Maple Oatmeal Cookies

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by ~patches~, Mar 13, 2006.

  1. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    These actually came out quite good. Nice, chewy texture with quite a
    bit of flavour. My changes are in brackets.

    1 1/2 c sugar (raw sugar)
    1/2 c shortening
    2 eggs
    1/3 c pure maple syrup
    1 3/4 c all-purpose flour (unbleached flour)
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt (sea salt)
    2 c quick cooking oats
    1 c raisins
    1/2 c chopped nuts (omitted)

    Heat oven to 375 F (350 F convection oven). Mix sugar, shortening,
    eggs, and maple syrup. Stir in remaining ingredients (I mixed the dry
    ingredients together then stirred in), mix well. Droup dough by rounded
    tsp about 2" apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until light brown.
    Remove from cookie sheet and cool.

    Yield: not given (I got 40 2 1/2" cookies)

    My notes: I think a little vanilla would be good in this recipe. Nuts
    were left out because DH doesn't care for nuts in cookies.

    Tags:

  2. ~patches~ wrote:

    > These actually came out quite good. Nice, chewy texture with quite a bit
    > of flavour. My changes are in brackets.
    >
    > 1 1/2 c sugar (raw sugar)
    > 1/2 c shortening
    > 2 eggs
    > 1/3 c pure maple syrup
    > 1 3/4 c all-purpose flour (unbleached flour)
    > 1 tsp baking soda
    > 1 tsp salt (sea salt)
    > 2 c quick cooking oats
    > 1 c raisins
    > 1/2 c chopped nuts (omitted)
    >
    > Heat oven to 375 F (350 F convection oven). Mix sugar, shortening, eggs,
    > and maple syrup. Stir in remaining ingredients (I mixed the dry
    > ingredients together then stirred in), mix well. Droup dough by rounded
    > tsp about 2" apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until light brown.
    > Remove from cookie sheet and cool.
    >
    > Yield: not given (I got 40 2 1/2" cookies)
    >
    > My notes: I think a little vanilla would be good in this recipe. Nuts
    > were left out because DH doesn't care for nuts in cookies.

    What grade of maple syrup did you use? I've read that Grade B is favored
    for most baking uses, but it's harder to find than Grade A.

    Bob

  3. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Bob Terwilliger wrote:

    > ~patches~ wrote:
    >

    >>These actually came out quite good. Nice, chewy texture with quite a bit
    >>of flavour. My changes are in brackets.
    >>
    >>1 1/2 c sugar (raw sugar)
    >>1/2 c shortening
    >>2 eggs
    >>1/3 c pure maple syrup
    >>1 3/4 c all-purpose flour (unbleached flour)
    >>1 tsp baking soda
    >>1 tsp salt (sea salt)
    >>2 c quick cooking oats
    >>1 c raisins
    >>1/2 c chopped nuts (omitted)
    >>
    >>Heat oven to 375 F (350 F convection oven). Mix sugar, shortening, eggs,
    >>and maple syrup. Stir in remaining ingredients (I mixed the dry
    >>ingredients together then stirred in), mix well. Droup dough by rounded
    >>tsp about 2" apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until light brown.
    >>Remove from cookie sheet and cool.
    >>
    >>Yield: not given (I got 40 2 1/2" cookies)
    >>
    >>My notes: I think a little vanilla would be good in this recipe. Nuts
    >>were left out because DH doesn't care for nuts in cookies.

    > What grade of maple syrup did you use? I've read that Grade B is favored
    > for most baking uses, but it's harder to find than Grade A.
    >
    > Bob

    I used Canada #1 Medium. I have Canada #1 Light but that is more for
    ice cream or pancakes, or at least that's how we use it. Is the US
    grading system for maple syrup the same as Canada's?