Maple syrup instead of GU?

Rockinfield

Mar 9, 2003
I have been taking those plastic refillable GU containers and filling them with maple syrup. Each container holds 1/2 cup of syrup which yeilds 400 calories. That is the calorie equivalent of 4 GU packs. To say this is a cheap replacement for GU is an understatement. I buy the maple syrup at Costco in bulk.

Since maple syrup is pretty much straight glycogen, it also has a very high GI rating which shoots insulin levels through the roof and back. I only use this on epic rides (to constantly throw fuel on the fire while riding).

Do you see a problem with this?

Remember that insulin's function is to remove glucose from the blood and move it into cells to be metabolized. As blood sugar levels start dropping back to normal, the system responds by making glucagon, which causes the release of glycogen (stored glucose) from your liver to prevent blood glucose from dropping even lower. You could end up with an unbalanced yo-yo effect, where too much of one leads to too much of the other, also known as a "sugar-crash" or hypoglycemia.
You really should aim to keep the bodies sugar level balance as "normal" or as close to "normal" as possible.

During exercise, the effects of insulin are blunted, and thus you don't get what is known as rebound hypoglycaemia.

In fact during exercise, you want to take in carbohydrates that are readily assimilated, such as glucose polymers/maltodextrin, which have a very high glycaemic index.

Ric

Originally posted by ricstern
During exercise, the effects of insulin are blunted, and thus you don't get what is known as rebound hypoglycaemia.

In fact during exercise, you want to take in carbohydrates that are readily assimilated, such as glucose polymers/maltodextrin, which have a very high glycaemic index.

Ric

Hi Ric,

As all those sportbars can be quite expensive, I recently decided to take a tube of liquid honey with me on the longer rides. This seems to be just as effective. From what you're writing, I understand that using honey would not have any negative effects while exercising?

Niek

Gu also has potassium (electrolytes) that need to be replenished during excercise.

Pure Maple Syrup? BLAH!!!

As Ric has said, insulin is suppresed once exercise has started.
This is a sensible response by the body as it means that you do
not get 'crashes' in blood glucose following a meal and can
continue to perform.

As a word of warning make sure that you are exercising before you
take high GI foods, otherwise you will get an increase in insulin.

A tube of honey or maple syrup does make a good alternative to
energy drinks, however they don't taste great eaten alone (at least
to me), are bad for your teeth, don't contain much water and are
likly to lead to stomache problems caused by their high
concentrations in simple sugars. These are therefore best
consumed with lots of water. Other good and cheap sources of
carbs include jelly babbies, honey or jam sandwiches, dried fruit,
etc. I once used Slim Fast bars as an alterantive to expensive
energy bars, as their composition is similar and they have a texture
that goes well with cycling!

Finaly, insulin after training can be useful as its anabolic, directs
glucose to muscles (i.e. increase glycogen stores) and favourably
alters fat metabolism.

This thread is all about using maple s instead of energy drinks or gel; so I guess GU is energy drink, gel or glucose.