Mapping with GPS unit and software

Mehozi

Guest
Hi all,

I am interested in purchasing a global positioning unit and software
to use to create maps and cue sheets for both road and off road rides.
Can anyone offer me advice as to appropriate gps units and software?

Thanks much, Mark

Steve wrote:

> "mehozi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am interested in purchasing a global positioning unit and software
> > to use to create maps and cue sheets for both road and off road rides.
> > Can anyone offer me advice as to appropriate gps units and software?
> >
> > Thanks much, Mark
>
> Here's some info. to start with:
>
> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ibikealot/navigatingbygps.htm
>
> SB

I use an eTrex Vista, Garmin Mapsource, Delorme Street Atlas Deluxe, MS Excel, and SAD2CUE. SAD2CUE
turns Street Atlas routes into beautiful cue sheets.

The GPS and Vista are actually pretty optional once you've used SA and SAD2CUE. <G>

Barry

I use a Garmin Legend and Delorme Topo. You can create routes with Topo (or with Delorme Street
Atlas) on your computer and then transfer them directly to the GPS. I've used the GPS for everything
from weekend rides to 3 week tours and it works very well. I wouldn't say it's necessary to have
along, but it makes the rides more interesting, and, if used correctly, you always know where you're
located. Just take along a lot of AA batteries. Also check out sci.geo.satellite-nav newsgroup.