 W I increase wattage by 5 every 12 seconds and I do this until failure? I should have a friend record my progress and then average my power over roughly the last 60 seconds? I know a computrainer isn't perfect but if I use this for future tests won't the information at least be consistent?

Presumably you won't need a friend to record your progress, as doesn't the CT record the data for you (power, HR)?

Yep, you just keep it going until you can no longer match the prescribed power and keep digging in. Your friend may useful to motivate you. Make sure that you are well and haven't been ill recently prior to testing (see http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=powerstern for details).

if you e-mail me, i should have a programme to operate your CT

cheers
ric

park said:
Hello all,

I've been reading this forum for several months every morning with my coffee. I've learned a great deal and I appreciate everyone's input. I'm spreading the word.

I've had a Computrainer for a year and haven't used it properly until I found this site. Special thanks to Andy and Ric. I've since purchased Cycycling Peaks software and I'm so excited about training properly with power that I've been riding in the basement even though it's still in the 80's in Michigan. (can't wait to go outside with a PT next year)

Anyway, to the business at hand. You can do the MAP test alone. Your Computrainer can ramp you up automaticly. Go into the Coaching Software that came with your Computrainer. You won't have to make the purchase in order to do this, you just can't evaluate your ride in the future (get Cycling Peaks for that). In the CS instructions you will learn how to create or edit an existing ergo test using Windows Notepad. It's slick.

Chip

park said:

Park,
Just be very sure to stay as cool as possible. Use as many fans as you can.