Mapping with GPS unit and software

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Mehozi, Mar 11, 2003.

  1. Mehozi

    Mehozi Guest

    Hi all,

    I am interested in purchasing a global positioning unit and software
    to use to create maps and cue sheets for both road and off road rides.
    Can anyone offer me advice as to appropriate gps units and software?

    Thanks much, Mark

    Tags:

  2. Steve

    Steve Guest

    "mehozi" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am interested in purchasing a global positioning unit and software
    > to use to create maps and cue sheets for both road and off road rides.
    > Can anyone offer me advice as to appropriate gps units and software?
    >
    > Thanks much, Mark

    Here's some info. to start with:

    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ibikealot/navigatingbygps.htm

    SB

  3. Steve wrote:

    > "mehozi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I am interested in purchasing a global positioning unit and software
    > > to use to create maps and cue sheets for both road and off road rides.
    > > Can anyone offer me advice as to appropriate gps units and software?
    > >
    > > Thanks much, Mark
    >
    > Here's some info. to start with:
    >
    > http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ibikealot/navigatingbygps.htm
    >
    > SB

    I use an eTrex Vista, Garmin Mapsource, Delorme Street Atlas Deluxe, MS Excel, and SAD2CUE. SAD2CUE
    turns Street Atlas routes into beautiful cue sheets.

    The GPS and Vista are actually pretty optional once you've used SA and SAD2CUE. <G>

    Barry

  4. David Storm

    David Storm Guest

    I use a Garmin Legend and Delorme Topo. You can create routes with Topo (or with Delorme Street
    Atlas) on your computer and then transfer them directly to the GPS. I've used the GPS for everything
    from weekend rides to 3 week tours and it works very well. I wouldn't say it's necessary to have
    along, but it makes the rides more interesting, and, if used correctly, you always know where you're
    located. Just take along a lot of AA batteries. Also check out sci.geo.satellite-nav newsgroup.